News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Painting a chrome bumper.

Started by twilt, May 02, 2006, 09:35:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twilt

I am starting to do a little work on one of my 72`s this week and wanted input from people who have painted their bumpers body color. My philosophy here is to do things on the cheap, using parts that i already have on hand. Obviously paint will not adhere well to chrome. Will sandblasting a  bumper provide a rough enough surface for paint adhesion? BTW-  I am not interested in buying crap fiberglass bumpers or paying to have the chrome stripped off the bumpers i have - that would defeat the low buck approach i am using on this car. knowledgable input is appreciated. Thanks   

Drop Top

Sence you don't want to strip the bumper. Your only choice is to sand blast or find some one to use garnet on it. Garnet leaves a bit less pits in the metal to have to try to cover over. Just make sure you gey all the shinny finnish off the bumper.

Nacho-RT74

my advise... remove completely the chrome on any way you choose, shop, acid or manually with sandpaper... is only guarateed way to paint adhesion over bumper.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

kab69440

I had mine sandblasted, went over them again with a knotted wire cup, primed and painted them. I would still like to know what type of rubber coat was used on E-bod elastomerics. That is what I would like to do to my car.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

hemihead

Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

doctorpimp

'73 Coupe, 470, Keisler 5spd, 3.55 SG; Petty Blue; Hideaway Headlights.

www.cardomain.com/ride/2119216

Mfr426

I sandblasted a new timing chain cover (chrome) and painted it with good results.

hotrod98

We've been painting chrome bumpers for years. We sand the bumpers with 80 grit paper on a da sander. We then epoxy prime, urethane prime (several coats), final sand, seal and paint base clear to match the car. If the bumper is hit with rocks or something, it will chip. All paint will chip. But it's going to chip if you remove the chrome as well. Don't waste your time removing the chrome.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

hotrod98

Oh yeah...sandblasting will work just as well, maybe better. We have sandblasted a few of the bumpers around here before painting them.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

doctorpimp

Quote from: hotrod98 on May 04, 2006, 10:03:34 AM
We've been painting chrome bumpers for years. We sand the bumpers with 80 grit paper on a da sander. We then epoxy prime, urethane prime (several coats), final sand, seal and paint base clear to match the car. If the bumper is hit with rocks or something, it will chip. All paint will chip. But it's going to chip if you remove the chrome as well. Don't waste your time removing the chrome.
Has anyone tried a rubberized coating on the bumper prior to paint?
Kind of like rocker-guard but smooth?
'73 Coupe, 470, Keisler 5spd, 3.55 SG; Petty Blue; Hideaway Headlights.

www.cardomain.com/ride/2119216

twilt

Thanks for all the replies. Since Hotrods 80 grit/DA method seems to be the simplest idea, I think i will give it a shot.  :2thumbs: