News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Christine's Daytona y otro cosas. Everyone is Welcome Here in This "Sandbox"

Started by 426HemiChick, June 02, 2019, 12:16:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

426HemiChick

Quote from: djcarguy on June 21, 2019, 02:19:00 AM
  In every case i know of the the mag bolts will work fine to hold a steel rim ,just for rolling an loading a car. You sure have some neat old mopars.i was 10 when the winged monsters came out and saw a few new ones.

i would buy a running big block an get the s-bee running an safe for some drive time.but thats just my thing. All the best,DJ way out west  :cheers: :popcrn: :drool5: :2thumbs:

Hi djcarguy,                                     21 June 2019

Here we are, at the longest day of the year.

Thanks for your post. The problem with the mag bolts that came with the wheels is they do not have the normal bevel (Acorn type/shape) that allows a positive centering of the wheel. The mags are at least 49 years old. They are of a design that in theory should work; in the real world the wheels are difficult to center and difficult to mount. The design relies on perfect machining of the bolt and the mounting hole. I'll probably turn the wheels into scrap aluminum.

I found some lug nuts at the local Napa store; they said they'd have them this morning. We shall see. My next move will be to buy a set of "Roller Skates" for the RR and SB. This will allow me to move them without having to resort to a floor jack once the car's wheels are resting in the skates. If a tire goes flat, no big deal.

Thanks for the thoughts and post. Will keep you posted.

Best Always,

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

BeatersRus

regardless of their condition,you might want to sell the mags instead of scrapping them.
vintage mags have their own following,and can be Very hard to locate.

just a thought and i truly hope you are taking the Advice these guys are giving you.
the cars are only original Once.
restoring them makes them just like every other restored daytona out there,capiche?

when i go to shows,esp carlisle,the Survivors barn is my Favorite part of the show.
plus,you Will get more money Now,selling them as is,then if you spent a ton restoring them and then sold them.
might want to get one of your friends whos a mechanic to come over and go thru all the engines and change the fluids,comp test etc etc.
very wise not to fire them up as is yet.

moparstuart

I'd be interested  in buying the vintage mags if you do end up selling them 
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

426HemiChick

Quote from: moparstuart on June 21, 2019, 10:41:59 AM

Hi moparstuart,                          21 June 2019

Glad to; maybe we could work a trade. We also have a set of mags from 1974 that were on the 75 W200 440 Power-Wagon. It had 10.00 X 16.5 tires on them. I think they are American Mags.

The wheels from the Daytona say Sprint on the center cap. We need steel wheels; we have 4 in the attic, nice and dirty. I'll get up there and measure them to see if they will work for any of the cars. If they will, we'll take the front wheels off the Daytona and have the tires swapped over to the steel wheels. That'll free up the two mags that go with the rear mags we took off the CD. All the mags that have been on the Daytona were originally on the Cuda.

It'll be a few days. I need lug nuts for the steel wheels. I'll see what we get when I pick up yesterdays order from the NAPA store in Grapevine TX. Going there shortly while on the daily errand run. Will get back to you once we know where we stand wheel and nut wise.

Best Always,

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

426HemiChick

Quote from: birdsandbees on June 20, 2019, 08:23:18 AM
NOS left and right lug nuts are available from AMS Obsolete in GA for $120 a set. www.amsnos.com   parts@amsnos.com

Hi birdsandbees,                       21 June 2019

Thanks for the link; went out and looked around a bit. If what we saw is 1/100 of what they have, it looks to be a fantastic resource for finding the things we will need to put the cars back to original. Didn't have time to give them a thorough look but we will get back once we ID most of the necessary items.

Thanks Again.

Best Always,

426 Hemi Chicks

birdsandbees

Mike is great to deal with. Prices aren't always cheap... but the parts have always been as promised!
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,                      22 June 2019

About the time Uncle Sam came knocking at my door in 1962, with a warning he was coming for me, Chrysler started producing the altered wheelbase Plymouths and Dodges, first with 413 wedge engines and then 426 wedge motors with the Cross Ram. Are there any threads on this site for those cars?

Thanks in advance.

Best Always,

426 Hemi Chicks

birdsandbees

Those would be over on for B bodies only...  www.forbbodiesonly.com  Suggest you check your panties at the door...  :icon_smile_big:
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

cdr

Quote from: birdsandbees on June 22, 2019, 06:19:40 PM
Those would be over on for B bodies only...  www.forbbodiesonly.com  Suggest you check your panties at the door...  :icon_smile_big:

:icon_smile_big:  yes,
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

426HemiChick

Quote from: birdsandbees on June 22, 2019, 06:19:40 PM

Thanks Birdsandbees,                          22 June 2019

The guy that worked on our Hemi had one of those cars. He worked for Chrysler at the Twinsburg, Ohio Stamping plant back in the 60's until he retired, my guess is around 2003. His name was John Barker; he and Joe Alread both had one of the early 413 and 426 wedges; they each campaigned in NHRA drags. They did quite well for doing it mostly on their own dimes.

Thanks for the info and warning; we'll make sure we keep our panties under lock and key; darn things are expensive unless you buy the Wally World brand.

Best Always,

426 Hemi Chicks

ACUDANUT

Quote from: 426HemiChick on June 22, 2019, 05:59:46 PM
Hi Folks,                      22 June 2019

About the time Uncle Sam came knocking at my door in 1962, with a warning he was coming for me, Chrysler started producing the altered wheelbase Plymouths and Dodges, first with 413 wedge engines and then 426 wedge motors with the Cross Ram. Are there any threads on this site for those cars?

Thanks in advance.

Best Always,

426 Hemi Chicks

Uncle Sam did no such thing in 1962.  You call yourself a chick with a dick. lol :smilielol:

426HemiChick

Quote from: moparstuart on June 21, 2019, 10:41:59 AM

Hi Moparstuart,                          22 June 2019

Darn, the days are already getting shorter.

Got the L & R lug nuts. Left cost almost double the Right. We'll photo the mags from the CD and the truck in case you are interested in them.

Best Always,

426 Hemi Chicks

held1823

Quote from: ACUDANUT on June 22, 2019, 08:02:44 PM

About the time Uncle Sam came knocking at my door in 1962, with a warning he was coming for me

Uncle Sam did no such thing in 1962.

over 82,000 people would disagree with you and confirm uncle sam did indeed come calling in 1962
the rest of your comment isn't worth quoting

https://www.sss.gov/About/History-And-Records/Induction-Statistics
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

426HemiChick

Quote from: held1823 on June 22, 2019, 10:56:24 PM

About the time Uncle Sam came knocking at my door in 1962, with a warning he was coming for me

over 82,000 people would disagree with you and confirm uncle sam did indeed come calling in 1962

Hi Ernie,                           22 June 2019

Thanks Ernie, We owe you. Appreciate the defense.

Best Always,

426 Hemi Chicks

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,                            22 June 2019

Went up to the attic to inspect the four steel rims I knew were up there. Two were 15 X 6 and two were 15 X 5. As I was getting the two 15 X 6 rims ready to take below, I noticed a rim covered by a large piece of plywood. Turned out to be 16 X 6.5. Haven't a clue where this rim came from.

Took the two 15 X 6 rims outside so I could wash off 40 years of crud. Long story short, after cleaning them I could see a stick-on label on both rims. It said "Mercedes;" didn't take long to put one + one together to get three. They wouldn't fit, the 15 X 5 are too narrow so I'm going to put the new tires on the CD's rear axel and the mags and new tires will remain on the front for the time being.

Those Mercedes rims had to have been from my Mother's car back in the mid 70's. We all lived in Ohio which isn't immune to salt on the roads. As rusty as those rims are, they had to be the ones that were used for her snow tires. Case solved; now, what should I do with those rims? Sure not going to buy a Mercedes to fit them.

Best Always,

426 Hemi Chicks

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,                          23 June 2019

It's been so long since I changed oil in a Hemi we decided we had better look around and find the actual factory recommended oil capacity. We have factory service manuals for 1968, 1969.

For the 68 & 69 Hemi's the oil capacity is 6 quarts plus 1 when the filter is changed.

The manuals used:

1968 Plymouth Manual PN 81-570-8450
1969 Dodge Manual     PN 81-270-9250

Plymouth Manual
Extra copies of this manual are available at $5.00 each, plus local taxes. Order from:

Chrysler-Plymouth Division, Service Department, P.O. Box 1658,  Detroit, Michigan 48231

Dodge Manual
Extra copies of this manual are available at $6.00 each, plus local taxes. Order from:

Dodge Division, P.O. Box 1259, Detroit, Michigan 48227

It would be nice if we could still get the manuals from MOPAR. There was a bit of inflation between the 68 and 69 or maybe because Dodge was considered and upscale car the price was higher.

Best Always,

426 Hemi Chicks

ACUDANUT

Quote from: held1823 on June 22, 2019, 10:56:24 PM

Your "info" or "fake info", is BS.  The US did not draft in in 1962.
Sorry chicks with dicks.

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,                               24 June 2019

This is an update to our previous post regarding Factory Repair manuals. We have purchased quite a few manuals from the company listed below and have had excellent results. They have used manuals in good condition and some new authorized reprints. We checked 69 Dodge manuals; they have an original (currently out of stock) and a reprint which has the Daytona in it. We haven't seen it but are considering buying it.

They have manuals for the Plymouth, original (used) and reprints. Didn't see any reference to the Super Bird in the reprint.

Here's the link to their Site:

https://www.factoryrepairmanuals.com/

It's worth a look

Best Always,

426 Hemi Chicks

A383Wing

Unless you have more money and time than you know what to do with, why not just skip the hassle and get the free manual digital downloads and call it done?

Service manuals, owners manuals, and factory parts manuals are available for free, all you have to do is look

Bryan

426HemiChick

Quote from: A383Wing on June 24, 2019, 06:00:25 PM
Unless you have more money and time than you know what to do with, why not just skip the hassle and get the free manual digital downloads and call it done?

Service manuals, owners manuals, and factory parts manuals are available for free, all you have to do is look

Bryan

Hi Bryan,                              25 June 2019

Thanks for the suggestion; we'll give it a try. You're probably a whole lot younger than I, Christine, am; I'm kind of addicted to having paper books. I can make notes in them, easily bookmark pages and paragraphs, etc.

I spent 40 years of my life working with and on computer systems. I started back when Vacuum tubes were common. As devices have become smaller and more powerful they have taken the place of conversation.

When you go out to dinner and see a table full of people, each using their IPad/computer to do something other than have a conversation, you know technology has gone too far for some people. Just my take from a lengthy perspective.

Best Always,

426 Hemi Chicks

HANDM

Quote from: 426HemiChick on June 25, 2019, 11:47:18 AM
Quote from: A383Wing on June 24, 2019, 06:00:25 PM

Bryan

Thanks for the suggestion; we'll give it a try. You're probably a whole lot younger than I, Christine, am; I'm kind of addicted to having paper books. I can make notes in them, easily bookmark pages and paragraphs, etc.

I spent 40 years of my life working with and on computer systems. I started back when Vacuum tubes were common. As devices have become smaller and more powerful they have taken the place of conversation.

When you go out to dinner and see a table full of people, each using their IPad/computer to do something other than have a conversation, you know technology has gone too far for some people. Just my take from a lengthy perspective.

Best Always,

426 Hemi Chicks

I hear ya on the actual paper manuals, its's much easier to take the manual out to the cars rather than my phone as the screen doesn' turn off and you dont have to zoom in. Although either way I need to have my readers with me  ::)

Just the other day I had the service manual for my 70 Challenger outside with me as well as the ancient chilton one to track down a starting problem. Turns out the neutral safety switch had a couple busted wires and was rock hard. Took a walk aroung the house and looked in my "mopar shed" and staring me in the face was a 727 that I took out of a wrecked 74 that had its perfect plug. A few snips and connections later the car is starting again  :2thumbs:
Sometimes it pays off to hoard stuff for 20 plus years!

Aero426

Ad from the Akron Beacon Journal.    I've heard that ARCO Supreme oil was only just Excellent.

A383Wing

Quote from: 426HemiChick on June 25, 2019, 11:47:18 AM

Thanks for the suggestion; we'll give it a try. You're probably a whole lot younger than I, Christine, am;

Maybe by a couple years, but not by much......don't make assumptions until you have all your facts straight

Bryan

426HemiChick

Quote from: Aero426 on June 25, 2019, 04:53:04 PM
Ad from the Akron Beacon Journal.    I've heard that ARCO Supreme oil was only just Excellent.

Hi Aero426,                            25 June 2019

That ad must have been around February or March 1975. I had over 1000 gallons of oil stored in my garage. I still have a few cardboard cans remaining. Sure not going to put it in the Mopars. The ad for the Cuda should show up in the same paper somewhere between September and November 1975.

Thanks very much for finding the relics of my previous life.

Best Always,

426 Hemi Chicks

426HemiChick

Quote from: ACUDANUT on June 24, 2019, 01:23:48 PM

Your "info" or "fake info", is BS.  The US did not draft in in 1962.

Hi ACUDANUT,                  26 June 2019

Here's a link to the Selective Service System History and Records Induction Statistics.

It will give you all induction figures for the years 1917 through 1973; 1973 being the last year of the draft.

The link is to a US Government Web Site so it should be accurate.

In case you need a bit more information here's the phone number for SSS:

The last man inducted entered the Army on June 30, 1973.
For more information about induction statistics, call Selective Service at (703)605-4100.

Thank you for your thoughtful post. We hope you have a nice day everyday.

Best Always,

426 Hemi Chicks