News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 charger - Left or right tail lights -- Still don't know Which is correct

Started by john108, June 21, 2019, 10:58:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

john108

68 charger -
Examining the back of each tail light, the tabs and attachment lengths are slightly different.
Does that imply that left and right are specific for each tail light.   Cocked in or out slightly???

Troy

Yes, they are side specific. Not only that, but each lens is unique as well. The tail panel is not flat - it's pointed in the middle in a V shape. The lenses in the taillights, when installed, point straight out which means they need to be angled opposite of the surface.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

john108

Okay
Thank you, I think.
I have everything taken apart, in a pile.
I will try to interpret what you told me.
Then dry fit??

Are all The metal rings that surround the lenses the same??

Troy

Sorry, I should clarify... I believe the actual red plastic lenses are probably the same for all 4. It's the chrome rings that are different. If you can see the part numbers they should be different.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

john108

Troy
Based on your explanation:
The main housing appears to be 14746 for drivers side (to tilt inward).
14747 for passenger (right) side.

I can't find a P/N on the chrome rings. 
I can see that they will cock sideways as one side is longer than the other on each ring.
So I assume that they slightly point towards the center of the car also unless they have to undo some of the tilt of the main housings.
What is your opinion?

john108

This Question Appears to have been missed:

I can't find a P/N on the chrome rings. 
I can see that they will cock sideways as one side is longer than the other on each ring.
So I assume that they slightly point towards the center of the car also unless they have to undo some of the tilt of the main housings.
What is your opinion?

Thank You

Kern Dog

Come on, John....You took these apart without taking pictures or notes???? :eek2:

A383Wing

Look on the back or somewhere on the pot metal housing, there should be a 7 digit part number, should begin with a "2" if I remember

The even part number will go on the passenger side, odd number on the driver's side

Bryan

john108

Greg - I took many pictures. Didn't expect there to be a difference as they look identical.
Until it was pointed out, I didn't see a difference.  
Then when put next to each other, and rotate one of them, you can see that one edge is slightly higher than the other.

A383Wing - I looked every place on all 4 rings and then found, on the inside, way down deep in a skinny channel, covered with stuff, NUMBERS.
I looked a few times with light and magnification, easy to miss.

For reference:
Numbers 1 and 2 have the same tilt and 3 and 4 are the same.

1) 2853 244 30503 14750
2) 2853 246 30503 14754

3) 2853 245 30503 14751
4) 2853 247 30503 14755

Per your explanation:  #'s 1 and 2 are passenger
and #'s 3 and 4 are Driver side.
BUT, Is there an inner and outer for each ring?
Part Numbers are different.

The Odd vs Even seems to be different from what I concluded for the main tail light housings.

Thank You
John