News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Quarter Glass "J" shaped Chrome j-nuts

Started by ChargerRT69, March 26, 2018, 09:09:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChargerRT69

I am needing some guidance/help in finding a couple replacement j-nuts that is used to hold the "J" chrome piece on the rear quarter windows. I did not pay attention close enough, but apparently when I got my Charger back from the body shop, they must have "knocked" off 2 of the j-nuts from the drivers side. There is a paint outline where the j-nut was in place at the time they painted, but is not there now. Each side takes 4 of these and I have all of them for the passenger side, but only 2 for the drivers side.

Has anyone found a place to buy these? I have looked at many websites (restoration and just hardware suppliers) with no luck. The problem is the deep throat or insertion depth that these have. The estimate max depth of the j-nut to the center of the screw hole is about 7/8".

If they do not reproduce these.... anyone have 2 for sale or a work around to install the "J" chrome?

Thanks in advance!

NHCharger

I was missing half of mine while restoring my latest money pit. I just made some from some left over patch panel piece I had
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

ChargerRT69

Quote from: NHCharger on March 27, 2018, 09:04:17 PM
I was missing half of mine while restoring my latest money pit. I just made some from some left over patch panel piece I had

Thanks NHCharger..... I ended up calling a buddy and he had some spares.

ChargerRT69

*** UPDATE ***

Not that I need them anymore, but I was looking on R/T Specialties website and saw that they now make the LONG J NUT 68-72 B-BODY QTR BELT TRIM that I had to go scrounge out of a junk lot to get enough to replace the ones that were broken on my restorer. Here is the link and a picture of the set!

B-BODY QTR PANEL BELT TRIM LONG J CLIP
SOLD AS A SET OF 8 CLIPS AND SCREWS

http://www.rtspecialties.net/proddetail.asp?prod=6026552

For the price of $29.00 at the time of this posting, that would have saved me money in gas and time searching.

BLK 68 R/T

If I remember right, there are actually only 3 per side even though it looks like 4 are needed.

ChargerRT69

Quote from: BLK 68 R/T on April 05, 2019, 11:19:07 AM
If I remember right, there are actually only 3 per side even though it looks like 4 are needed.

Mine had 4 ('69 Charger) as you can see on my picture earlier in this post. The chrome has 4 screw holes. I am pretty sure the '68 and '70 are the same way as I took some j-nut out of a junked '68 to use on mine.

BLK 68 R/T

Maybe it's an early vs late 68 and on thing? I don't know  :shruggy:
Found my old thread from asking the same question  :cheers:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,128059.0.html

ChargerRT69

Quote from: BLK 68 R/T on April 05, 2019, 12:07:18 PM
Maybe it's an early vs late 68 and on thing? I don't know  :shruggy:
Found my old thread from asking the same question  :cheers:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,128059.0.html

Well maybe there was only 3 on a 1968 Charger. I know the '69 did have 4, but now you got me interested. The place I got my j-nuts from has a lot of '68 and I will be looking the next time I am out to his place.

kent

Kent

BLK 68 R/T

Maybe it just depends on what plant it was built at or who was doing the work and how much they knew. I agree, it sure looks like 4 are needed per side, but if 3 works and that's what you have, well.... Guess in the long run it really doesn't matter if there are 3 or 4 per side as long as it is secure and fits properly. Kind of like the top of door trim, some cars have the stud clip at the rear of the trim and some don't. I think that was another early/late 68 thing as well?

ChargerRT69

Now I am more curious as my chrome has 4 places for screws.... If the ones that only use 3 clips.... Does you chrome piece only have 3 holes for the screws?

kent

^^^^^ Yes 4 holes^^^^^

Sorry just seen this. My bad.
Kent

ChargerRT69

Quote from: kent on December 30, 2019, 01:27:49 PM
^^^^^ Yes 4 holes^^^^^

Sorry just seen this. My bad.

I installed mine using 4 j-hooks and screws

'69 Charger R/T built January 27, 1969

kent

Another birthday coming up! :2thumbs:

I think I will do the same.
Kent

VegasCharger

While we're on the subject, does anyone have a pic of the OEM screws that are used for these clips. My '68 had slotted screws (flat blade screwdriver) in which I know aren't original.

Thanks  :cheers:

kent

Well guess what I found out. I had the four of them when I went looking for the screws.  Any way here are a few shots with measurements for you VegasCharger.
Hope this helps. I found a few new ones to replace one that I'm missing. I don't think they are that hard to find.

Kent

VegasCharger

Quote from: kent on January 06, 2020, 07:57:49 PM.....Any way here are a few shots with measurements for you VegasCharger.....

Wow thanks Kent.  :2thumbs: :cheers:

kent

No problem Vegas
Here to help as much as I can. I may need the favor in return someday. ;)
Kent

ChargerRT69

gtx6970

The screws were a #8 countersunk flat head screw. 1/2" long
Avail pretty much anywhere that sells hardware.
Home depot even has them in small packs