News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Tanks Inc. Fuel Injection, access hatch?

Started by Hemidog, February 12, 2019, 02:51:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemidog

Has anybody with a Tanks Inc. fuel injection tank cut a hole in the trunk floor pan, to more easily access fuel pump and sending unit?
It is mentioned as a recommendation in the instruction manual, and sounds like a good idea...  :scratchchin:

metallicareload99

I think it is a good idea and it might turn out nicer if you plan on doing it from the get go.  Last summer I put a new fuel pump in and I just hacked into the trunk floor.  It looks terrible and I'll have to fix it @ some point
1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth

Ryan.C

I just installed my Tanks INC EFI fuel tank on my 69 for use with my Sniper EFI system last night. And I noticed the same fuel access door cut into the trunk floor recommendation in the instructions. Its is easy enough to drop the tank and do any repair without the butchery of cutting up the truck floor. I disregarded the instructions recommendation and moved on with my install.
There are few problems in life that cannot be solved with C-4.

Derwud

Well... I have a tanks Inc, tank and pump... Wired and plumbed it all up and went to check the system and NO FUEL was being pumped!! So Tank back out, with 7 gallons or so of fuel in it.. PIA, but based on where the hole would need to be and bending over the trunk to get to it.. I will drop the tank..
1970 Dodge Charger R/T.. Owned since 1981

WHITE AND RED 69

Sure makes it convenient. Especially with a full tank of gas.

Here's a pic of Pat's that he made. I went with the Tanks Inc. door but his looks way cleaner.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

Ryan.C

I withdrawal my butchery statement, that looks clean :coolgleamA:
There are few problems in life that cannot be solved with C-4.

metallicareload99

:iagree:

That is a lot more access then I had which I think would make the job a lot quicker and easier.  How do you guys deal with the filler neck grommet?  I had a hell of time getting the neck to go into the new grommet when I installed the new tank
1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth

Derwud

If and when I get my Trunk floor replaced, I will have a door made.

John_Kunkel

Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on February 12, 2019, 06:44:54 PM
Here's a pic of Pat's that he made. I went with the Tanks Inc. door but his looks way cleaner.

How is the flange with the screw holes attached to the trunk floor?
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: John_Kunkel on February 13, 2019, 01:32:22 PM
Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on February 12, 2019, 06:44:54 PM

How is the flange with the screw holes attached to the trunk floor?

I see spot welds.

Hemidog

That does look nice.  :o If I could make something like that, I might go that route.... I was worried that you had to cut on the upward section of the trunk floor, but it does not look like you have to.
I have the 2 split aftermarket trunk floor, so I do not mind a little cutting  :hack:

Hemidog

Quote from: metallicareload99 on February 13, 2019, 01:14:40 AM
:iagree:

That is a lot more access then I had which I think would make the job a lot quicker and easier.  How do you guys deal with the filler neck grommet?  I had a hell of time getting the neck to go into the new grommet when I installed the new tank

The filler neck is a PITA, especially with a new grommet. I used WD40 (And alot of it) to reinstall.

Kern Dog

Put the grommet in a bucket of warm water to soften it, then install it all as fast as possible before the grommet cools off.

flyinlow

I put a hatch on my '73. Spare tire hides it.

Having the hatch and a spare pump in the trunk tool kit guarantees   the pump in the tank will not fail.

Derwud

Quote from: flyinlow on February 14, 2019, 06:05:40 AM
I put a hatch on my '73. Spare tire hides it.

Having the hatch and a spare pump in the trunk tool kit guarantees   the pump in the tank will not fail.

100%..

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Kern Dog on February 13, 2019, 11:58:27 PM
Put the grommet in a bucket of warm water to soften it, then install it all as fast as possible before the grommet cools off.

Or coat the grommet with K-Y Jelly.  :icon_smile_big:
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Hemidog

People love pictures  ;)

I can JUST tighten the supply line from the trunk.

All in all a success  :cheers: