News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

4speed welding bracket location??

Started by javakmcharger68, May 12, 2006, 05:42:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

javakmcharger68

I have a aluminum bellhousing at this time in which I will be replacing with either a cast bellhousing or a lakewood for big block 383. The car was an original auto car so I will have to weld on the bracket for the z-bar to the frame of the car. Question I am wondering is if I do get a lakewood or cast iron bellhousing, is the location for the bracket located in a different area? Anyone that has done this bracket welding have there 2cents worth of help that would help? Can you weld this with the engine/ trans in the car, or does the engine/trans have to be pulled out? There is no drive train in the car at the moment. With this project any help would be helpful. Thanks

Chryco Psycho

the Z bar should be in the same pl;ace with any belhousing  it should center in the oval hole in the inner fenderwell
I did one last week & I was able to weld the braket in with the engine in the car

RallyeMike

I just installed a 4speed and zbar bracket in an ex- auto car tonight. It lined up correctly with the Lakewood scattershield at the stock location. With the lakewood scattershield I had to shorten the z-bar by and inch because the stud hung out farther than the stock one. I also had to grind the scattershield about 1/4" on the flange on the passenger side to clear the header, and the flange at the firewall to tunnel seam.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

javakmcharger68

The lakewood bellhousing sounds like a pain in the ass. Thank you RallyeMike & Chryco Psycho for your response. I really don't like the idea chopping up my z-bar after going through all the trouble finding one, but that is the kind of stuff I will have to know to get this project done. I see the oval hole in the firewall Chryco Psycho, I would not have guessed the location of the bracket being that far up. I will try to find a picture searching the web. The bracket will be welded to the firewall then, instead of the frame?? I am looking at my stud bracket & trying to get my head around this subject. Thanks again

Howie

The bracket does not weld to the firewall. I am about to change one in a charger and it goes on the frame. Year One sells this bracket.

RallyeMike

The oval hole in the firewall is for the boot for the clutch rod going from the pedal to the z-bar. The oval hole in the inner fender is where you will access the nut for the ball-stud that attaches to the z-bar bracket.

Yes, scattershields are pain in the ass. They take up a lot of room and restrict access to the flywheel. I would not use one unless you plan on really throwing a lot of HP through the thing.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

694spdRT

Here is the hole in the fenderwell the others are talking about.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi