News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Priming 440 short block

Started by metallicareload99, July 03, 2019, 04:58:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

metallicareload99

Dumb question, but when priming just a short block with lifters, should I see oil pressure on a mechanical gauge?  Seems like lots of oil moves priming by hand and even more when using a drill.  The drill bogs down and plenty of oil is getting to the ports in the back of the block and to the holes going to the heads when the cam is in the right spots.  With the drill the needle does try and move, but this gauge is a little beat up tho also.  I know to expect pressure with a long block+ but this is the first time trying with just a short block.  Thanks for any advice
1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

metallicareload99

Quote from: cdr on July 03, 2019, 07:44:21 AM
Yes it should show pressure

That's not good, lets hope the gauge is actually bad   :-\

Ghoste

Did you try priming it with nothing attached to the pressure gauge port just to see if oil is getting through the port?

metallicareload99

Quote from: Ghoste on July 05, 2019, 05:15:42 AM
Did you try priming it with nothing attached to the pressure gauge port just to see if oil is getting through the port?

Yeah, I started by adding one lifter @ a time, when oil poured out of the galley I put the next lifter in, starting at the front passenger side.  And then I didn't install the gauge until oil came out of the rear port.

Anyway, update to my dumb question, is I'm an idiot.  I said the gauge was kinda beat up, specifically it got a little burnt on one side and the inside mechanical parts were loose flopping around.  When I tightened the nut that retains the inside parts the needle got stuck on the wrong side of the 0 psi resting pin, and couldn't move.  Loosened the nut and moved it over to the proper side and now I get 50+ psi with the drill priming

ACUDANUT

You mean long block. A short block has heads.  :Twocents:

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: ACUDANUT on July 08, 2019, 01:12:34 PM
You mean long block. A short block has not heads.  :Twocents:

He said it has no heads on it and oil was coming out of the ports that would go to the heads.

ACUDANUT

"Dumb question, but when priming just a short block with lifters."
If a block has lifters on it, then that means the heads are on:Twocents:

timmycharger

Quote from: ACUDANUT on July 09, 2019, 11:56:02 AM
If a block has lifters on it, then that means the heads are on.  :Twocents:

Nope... C'mon man..

ACUDANUT

My bad, I was thinking valves, which connect to lifters. Sorry.

metallicareload99

Quote from: timmycharger on July 09, 2019, 12:02:09 PM
Quote from: ACUDANUT on July 09, 2019, 11:56:02 AM
If a block has lifters on it, then that means the heads are on.  :Twocents:

Nope... C'mon man..

Thank you, illustrates the situation!