News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Column to Floor Conversion.

Started by Ponch ®, May 03, 2006, 01:59:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ponch ®

I just bought one of these on ePay.

I figured I'd get this done now that I'm also working on the engine swap, so I don't have issues with the headers and the column linkage.

I've been told the whole operation is pretty simply...cut the hole on the floor, and hook up the linkages (this shifter is NOT cable operated).

But anyway...any more tips on this? 
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Ponch ®

"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

SeattleCharger

Hey,  Vito,   :apimp:   My car was a column shift, now a B&M ratchet floor shifter.   Don't know how it was done though.  I still have the gear indicator in a box that was on top of the column.   So column doesn't look like it was a column shift.   

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

Ponch ®

Quote from: SeattleChargerDog on May 31, 2006, 04:01:39 PM
  Hey,  Vito,   :apimp:   My car was a column shift, now a Hurst floor.   Don't know how it was done though.  I still have the gear indicator in a box that was on top of the column.   So column doesn't look like it was a column shift.   

Seems like the install won't be too difficult, but I do have a couple of concerns:

1) the shifter apparently simply connects to the tranny selector, but the linkage rods that come with the kit are either too long or are bent in such a way that they will hit the tranny and other stuff around there.

2) the reason I decided to do the swap was to have an easier time with the headers...however, it seems that I'm supposed to keep all the column linkage stuff if I want the neutral switch and back-up lights to work.

sean68charger

i have headers and column shift, no probs with clearance :shruggy:
68 Charger 440 R/T<br />Burnout Bandit!!!

Runner

i dont want to be mean, but those shifters are junk.    and i mean garbage!!. i had one in a pickup along time ago.  you would be better off using the factory column shifter. i dont know what body your working with but mboth our 69 small block coronet and our 68 plymouth satillite bigblock car have headers and colum shift and had no issues whatso ever with the linkage.  on our 71 plymouth roadrunner bigblock car i had to refab a bracket to get it to work as per the instructions but it was pretty straight forward. i have sence swaped it over to a factory slapstick and absolutly love the shifter.   if you are set on usiing an aftermarket shifter id go with something a little better.   ii believe the turbo action shifter has a rear entry cable so you shouldnt have any iassues with it burning up.    good luck with your project

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

Runner

one more thing,  if your working on a mopar tthe backup lights and safty switch is ran off the gear selector in the tranny. so as long as the tranny itself is shifter and everything worked before your in good hands, well other than that shifter ;(

TylerCharger69

I have a B&M ratchet shifter...and I love it!!!  So what if I removed the console??....It was toast anyway...lol   I like the position that it sits better than the stock console shifter...but....it's just preference ;)

Runner

Quote from: TylerCharger69 on May 31, 2006, 10:45:32 PM
I have a B&M ratchet shifter...and I love it!!!  So what if I removed the console??....It was toast anyway...lol   I like the position that it sits better than the stock console shifter...but....it's just preference ;)

a ratchet shifter and what he has are worlds apart.  basically all the shifter does is sit on a pivot with a rod coming out the bottom that goes to the shift lever on the tranny. in every case ive seen these, its a chore just to find the right gear , and forget about trying to manual shift unless you like to go into reverse or park while rolling down the road. the shift patten is so close its not even funny with no postive stop. 

again im not trying to put him down but the factory colum shifter is far better than this one.   

SeattleCharger

This is the set up that was in my car when I got it. (pic)  

The car was a 318 column shift from the factory,  but a previous owner changed the car to a 440 with floor ratchet B&M shifter, 2500 stall.  The column has the shift indicator removed like I was saying, so there isn't anything I know of that looks like it was a colunm shift car.   But I haven't got the motor rebuilt and installed yet, so I haven't got to drive the car yet!   Sooner than later I hope.   Hoping the shifter works well, I don't know. 

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

TylerCharger69

Oh....I was just saying  what seems to work good for mine...but yes...the one he bought is a cheapie

Ponch ®

thanks for the replies. I know its a cheapie...in fact, I only paid like $45 for it w/ shipping. It seemed like it would be the easiest to install and I liked the simple look of it. Having said that, I did read a lot of bad things about cable shifters, so that also came into play when I was looking for one.

either way...if it does turn out to be junk, I can always put something a little better on there later on...but since im on a budget, right now my priority is getting the rest of the engine related stuff I'm gonna need for the swap im doing (318 to 360 on a 74 Charger).

TylerCharger69

Well...my ratchet shifter is cable..and it seems to be very accurate!!!