News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

trim removal and looking for a piece

Started by original72, April 30, 2006, 10:38:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

original72

body work is moving along on my 72 SE.... the rear quarters are both sold with no rust on either which is a big plus.... but the minus is that some areas under what was the vinyl top are pretty rough.... does anyone make a panle to replace the one between the rear window and the trunk???? and also along these lines how do you get the trim off around the side windows.... already removed the trim around front and rear windows but cant figure how to get these off... thanks in advance for all the replies...

Bill

Todd Wilson

I am thinking you mean the trim around the small side windows.   Look at my picture here.

Right below the scat pack bee in the window theres a triangle of vinyl top still left.   The far left you see a hole.  To the right of that a few inchs you see a little metal wire/whisker.    This fits into your trim and is threaded with a nut on the inside. Similair to how the trim came off the back above the trunk lid. You had to take a few nuts off from inside the trunk.    Anyways  the rest have the little spring wires in the holes all the way up to the roof.   ONce you get the nut off  use a screw driver and pry gently up and it will pop right off.    My threaded holder was weak and broke and the trim came right off.  Otherwise you got to remove the inside side panels out of the back seat and unscrew the nut off the thread.

You can get replacement spring/wire deals  at any good body shop supply store.

The chrome trip that sits on the drip rail above the side windows can be easily removed with the rounded side of a good old fashion bottle opener!!!!

When putting the trim back on put these side window pieces back on and leave the nut off to allow for some movement to get your side trim back on and work your way back.  The trim should snap back onto the holders along the side and if they dont take a pair of glass snips and gentle pry on the trim piece ot make it wider. Only prying very little. Not even enough to see it spread and this can make it easier to get the trim to snap back down.As the movement pushs on the trim it will snap down and cause the trim to fold in a little bit and make it tight.   When its folded and tight you wont snap the trim back on the holders.  This is a very delicate process going back on because you got new paint sitting there waiting to be sratched!

Todd

purple70rt

Here is one out of a 73, not sure if they are the same, just sold one for a 72.  $150.00 plus shipping, will need to take rear glass out and trim down to ship, if your pick it up, you can have it all.  Shpping was hig, but it had the speaker tray also, if you do not need the speaker tray, I may be able to include shipping for same price.  looks good on back side, so I don't think there are any surprises under glass.  Trunk was great in the car as well.  I am in Missouri

NHCharger

Are you talking about this piece of trim?

When I removed mine I had the interior out of the car. I loosened the nut for the window height adjustment and moved it all the way down. This allowed the rear window to drop low enough to get at the three screws that hold the trim piece in place.
This is a pic of the back side of the trim showing where the holes for the screws are (I have the screws taped into the holes from the back side so I don't lose them).
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Nacho-RT74

72SE uses diferent trim on quarter opening... remember guys is smaller opening because has a fiber glass plug to make it look smaller and rectangular.

anyway, even I never have seen personally a 72 SE it must be similar to doors moldings, what are attached with phillips selftapping screws and fasteners on to doors. You need to remove first the weatherstripes getting first all the glasses completelly way down to be able to get acces to moldings screws.

about panel between rear glass and trunk... yes all 3rd gens are the same. SORRY No repros.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Todd Wilson

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on May 01, 2006, 11:06:51 PM
72SE uses diferent trim on quarter opening... remember guys is smaller opening because has a fiber glass plug to make it look smaller and rectangular.

anyway, even I never have seen personally a 72 SE it must be similar to doors moldings, what are attached with phillips selftapping screws and fasteners on to doors. You need to remove first the weatherstripes getting first all the glasses completelly way down to be able to get acces to moldings screws.

about panel between rear glass and trunk... yes all 3rd gens are the same. SORRY No repros.

My Dads 72 he bought new back in the day.

Todd