News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

welding frame connectors, tips for welding upside down

Started by runningman, May 04, 2006, 06:48:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

runningman

got a set of the new laser cut frame connectors, they are made to be fitted to the floor contours and welded completely.  Any tips for welding the 11ga connectors to the sheetmetal floors upside down without burning through?.

Drop Top

Get the right safety equipment before you start. I just paid a doctor to remove a piece of metal out of the eye of an employee. He was wearing all of his safety equipment and still got a piece of metal in his eye. What made me mad is, all he had to do was turn the car over. It was on a rotisserie. Too big of a hurry. Other then that. Weld it like you would any other panel. The better you fit it the easier it will weld in. The cleaner the metal, the better also. The piece may be new but the underside isn't. Work the heavier metal into the thinner metal. In other words start your weld with the thicker side and blend it in with the thinner side. Alot depends on what your doing the job with. Mig, Tig or other.

Drop Top

Forgot the most obvious. Don't weld directly underneath it. Try to get yourself off to the side, if possable.

runningman

Always am safe when doing and grinding and what not.  I wear safety goggles and dust mask.  Thanks for the info (again), I should have added some things.  The floor is completely new, I am just doing some finish grinding and sanding on the butt welded areas (will post pics soon).  The old floor was removed at the factory spot weld areas, both rear sections also new and butt welded.  Using a Millermatic 135 mig welder to do the welding..

4402tuff4u

I would run the mig welder a bit colder than usual than if you were welding topside. Place a fan blowing in the work area - blowing downwind from you. Once you start welding to the underside, you will start possibly creating allot of smoke from the old paint or undercarriage protective coating. It will help you in visibility, breathing protection and cooling of metal to a small extent. Again, start the welder at a lower/colder setting keep wire speed fairly quick. Tack the piece in place first. I have a Millermatic 210 and it's a very friendly user machine and when I did the floor pans I started at a lower setting and then increased it until I had a nice even bead and cracking sound when welding. Never did burn through. And last but surely not least, as mentioned by other members here, makesure you wear long sleeve shirt/leather work jacket if you have one and the required safety equipment - dont cut corners. Good luck and post some photo's when you get a chance.
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

B5 Charger

Where did you get those frame connectors?  I have never seen any like that before.

runningman

They are new, I got mine from Manicini's.  You can also get them from the manufacturer.  www.uscartool.com

daytonalo

DON'T USE A FAN , IT WILL BLOW THE ARGON AWAY AND THE WELD WILL LOOK LIKE ONE OF JERRY'S KID'S WELDED IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wetfeetmi

QuoteDON'T USE A FAN , IT WILL BLOW THE ARGON AWAY AND THE WELD WILL LOOK LIKE ONE OF JERRY'S KID'S WELDED IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is EXACTLY what i was going to say.  Take heed!

runningman

okay thanks guys, hopefully I will have them by the end of the week.  I will post some pics

PocketThunder

Who is Jerry?
  I've heard that saying before.....somewhere.
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

AirborneSilva

Quote from: PocketThunder on May 09, 2006, 03:03:28 PM
Who is Jerry?

On the off chance you are not kidding, he is refering to Jerry Lewis, the comedian who also does a telethon for muscular distrophy (spelling?)

1970440RT

I welded mine in by fitting the ties in with a floor jack and tracing the outline onto the underneath of the floorpan.  Next, drop the frame tie down and drill small holes all along the inside of the lines you just created.  Every inch or so should be plenty.  Fit the frame ties back up with the floor jack and weld the frame ties from the top ( inside the car ) through the little holes.  Fill the holes and grind.  Then go back underneath, put the welder on a cold setting and fill in between the previous welds.  This is mainly for looks and can be omitted as the welds from the top are what is actually doing the bonding.  You shouldn't have any burn through and a much stronger connection overall.  To get the heavy guage tie to bond correctly, you need mucho heat.  Too much heat to not burn through the thin floor sheetmetal by welding from underneath.  The frame ties are actually thicker than the subframe factory material that you are trying to weld to at each end.  The finished product looks absolutely like it was on the car from the factory.     

PocketThunder

Quote from: AirborneSilva on May 09, 2006, 08:22:23 PM
Quote from: PocketThunder on May 09, 2006, 03:03:28 PM
Who is Jerry?

On the off chance you are not kidding, he is refering to Jerry Lewis, the comedian who also does a telethon for muscular distrophy (spelling?)

No, i wasnt kidding.  thanks for the heads up.
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."