News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1977 engine... will it still work in a 69?

Started by proud_owner68, May 06, 2006, 03:25:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

proud_owner68

Well earlier I posted that my dad found a engine out of a 1970 dodge pickup. Things sounded promising that it could be plugged into my 69 charger. But I guess he really didnt know exactly what year it was and now he said its definitly a 1977 truck..  So as of now I have my doubts that it could still fit in my 69 charger.  I hate to think of losing all that horse.. but if its still possible and easy enough to put in my car I think I will still do it.  What do we think here?

Steve P.

Anything can be made to fit into anything.. That said, we will need more info. What is coming out? What tranny? What is going in with what tranny? ???
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Doc74

I have a '78 440 in my 69, it was in when I got but I doubt if they had to do any mods to make it fit since all core blocks are the same.
And horses can be brought back real easy, any 440 from any year can be souped up.

haueter66

yep.  the 440 in my 71 came from a 73 motorhome!

proud_owner68

Quote from: Doc74 on May 06, 2006, 03:58:05 PM
I have a '78 440 in my 69, it was in when I got but I doubt if they had to do any mods to make it fit since all core blocks are the same.
And horses can be brought back real easy, any 440 from any year can be souped up.

What are some ways that can bring back the horse power in those late 70's engines?

proud_owner68

Quote from: Steve P. on May 06, 2006, 03:49:24 PM
Anything can be made to fit into anything.. That said, we will need more info. What is coming out? What tranny? What is going in with what tranny? ???

Well the car didnt even have a engine or transmission in it. But is is a R/T 440 car.   I'm thinking I will use the transmission that was in my 68.  Im rebuilding the 383 for that and it will take some time.  Both cars are in the same conditon (needing ALOT of work)  But I was told its better to fix up the R/T first  because its worth more.  This 77' 440 engine is suppose to run and also come with the truck transmission, so I think it would be the fastest way to  get this car going. but Im not sure if the truck transmission will work in a car??   

Well.. this guy also said he knows a guy that has a siezed up 383 and transmission out of a Duster too..  He wants 500 for that and 350 for the  440..  Im not sure waht is best..

Big Lebowski

Sorry, low compression, cast crank, thin walled crap, etc. Whip out $4000 for a 500 ci stroker kit, go big. :yesnod:
"Let me explain something to you, um i am not Mr. Lebowski, you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the dude, so that's what you call me. That or his dudeness, or duder, or you know, el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

Doc74

Quote from: Big Lebowski on May 06, 2006, 05:57:21 PM
Sorry, low compression, cast crank, thin walled crap, etc. Whip out $4000 for a 500 ci stroker kit, go big. :yesnod:

Stroker is always fun, no arguments there, compression would need to be bumped up indeed, altough that would require higher octane fuel and the crank changed, depending on what the driver wants but the thin wall myth is just that, the truth's been unearthed a while ago and it seems they are all the same throughout all years.
Check this out, very interesting read.

http://www.440source.com/blockinfo.htm

Steve P.

I believe you will need to change the oil pan and pick up tube from truck to "B" body and the motor mounts. Manifolds are probably also different. All else should work for you.
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

The oil pan, manifolds, and water pump are all different.  The water pump exits on the wrong side if I remember correctly.  The horsepower difference between a stock 78 truck motor and a stock 69 charger motor is probably minimal.  You have to remember that the way horsepower ratings were determined changed in the early 70's.  The smog issue is negligible because trucks were all but exempt from smog regulations.  Thin walls are a myth.  Later 440's are just as strong as their muscle era counterparts.  The crank I believe is cast so that may need changed if you're going to be upping the horses.

If you're getting a trans with it, it's probably gonna be a short shaft 727.  I believe these will work fine in a Charger but the driveshaft is a different style and length.  No problem just something you have to address. 
When I was just a very young lad I looked up and told my dad, a bareback rider's what I wanna be.  I want the whole world to know about me.  In the rodeo arena I'll make my stand.  I wanna be a rodeo man.  I'll come flyin' from the chute with my spurs up high, chaps and boots reachin' for the sky.  Spurin' wild with my head throwed back, you'll ask 'Who's that,' well that's Bareback Jack.  You'll ask 'Who's that,' well that's Bareback Jack.