News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

B5 blue for 1969 (paint question)

Started by Just 6T9 CHGR, May 10, 2006, 07:17:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just 6T9 CHGR

Posting for a friend......

QuoteMy Coronet will be painted in about a month and my painter has done a few spray-outs for me but none look close to correct. He will be using PPG DBU base clear and he said there are 9 variables of the original color for 1969-70. The first and supposed correct he refers to as PRIME. This prime shade has too much silver met. in it and looks a little washed out. Then he sprayed the next variable with darker met. and than changed the color so much it is on it's way to B-7. Than I asked to find the one that is bluer and although that is a great color it looks kinda like a newer Dakota's color??? My car was a repaint when I bought it and that shade the computer found to be a GM color  Are there any painters or paint techs out there that can point me to the as close as possible fomula? I fully understand that a base/clear won't be a perfect match but these so far aren't close enough for me!!!

Any input paint & body guys???
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

RJS

Yeah I'd like to see some input on this too!!

69 OUR/TEA

Just finishing up my final sanding,as I am painting this car (B5)this weekend.I have already painted the trunk.jambs on doors,whole inside,lower frame rails.To answer your question,first,why are you chosing DBU as apposed to DBC?Not that there is anything wrong with DBU,(thats what is on my coronet)but I like DBC better ,especially for metallic colors.About a year ago I made a gallon of B5,PPG paint # 2019,and then made another gallon and to my suprise the formula was different,The first gallons metal flake was composed of fine aluminun tints,the second mix,a year later was derived from using pearls.Same #,2019.Oh boy,yes,open up both gallons,and slightly a differnet color,so I mixed both gallons together,put them back into new containers,and did a test spray out.I still had original paint under my package tray,that was not disturbed from uv rays,and fortunately was very close,good enough to use,and beleive me I am picky when it comes to stuff like this.I want things to be as correct as possible.The key thing to doing a color like this is that they are very transparent so you should use a sealer to get you as close to the color to be as possible.Here is what I am using:    PPG global sealer 8090(blue) and 8085(gray) mixed together.It looks vey close to B5 like this.Then PPG DBC 2019 (B5) with DX57,basecoat hardener,not necessary,but just for insurance as it locks down the basecoat.Then PPG global D894 clear.I will post some pics after its done.Here are some pics,the pic of the trunk color looks a little different in pctures as in person but should give you a good idea.

69 OUR/TEA

Another pic under lights.

Danny Gutierrez

Ah yes, that darn B-5 blue.  My car was originally B-5 and it is HARD to duplicate!!!!  Part of the problem, in my opinion, is that it is almost perfect.  Not too dark, not too light.  It changes in any light and keeps you guessing.  Here's some pics to help you decide.. :icon_smile_big:
1969 Dodge Charger, second owner.  The first owner was my Dad.