News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Re-body 1970 v code charger

Started by Bdlakey, April 02, 2018, 12:39:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Homerr

1. Denial
2. Anger
3. Bargaining  <--we are here now
4. Depression
5. Acceptance

cbrestorations

I see rebodies for sale ever now and then, some blatantly obvious with a 70 vin on a 68 body, you know what happens to those cars...nothing. I've even seen some advertised as a rebody, you know what happened to that car...it sold. Some people don't care and just want a charger. Only time bad shit happens is when a thief revins a stolen car. As long as you own both vins titled in ur name...golden

paironines

These threads never get anywhere. Is there anyone out there that has PURCHASED a rebody car either knowingly or unknowingly and can tell us what they think? Maybe pictures too.

alfaitalia

I'm not from the US....obviously.......but surely folks opinions on rebodies are irrelevant or what state its done in. Its against Federal Law which from my understanding over rules state law in all States. So its illegal surely. Like people who decat cars in States with no annual safety check (or at least no emissions check) ....they might never get caught because nobody ever checks.....but its illegal none the less.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

Alaskan_TA

Gotta love the Federal laws that take precedence over state laws. This car was seized & verified as a VIN swap car, details at http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/1244228/1.html

I work with these legal agencies when needed.

Why dump money in a VIN swap car that can later be seized?

VIN swapping is an idiotic concept.

cbrestorations

Difference there is he had no original body stamping....all u need like I said earlier vin (attached to dash) body stampings and title. Without the stampings you have nothing to tie the vin to that body. If he would of had those on that car instead of some other car number he could of told the investigators "see ya". I've already had the state at my place...showed them titles in my name that matched pieces of cars. I'm golden 😁😁😁. Those are the only important parts of the car that have to be there. Since the vin tag doesn't actually attach to the body just the dash frame is all u need. How many of you guys remove the dash to restore ur dash? How many of you have removed the vin tag from the dash and used repop rivits? Also illegal without the proper paperwork lol.
Ur not supposed to have as many cars as I do on the property but since they are all the same make and classics I can stack these sucker, slice and dice them to fix because it is seen as a hobby. I'm under the "hobbyist" clause and beeze all good in the hood. It was funny to see the inspectors face when I dropped the box of titles on the hood and said "which one you wanna see first" lol winning

cbrestorations

Oh another thing I was told by the inspector...it's better to have no body stampings (amd replacements) than the wrong stampings. On 68's you have to school them on the production number vs vin number.  One of the 68 r/ts in my backyard didn't match with vin and body stamping...duh it's a 68, never will on any of them.

Is school still in session or are we laying this to rest?

Alaskan_TA

Quote from: cbrestorations on April 03, 2018, 01:21:23 PM
Difference there is he had no original body stamping....all u need like I said earlier vin (attached to dash) body stampings and title. Without the stampings you have nothing to tie the vin to that body. If he would of had those on that car instead of some other car number he could of told the investigators "see ya". I've already had the state at my place...showed them titles in my name that matched pieces of cars. I'm golden 😁😁😁. Those are the only important parts of the car that have to be there. Since the vin tag doesn't actually attach to the body just the dash frame is all u need. How many of you guys remove the dash to restore ur dash? How many of you have removed the vin tag from the dash and used repop rivits? Also illegal without the proper paperwork lol.
Ur not supposed to have as many cars as I do on the property but since they are all the same make and classics I can stack these sucker, slice and dice them to fix because it is seen as a hobby. I'm under the "hobbyist" clause and beeze all good in the hood. It was funny to see the inspectors face when I dropped the box of titles on the hood and said "which one you wanna see first" lol winning

QuoteInsert Quote
Oh another thing I was told by the inspector...it's better to have no body stampings (amd replacements) than the wrong stampings. On 68's you have to school them on the production number vs vin number.  One of the 68 r/ts in my backyard didn't match with vin and body stamping...duh it's a 68, never will on any of them.

Show the same exact things to the Feds & see who learns what. ;-)

cbrestorations

Marijuana is illegal per Feds, we had a crop in California and made bunches of money, shoot that's what paid for some of my chargers lol. We got state license, grew the legal allowed quantity and guess what happened...not a damn thing. Grey areas for the win 😁

Lennard

Well now you've done it, you hoodlum!   :lol:

69CoronetRT

Quote from: cbrestorations on April 03, 2018, 01:36:19 PM
Oh another thing I was told by the inspector...it's better to have no body stampings (amd replacements) than the wrong stampings. On 68's you have to school them on the production number vs vin number.  One of the 68 r/ts in my backyard didn't match with vin and body stamping...duh it's a 68, never will on any of them.

I'm impressed.

I don't think I'd feel comfortable leaving a digital trail of evidence that could be used at a trial.

Ever consider your posts just may come back to haunt you some day?

But.....you're in the right so....no worries......you're good.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

cbrestorations

I've gotta do something wrong first to be in a trial lol

Challenger340

I guess a guy could make an argument both ways , legalities, ethics,....
But with some of the really extensive restorations being undertaken on these Cars, I mean darn near every panel nowadays being replaced with re-pop stuff ?
just say'in...
Some would qualify as a "rebody" anyways ?

Replace the trunk floor/drops, 1/4's, Fenders, inner fenders, Hood, Roof, Floorpans, maybe doors or a frame rail or 2 as well if rotted... and PRESTO !
What's the diff in just lifting up a VIN tag, and squirreling another Car underneath ?

Oh Look.... I restored my Firewall, a-Pillars and 2 of 4 frame rails.... WHAT an "original" Car ?

Anybody remember that GYC episode where the guy showed up with a crushed Daytona from a Ravine ?  What did he have ?
* a piece of twisted Rad Support
* a crushed Dash VIN
* another "piece" I think of the rear quarter panel with the VIn stamping
* not much else other than a few rusted twisted pieces of metal un-recognizable as anything BUT a Car !

Never saw the end or found out what happened with that "project" ?  Did that guy spend $100K restoring THAT ...... ahem..... "Daytona" ?
Only wimps wear Bowties !

Edelbroke

Because then you'd have a different car under your vin tag. I believe the consensus is if the tag doesn't leave the dash you can start with a vin tag and whatever solid metal is left around it. Some people like to remove tags during a restoration, (Wayne Carinne argues this is ok in a chasing classic cars episode) There's no reason for that...

Edit- was replying to a post that disappeared

birdsandbees

There's generally rust under the tag... OH NO.. I broke the law...

Dumb part is the VIN tag is only attached to the removable dash!

1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

Alaskan_TA

The drug reference does not surprise me at all.

In some places, loose VIN tags are illegal to possess too.

Keep posting please?

I like to take screen captures, I really do.   :cheers:

cbrestorations

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on April 03, 2018, 09:54:58 PM

Keep posting please?

Sure what ya wanna know? Take screen shots all u want buddy. Go ahead and subscribe to my YouTube channel so u can watch me commit these evil crimes lol. Don't know where ur at but around here marijuana is like damn cigarette. Can smoke in front of the police station. I don't smoke myself...was all revenue 😁.

Lennard

Quote from: cbrestorations on April 03, 2018, 10:03:41 PM
Quote from: Alaskan_TA on April 03, 2018, 09:54:58 PM

Keep posting please?

Sure what ya wanna know? Take screen shots all u want buddy. Go ahead and subscribe to my YouTube channel so u can watch me commit these evil crimes lol. Don't know where ur at but around here marijuana is like damn cigarette. Can smoke in front of the police station. I don't smoke myself...was all revenue 😁.
Don't feed the trolls.  :icon_smile_big:

Edelbroke

I got excited when I saw that loose 70 Superbee tag and had to check the numbers on a car I had that somebody had taken the tag off (prior to me owning)
I owned a Lime light 70 Superbee with the body numbers : GO144998. It was missing the vin tag when I bought it and am still looking for the car that's wearing it

6pkrtse

If it were me. I would use whatever repro AMD sheet metal it takes to salvage the V code car & save the other donor car also or sell to someone else to restore if O.P. didn't want two cars. 
1963 Belvedere 413 Max Wedge
1970 Charger R/T S.E. 440 sixpack.
1970 Challenger R/T Drag Radial 528 Hemi
1970 Charger 500 S.E. 440 4 BBL
1970 Road Runner 383 4 BBL
1974 Chrysler New Yorker 440 4 BBL
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 V-10 488 cu in.
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD Dually 6x6
2012 Challenger R/T Classic

alfaitalia

Quote from: Edelbroke on April 04, 2018, 07:03:56 AM
I got excited when I saw that loose 70 Superbee tag and had to check the numbers on a car I had that somebody had taken the tag off (prior to me owning)
I owned a Lime light 70 Superbee with the body numbers : GO144998. It was missing the vin tag when I bought it and am still looking for the car that's wearing it

So does that mean there might be two cars wearing the same VIN?? That could not happen here as all DMV stuff if done at one central office.....bit different there I guess where each state does its own thing.

Ghoste

Put three identical cars up for sale at the same time, a rebody, a perfectly restored to oem day one lookalike original and a low mileage survivor.  I wonder what one brings the most interest?

6pkrtse

I might get a little more excited than your average Viagara user just to see 3 side by side. I wouldn't care which one was rebodied, original or restored. They are all still just as cool to me. 
1963 Belvedere 413 Max Wedge
1970 Charger R/T S.E. 440 sixpack.
1970 Challenger R/T Drag Radial 528 Hemi
1970 Charger 500 S.E. 440 4 BBL
1970 Road Runner 383 4 BBL
1974 Chrysler New Yorker 440 4 BBL
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 V-10 488 cu in.
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD Dually 6x6
2012 Challenger R/T Classic

alfaitalia

Quote from: Ghoste on April 04, 2018, 07:35:38 AM
Put three identical cars up for sale at the same time, a rebody, a perfectly restored to oem day one lookalike original and a low mileage survivor.  I wonder what one brings the most interest?

Ill take option 2 please!