News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 rear stripe

Started by roger01, May 02, 2006, 04:39:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roger01

what kind of mild detergent do you use to make your soapy water when intsalling ....the instructions say to use dreft,..vel or surf...and i have not heard of any of these are they laundry detergent ?and wouldnt laundry detergent be too abrassive?.....thanks

Just 6T9 CHGR

I used "Dreft" when I did mine.  It is a very mild baby detergent....at the time I was doing my stripe my youngest was still an infant so I had some on hand.

Its readilly available at your supermarket.

http://www.dreftbaby.com/
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

bill440rt

Really??
I used Surf, dude.  :punkrocka:  You only need a little bit in a squirt bottle.
Tip: Make sure your surface is CLEAN, & wax/grease free. Wipe it down with a good wax & grease remover (DuPont's Final Clean is excellent). Make sure you use a tack rag before spraying the soap solution to remove any lint, & make sure your spray bottle is also new. Otherwise, you'll see any dirt nib trapped underneath the surface as a bump in the decal.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

roger01

can someone tell me where to put this stripe i know its centred over the side markers but how far in fron the edge of the trunk?

thanks

bill440rt

Roger,
If you center the side stripes over the side markers, that will tell you where to put the top stripe on. You want to put the sides on first, then to top stripe.
Lay the side stripes on first, & use low-tack masking tape to hold them in place (the blue 3M stuff). Then, lay your top stripe on the car. Once you have the general layout, then you can start applying them. I like to put pieces of masking tape parallel with the decals & lightly mark them with a pencil or marker as a guide mark. I peel off the paper backing, spray them with soap, & then line up my marks. Then I know I have them in the proper location. Everyone has their own little trick, I like to do it that way.

The top stripe will end up being about 2-1/2" to 3" or so away from the back edge of the deck lid.

Attached is a pic of my '70 to get a general idea.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

bill440rt

This is my '68 stripe. It is about 3" or so away from the back edge. About 1/2" up of where the "spoiler" flattens out, that is about where the edge of the stripe is.
(Nevermind my dog...)  :P

roger01

thanks guys ...i got it on  turned out great except for a few small bubbles ....hopefully they,ll be gone in the morning ....they will go away ...wont they ?

resq302

Roger, a friend of mine does custom lettering and vinyl graphics.  According to him, with time and the heat of the sun and warm days, the vinyl will have its microscopic pores (kind of like skin) open with the heat and release the air trapped in there.  If it does not, take a VERY small pin and poke the bubble, then squeegie out the air.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

roger01

i hope hes right ....theres not many but the ones that are there real.....ly............ bug me

greenpigs

You want to fix the bubbles while it is fresh, I doubt they will go away on there own.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Dave22443

When I put my stripe on my '68, I too had a few bubbles in one spot.  Couldn't get them out to save me.  About a week later, after the car had been in the sun a lot, I happened to look and was amazed to see that all the bubbles were gone!

I went from  :flame: I'm going to have to rip it off and try again... to  :icon_smile_big: Looks good!

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
- Abraham Lincoln