News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Christine's Daytona y otro cosas. Everyone is Welcome Here in This "Sandbox"

Started by 426HemiChick, June 02, 2019, 12:16:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

426HemiChick

Quote from: HANDM on June 25, 2019, 12:13:05 PM

I hear ya on the actual paper manuals, its's much easier to take the manual out to the cars rather than my phone as the screen doesn' turn off and you dont have to zoom in. Although either way I need to have my readers with me  ::)

Just the other day I had the service manual for my 70 Challenger outside with me as well as the ancient chilton one to track down a starting problem. Turns out the neutral safety switch had a couple busted wires and was rock hard. Took a walk aroung the house and looked in my "mopar shed" and staring me in the face was a 727 that I took out of a wrecked 74 that had its perfect plug. A few snips and connections later the car is starting again  :2thumbs:
Sometimes it pays off to hoard stuff for 20 plus years!

Hi HANDM,                              26 June 2019

Hoarding is a double edged sword; takes up room, but, it can and does come in handy. We'll stick with hoarding.

Best Always,

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

maxwellwedge

Very interesting this thread. I can only wish that I kept all the cars I bought over the years. There were some rare ones. Fortunately I kept a bunch too. Kudos for being able to hang on to them over all these years.
And thanks for sharing them with us.....and hanging in here. There are a lot of good people on this site. As well as a lot of knowledge in different aspects of the hobby. Many are quick to help. My sickness? Survivors, correct details....it's a curse  ;)

Aero426

Looks like we found the ad for the 'ol Hemi Cuder.

This is April 27, 1975.

426HemiChick

Quote from: Aero426 on June 26, 2019, 11:56:58 AM
Looks like we found the ad for the 'ol Hemi Cuder.

This is April 27, 1975.

Hi Aero426,                        26 June 2019

Muchas gracias mis amigo.

It was sold to the first person to come and see it. Look at that price and think what it would bring today. The best I know is it ended up totaled about a year, maybe two, after I sold it. A friend told me he saw my old Cuda in a junk yard totaled. His description of the car was: "It's rolled up in a ball."

Never bothered to check on it and often wondered who was driving and what happened to them. Sometimes questions are best left unanswered.

When the buyer sped away from the house my first thought was: "This isn't going to end well."

Sorry I was so far off on the time line; at least I got the year right. Thanks again.

Best Always,

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

426HemiChick

Quote from: maxwellwedge on June 26, 2019, 11:28:42 AM
Very interesting this thread. I can only wish that I kept all the cars I bought over the years. There were some rare ones. Fortunately I kept a bunch too. Kudos for being able to hang on to them over all these years.
And thanks for sharing them with us.....and hanging in here. There are a lot of good people on this site. As well as a lot of knowledge in different aspects of the hobby. Many are quick to help. My sickness? Survivors, correct details....it's a curse  ;)

Hi Maxwellwedge,                            26 June 2019

Thanks for the nice comments. The reason we have them today is years ago, due to my Dumb Luck, I kept them. So we now have them, stuffed into a two car garage. I sure can't claim any brilliance on my part. On the good side, my S.O. is extremely brilliant and a critical thinker. She does a great job of keeping my bum out of trouble, EXCEPT, when I don't follow her advice and go off on a tangent of my own, which can be seen in a couple places on this thread. I'm still learning, which is a good thing.

I don't want to take credit for something good that happened because I was lucky, which I was. I'm luckier now that She is in my life and has become my Guardian Angel.

I know there are a lot of good folks here on this site and we do appreciate the things they have done to help us, even after some of my stupid antics. I'll say this again, my S.O. warned me about my dumb remarks/posts. The only reason they got posted is because I did it against Her advice. Like I said, I'm learning. I think she kicked my bum hard enough to get my attention so I doubt that you will see any more stupid stuff from this old gal.

Take care and thanks a lot.

Best Always,

426 Hemi Chicks

maxwellwedge

Quote from: 426HemiChick on June 26, 2019, 10:23:27 PM
Quote from: maxwellwedge on June 26, 2019, 11:28:42 AM

Hi Maxwellwedge,                            26 June 2019

Thanks for the nice comments. The reason we have them today is years ago, due to my Dumb Luck, I kept them. So we now have them, stuffed into a two car garage. I sure can't claim any brilliance on my part. On the good side, my S.O. is extremely brilliant and a critical thinker. She does a great job of keeping my bum out of trouble, EXCEPT, when I don't follow her advice and go off on a tangent of my own, which can be seen in a couple places on this thread. I'm still learning, which is a good thing.

I don't want to take credit for something good that happened because I was lucky, which I was. I'm luckier now that She is in my life and has become my Guardian Angel.

I know there are a lot of good folks here on this site and we do appreciate the things they have done to help us, even after some of my stupid antics. I'll say this again, my S.O. warned me about my dumb remarks/posts. The only reason they got posted is because I did it against Her advice. Like I said, I'm learning. I think she kicked my bum hard enough to get my attention so I doubt that you will see any more stupid stuff from this old gal.

Take care and thanks a lot.

Best Always,

426 Hemi Chicks

You're Welcome.
Dumb luck? Some say you have to be good to be lucky :^). Whatever you want to call it - it worked.
And I've been kicked in the bum many times....mostly self inflicted due to dumb car decisions...but (butt?), that's all part of the hobby.
:cheers:

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,                      27 June 2019

We've gone through our factory service manuals and found the quantity of oil the 68 and 69 Mopar engines require and the viscosity of the oil recommended for each engine.

The Hemi is a beast unto itself; SAE 20W-40 is recommended where temperatures are consistently above +32°F. That kind of fits the weather here in the Fort Worth area.

We have a couple questions we are sure most of you can answer:

Where can high quality SAE 20W-40 High Performance motor oil be found? The closest we have found is SAE 10W-40 and SAE 20W-50. The manual also recommends Single Grades SAE 30 or SAE 40 for temperatures consistently above +32°F.

If SAE 20W-40 cannot be found is SAE 20W-50 a good substitute?

We only looked in Wally World and the Internet.

You guessed it, we are getting ready to change her oil for the first time in 40+ Years; don't remember when it was last changed, could be as long ago as 45 years. We know she will turn over as we have turned her by hand using a short ratchet; she turned quite easily with no sticking. She's a good lady and deserves much better than she has received over the past 45 years. Hopefully, we can make it up to her.

Thanks in advance.

Best Always,

426 Hemi Chicks

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,                         27 June 2019

We picked up two more 15 X 6 Mopar wheels today. They need to be blasted to get the paint and minor rust off, shocks need to be replaced, the Hooker Headers need to go and the cast iron Hemi headers from the Cuda need blasted and a bit of repair work before they can be installed on the CD.

It is obvious the person that removed them was either an amateur or lazy. The Cuda was fairly new when the cast iron headers were taken off. Rather than unbolt things, a torch was used. Several things were ruined in the process.

Tomorrow will either be a good day with the stock Hemi headers ready for blasting or they will require more work than we want to do at the moment.

Best Always,

426 Hemi Chicks

Moparpoolman

Quote from: 426HemiChick on June 27, 2019, 09:41:16 PM
Hi Folks,                      27 June 2019

We've gone through our factory service manuals and found the quantity of oil the 68 and 69 Mopar engines require and the viscosity of the oil recommended for each engine.

The Hemi is a beast unto itself; SAE 20W-40 is recommended where temperatures are consistently above +32°F. That kind of fits the weather here in the Fort Worth area.

Where can high quality SAE 20W-40 High Performance motor oil be found? The closest we have found is SAE 10W-40 and SAE 20W-50. The manual also recommends Single Grades SAE 30 or SAE 40 for temperatures consistently above +32°F.

You guessed it, we are getting ready to change her oil for the first time in 40+ Years; don't remember when it was last changed, could be as long ago as 45 years. We know she will turn over as we have turned her by hand using a short ratchet; she turned quite easily with no sticking. She's a good lady and deserves much better than she has received over the past 45 years. Hopefully, we can make it up to her.

Thanks in advance.

Best Always,

426 Hemi Chicks
I use Brad Penn Grade 20W50 High Zinc Performance Green Racing Eng Oil   or   LUCAS has a couple of products I would use see the list
https://lucasoil.com/pdf/Zinc_Values_MotorcycleOil.pdf

62 Max

Quote from: Moparpoolman on June 28, 2019, 05:45:40 AM
Quote from: 426HemiChick on June 27, 2019, 09:41:16 PM
Hi Folks,                      27 June 2019

Thanks in advance.

Best Always,

426 Hemi Chicks
I use Brad Penn Grade 20W50 High Zinc Performance Green Racing Eng Oil   or   LUCAS has a couple of products I would use see the list
https://lucasoil.com/pdf/Zinc_Values_MotorcycleOil.pdf

You'll never go wrong with Brad Penn,been using it since the late 60's when it was the original Kendal GT 1. :Twocents:

ACUDANUT

I think 20W-50 is fine in the summer, but way too thick in temps below 60 degrees F. Just my worthless opinion.  :Twocents:

426HemiChick

Hi ACUDANUT, Moparstuart, 62 Max, Moparpoolman, and Everyone here on this site,       28 June 2019

You all have great advice. Here is how we believe we are going to proceed: We have no intention of firing her up any time soon. What we want to do is get that old oil out of her engine. We found a bunch of New Old Stock (NOS) "Pennzoil GT Performance Motor Oil SAE 40 API Service: SF-SE-CC" no date, 40 years of dust on the metal top of the round cardboard cans. There is a bar code on the top 0 71611 32245. We believe this is what is in the engine from 1975. There's also an embossed code on the top of the can: SF038.

We are going to buy something good in 5W - 30. First we will jack the front up a bit, put jack stand under her then pull the drain plug and remove the old filter. We'll probably let her drain for an hour or so. Next, clean things up, replace the drain plug and install a new PH8A Fram filter. Add seven quarts of the 5W-30 oil and then run the oil pump with a drill motor (Distributer and drive gear removed) for a reasonable period of time which should allow all lubricated surfaces that receive pressurized oil to be flushed of the old oil.

Once we are fairly certain everything possible has been flushed into the pan and hopefully filtered out by the new filter, we'll drain her again and remove the first new filter. After we let her drain for another hour or so we'll repeat the same process except this time we'll put Fram's best version of the PH8A on and fill her with the Good Racing Oil and then run the pump long enough to where we are quite certain the good oil is in every nook and cranny of her Hemi. Once that's done we'll put the drive gear back in and return the distributer to it's treasured perch in the front of the engine.

The last thing we will do is crank her over by hand numerous times. We'd rather not use the starter, which would create the risk of ruining her original 50 year old one. Aside from her Carburetors, tires, wheels, shocks, distributer, power steering high pressure hose, alternator mounting bracket, plugs and wires, she is original, as best we can tell.

Thank you all for your advice and help. We'll use whichever one you recommended that we can obtain at the time we need it, which should be quite soon.

You all really are a great bunch; we're proud and happy to be here with you all. Thanks again!

Best Always,

426 Hemi Chicks

A383Wing

you will not get oil to all of the lubrication points above the camshaft unless you turn the engine over by hand and get the oil holes in the cam bearings lined up with the holes in the camshaft to direct oil to the rocker arms.......look in your service manual for the engine and you will see the oil flow diagrams pointing this out......just because you spin the pump with a drill motor, you still need to align the oil passages to the upper part of the engine at the right time for oil to flow to the top

Bryan

NHCharger

You might want to look up some comparisons on oil filters. I stopped using Fram years ago. Wix would be a much better choice.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

62 Max

Quote from: NHCharger on June 28, 2019, 06:12:34 PM
You might want to look up some comparisons on oil filters. I stopped using Fram years ago.Wix would be a much better choice.

This !! :Twocents:

426HemiChick

Hi 62 Max, NHCharger, A383Wing,                        28 June 2019

Thanks folks, You've jogged our thinking caps. Totally forgot about the cam controlling the oiling of the rockers. Thanks Bryan for the memory jog.

Back when we raced (if you want to call it that) we used Hastings oil filters. Haven't seen them in years. We'll give the Wix a try. Thanks 62 Max and NHCharger for the filter tip.

Tomorrow will most likely be oil change day, or maybe oil drain day as the first stage. We'll probably have to order the Oils recommended in a previous post.

Thanks everyone, you have been a big help.

Best Always,

426 Hemi Chicks

Birdflu

Quote from: NHCharger on June 28, 2019, 06:12:34 PM
You might want to look up some comparisons on oil filters. I stopped using Fram years ago. Wix would be a much better choice.

I couldn't agree more! Unless you're using FRAMS HP version filters, which are made stateside by Honeywell, throw 'em in the garbage can!  :yesnod:

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,                       30 June 2019

Thanks for all the advice. We have a couple questions:

Between the Wix 51515 and the Hastings LF115, which is best?

We kind of like the Green Oil; where is the best place to buy it?

Drained the CD's crankcase today. Watched closely as the oil came out; captured a sample for analysis. Did not see any signs of moisture. The oil didn't smell fresh that's for sure. We don't think there are many miles on the old oil. It's fairly clear though dark brown in color; kind of what I suspect the oil in the cans I have from back then will look like when we open one and pour it into a clear glass container. We were told by an oil engineer that the antioxidant in oil doesn't last forever. When it deteriorates, the oil will turn brown.

We think oil can collectors might be interested in some of them. We sure aren't going to take any chances by putting that old stuff in our trusty Mopar engines. If we did it would be a Mortal Sin.

Thanks again for all your help, we really do appreciate it.

Best Always,

426 Hemi Chicks

NHCharger

Quote from: 426HemiChick on July 01, 2019, 01:12:54 AM
Hi Folks,                       30 June 2019

Thanks for all the advice. We have a couple questions:

Between the Wix 51515 and the Hastings LF115, which is best?

At this point it's personal  preference. They are both excellent filters.
My local O'Rielly's and NAPA both carry a large supply of Wix so I'm a Wix guy.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

62 Max

Quote from: chargervert on July 01, 2019, 08:39:35 PM
NAPA filters are made by Wix.

I don'k know who makes the NAPA Silver 31515 filter but it supposedly doesn't compare in quality with the Wix/NAPA 51515.'

ACUDANUT

Quote from: 62 Max on July 01, 2019, 10:38:56 PM

I don'k know who makes the NAPA Silver 31515 filter but it supposedly doesn't compare in quality with the Wix/NAPA 51515.'

Okay, you lost me.

chargervert

Quote from: 62 Max on July 01, 2019, 10:38:56 PM

[/quote

Maybe it is just NAPAs gold line that is made by Wix.  The gold line are the only ones that I have used.