News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

what bellhousing to use

Started by DanielRobert, March 11, 2018, 01:06:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanielRobert

So, it seems to me, there were many different 4 speed bellhousings depending on what car/year you had. Will any of them work in other cars?  I'm talking about a big block bellhousing from a say, '64 Fury to a 69 Roadrunner or maybe a 71 Charger.  Will this stuff interchange even tho the part numbers are all different? Assuming the same diameter input bearing retainer.
1972 Charger
1969 Roadrunner
1974 Trans Am

c00nhunterjoe

Handshaker= blowproof in my opinion.

metallicareload99

Quote from: DanielRobert on March 11, 2018, 01:06:23 PM
So, it seems to me, there were many different 4 speed bellhousings depending on what car/year you had. Will any of them work in other cars?  I'm talking about a big block bellhousing from a say, '64 Fury to a 69 Roadrunner or maybe a 71 Charger.  Will this stuff interchange even tho the part numbers are all different? Assuming the same diameter input bearing retainer.

I don't know what your plans are long term or performance wise but I would consider it before buying anything. Long story short, I didn't really think about it, and while I do have a nice functioning and correct looking clutch set up for 1968 Charger, I would have done things differently.

It seems to me that aftermarket and performance is moving away from the iron bellhousing 143 tooth setup. All the scatter shield/blow proof stuff seems to be based on the 130 tooth setup. Hindsight being 20/20, I wish I went with a scatter shield, 130 tooth flywheel, and twin disc clutch from day 1.

Don't get me wrong, the stock stuff works great, but if you are after all out performance and don't care about the stock look then you might look into the scatter shield/hydraulic release bearing options out there.

I think you are correct in your first post, the key will be to get the components to match each other, regardless of what year they are. I.e:

- Bellhousing needs correct sized bore for the transmissions input bearing retainer. Big block or small block bolt pattern, and match your flywheel -- 130 tooth or 143 tooth. I believe if you get that straightened out the particular year or casting number on the bellhousing won't matter.

- Flywheel needs to have right amount of teeth to match your bellhousing, internal or external balance, 6 or 8 bolt crank. There may be two sizes of 130 tooth flywheels, the 10.5" or the "10.95", something to look into but I don't think interchange between them is a huge issue. Also 1965 and earlier parts might have compatibility issues, as I think the crank flange was different for those years.

- Clutch fork needs to match year range, engine and body type for your car, and probably the particular bellhousing you will use

There are a few more bellhousing/flywheels out there, but those are pretty rare
1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth

DanielRobert

Thank you for the great info....gonna be a stock type of build with maybe a casual trip down the strip. ( never done it, even tho I've owned some 40 classic cars)
1972 Charger
1969 Roadrunner
1974 Trans Am