News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

HEMI68CHARGER Press Release #614 426 HEMI Charger 500 Restoration

Started by hemi68charger, June 03, 2019, 11:04:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Matched up the painted sidemarker bezels with the collection of NOS side marker parts I have accumulated for the 500. Have the other NOS red reflector somewhere in my NOS parts stash. 
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

hemi68charger

Operation Hemi C500 almost done:
Was sent pictures yesterday of the 500.. Looks pretty good from here.  I will swing by tomorrow to drop off the "500" stripe. Today the organosol black-out treatment for the taillamp panel should be done.
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

Mytur Binsdirti

WINGMAN

:cheers:  Looks vary good Troy.  What did they use for the sound deadening, I am about to start on my Daytona in a few weeks. What will you use on the wheel wells also.  :2thumbs: Jay (Wingman)
69 Daytona XX29L9B409032 , 02 Ram Cummins,

hemi68charger

Quote from: WINGMAN on February 20, 2020, 02:02:40 PM
:cheers:  Looks vary good Troy.  What did they use for the sound deadening, I am about to start on my Daytona in a few weeks. What will you use on the wheel wells also.  :2thumbs: Jay (Wingman)

I did not go with the sound deadening on the undercarriage. I just went ahead and had the undercarriage painted with Dave P. primer-dip paint and then applied the overspray technique. My friend Julius is going to help me with the wheel wells... We'll take the car to my house and do it there.. He'll get the product.. I'll let you know what he gets unless you need the info sooner than later.
Troy

odcics2

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Aero426

chargervert

Troy, make sure that everything is bolted up properly before you transport the car. Many years ago I had a friend paint my 70 Challenger R / T, and he forgot to put the fender bolts in the lower right fender, and by the time I got the car home,three miles from his shop,the fender and door were all chipped up.

hemi68charger

Quote from: chargervert on February 23, 2020, 12:03:08 PM
Troy, make sure that everything is bolted up properly before you transport the car. Many years ago I had a friend paint my 70 Challenger R / T, and he forgot to put the fender bolts in the lower right fender, and by the time I got the car home,three miles from his shop,the fender and door were all chipped up.

Thanks Pete... We will for sure....  :2thumbs:
Troy

chargervert

Not many things that make me want to cry in my life,but when I looked at my freshly painted sublime car,and there was big chips missing on the fender and door, it was all I could do not to cry like a little girl!

hemi68charger

This is what it would look like.. But unfortunately, the stripe developed a bunch of bubbles in the stripe that they couldn't get out and well, took it off. I am bring home the car today...
Troy

hemi-hampton

Did the stripe wanta come off easy on the Fresh Paint? LEON :scratchchin:

superbirdtom

if you leave a stripe on too long ( MONTHS) out in the sun etc the adhesive under the stripe will actually bond to the clearcoat. but im sure it came right off this paint job as ive been there w a big blackout on a challenger hood.  u have to use lotsa soapy water worked from the middle out .  before i got out of auto body we were using alcohol to put on decals which worked real well.  especially on the clear rock chip decals many cars have now all over the fronts of modern cars.   Sign companies have their own specially formulated goop they use to put decals on vehicles etc.  The paint on this 500 looks great!

hemi68charger

Well, she's home..
Troy

hemi68charger

Operation they-ain't-NOS-anymore; once they get put on the car  :2thumbs:

Well, long story here but behind the scenes there was a possibility that the 500, as it was post paint-n-body, was going to find another home. A gent who has made repeated inquiries about the car since I bought it called again right before I took delivery of the car from the shop. Well, in my true nature, I thought "What the Heck".. Ok, I didn't go after anything on this.. 😀
Told him it would be ONLY if I was able to get enough cash to buy a Superbird I know of AND another car he owned in particular. After all, this 500 is NOT your typical Hemi Charger 500. Not that any Hemi Charger 500 is typical. EVERYTHING was in line and I was feeling rather pumped about it.. But, alas, he reached out 2 days after what I thought was wiring the money only to find out he had to pull out of the deal. Oh well, wasn't meant to be.. (granted wasn't too happy and still aren't). Soooo, time for some Mopar-therapy by installing some NOS parts and getting one NOS Monoco/Polara wheel cover. Few things are better than installing new emblems on new paint.
Troy

Charger-Bodie

as hard as it is to hold off id wait atleast 30 days before installing parts that clamp the paint.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

odcics2

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on March 06, 2020, 11:39:33 AM
as hard as it is to hold off id wait atleast 30 days before installing parts that clamp the paint.

Agree.

Car looks great!   :coolgleamA: :cheers: :2thumbs:

birdsandbees

I'll second what ChargerBodie said, my paint shop put my door handles and latches on and they sunk into the clear. I took them all off and left them off for while as I was installing the reinforcing plates inside the doors and then searched through my spares for slightly wider body gaskets to put them back on.

That said, start assembling things in logical order, headliner first, firewall insulation, heater box, etc.. etc and worry about trim last. Oh and get that sale thing out of your head, you're keeping this one!  :yesnod:
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

hemi68charger

Haven't secured the emblems yet, just resting in the hole.. But I will heed your suggestions..

Going to order the lines now..
Troy

Mopar John

Only 3 NOS hub caps to go!
Not many pairs, sets, assemblies left now days!
MJ

odcics2

Quote from: Mopar John on March 06, 2020, 02:59:07 PM
Only 3 NOS hub caps to go!
Not many pairs, sets, assemblies left now days!
MJ

Buy what you can, when you can.    :yesnod:  :yesnod: :yesnod:

hemi68charger

some more from yesterday.... fun putting the new stuff on...  trunk and taillamp trim. May adjust the deck lid down a wee bit.
Troy

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html