News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

HEMI68CHARGER Press Release #614 426 HEMI Charger 500 Restoration

Started by hemi68charger, June 03, 2019, 11:04:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

odcics2

Did you find any odd things while you were disassembling the car that you documented?

On my Press car, the entire trunk floor was not painted in color, just primered. 
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

hemi68charger

Quote from: odcics2 on February 08, 2020, 07:47:20 AM

Did you find any odd things while you were disassembling the car that you documented?

On my Press car, the entire trunk floor was not painted in color, just primered. 

The obvious thing, and I did fix it since I'll be driving the car and don't want water leaks, is a problem with the plug area that makes up the water drain channel. When creative made these plugs, I guess they had not developed a quality control yet. The lip for the weatherstrip seal was practically none-existent. I have documented it. But, I want the weatherstripping to have a place to be clued to. Also, every rear window molding reveal clip had two holes. It was like the original holes that were punched into the sheetmetal was off and the tech's at Creative had to drill/punch new holes to make the reveal clips be in the proper position. Funny thing is, they NEVER FILLED THE HOLES !!!  The car had to leak like a sieve. I confirmed on Richard's ###610 car, built the same time as mine, had the same incorrect weatherstrip lip on the plug. Any paint irregularities were destroyed since my car led a rough life and was painted in a vain attempt to make a General Lee back in '80'81..
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

gtx6970

Quote from: hemi68charger on February 07, 2020, 05:55:42 PM
Quote from: JB400 on February 07, 2020, 05:29:19 PM
Are end caps supposed to be on or off during painting to be correct?

It is my understanding from the factory they were off.. I have seen originals and the gasket material between the body and quarter extensions didn't have paint on them.. In this case, painting the extensions and sidemarker bezels off the car with the bezels not getting full coverage on the back like they were originally.

If that were the case. Why has every nut retaining the end cap ( on every b body I've been part of . ) the nuts have been body color

if assembled post paint the nuts would be natural plating

Also,
You asked about base clear versus singe stage.
What is the areas already painted with ,,looks like BC to me ?

hemi68charger

Quote from: gtx6970 on February 09, 2020, 03:59:07 PM
Quote from: hemi68charger on February 07, 2020, 05:55:42 PM
Quote from: JB400 on February 07, 2020, 05:29:19 PM
Are end caps supposed to be on or off during painting to be correct?

It is my understanding from the factory they were off.. I have seen originals and the gasket material between the body and quarter extensions didn't have paint on them.. In this case, painting the extensions and sidemarker bezels off the car with the bezels not getting full coverage on the back like they were originally.

If that were the case. Why has every nut retaining the end cap ( on every b body I've been part of . ) the nuts have been body color

if assembled post paint the nuts would be natural plating

Also,
You asked about base clear versus singe stage.
What is the areas already painted with ,,looks like BC to me ?

That's probably the case then.. This shop is going to paint them off the car along with the sidemarker bezels.
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

odcics2

Pilot cars had different techniques than production cars....   
Be careful doing anything like production!   :yesnod:

:cheers:

hemi68charger

Well, the whole car is red now, albeit the lighting makes it look like Candy-Apple red as of yesterday
Troy

70Sbird

Scott Faulkner

Birdflu

Dave Kanofsky

"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

odcics2

The color does look different than the same pics posted on the forbbodiesonly site.  Hmmm!!!

Interesting!

hemi68charger

Quote from: odcics2 on February 13, 2020, 05:38:51 PM

The color does look different than the same pics posted on the forbbodiesonly site.  Hmmm!!!

Interesting!

Julius saw the car yesterday and said it looks fine.. I am going by tomorrow and check her out and take the organosol paint for the taillamp panel.
Troy

odcics2

Quote from: hemi68charger on February 13, 2020, 08:52:35 PM

Interesting!

Julius saw the car yesterday and said it looks fine.. I am going by tomorrow and check her out and take the organosol paint for the taillamp panel.

Sure it does, just that on the same laptop, the same pics you posted look different on each site.  Must be how the sites project the colors...

Oh, I reconfirmed that my Charger 500 pilot car that became Nascar racecar DC-93 (#88) did not have any color inside the trunk, just primer, then black over that.   Didn't have seam sealer either, like you have in your trunk. No traces at all.

Just saying cars are like fingerprints, especially the early hand built Pilot cars. 

1970Moparmann

My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

hemi68charger

Quote from: odcics2 on February 14, 2020, 02:12:02 PM
Quote from: hemi68charger on February 13, 2020, 08:52:35 PM

Interesting!

Sure it does, just that on the same laptop, the same pics you posted look different on each site.  Must be how the sites project the colors...

Oh, I reconfirmed that my Charger 500 pilot car that became Nascar racecar DC-93 (#88) did not have any color inside the trunk, just primer, then black over that.   Didn't have seam sealer either, like you have in your trunk. No traces at all.

Just saying cars are like fingerprints, especially the early hand built Pilot cars. 

Yes, I agree with you.. Mine did have seam sealer and so did Richard's survivor ###610 car....
Troy

hemi68charger

Some more from today.. I went over to check it out in person and take the black taillamp panel organosol paint... These pictures look more like R4 Charger Red than the other ones.. Monday they will begin cut-n-buff..
Troy

hemi68charger

Troy

hemi-hampton

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

J.Bond

Looks Great :2thumbs:

So, how many gallons of color base, did you rip thru?

hemi68charger

Troy