News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

BEWARE OF PROFORM 66868 ROCKER ARM KITS WILL DESTROY YOUR ENGINE

Started by kevs1969daytona, July 19, 2019, 05:52:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevs1969daytona

I was replacing my rocker arms on my new engine date coded 440 (1970) was having issues with the old rocker arms and push rods.  So we got a set of PROFORM 66868 kit and a set of crane push rods the ones with the cups.   Got the engine going sounded ok except for a noise which I describe as a "twitty bird" twitting coming from the rocker set.  I initially thought it was a thicker push rod touching the cast iron head.  But we took the rocker off and noticed something that you WILL NOT BELIEVE.  some of the balls in the rocker are (the round ball that fits into the push rod cup) were different sizes.  Some were actually too big to fit all the way into the ball making that twitty bird noise.   They would have failed sure after only a few days causing serious engine issues.  Just a WARNING to the members of this chat forum

c00nhunterjoe

kevs1969daytona

Will have some pretty soon my engine guy took off the passenger side.  But drivers side still on will take some pics.

c00nhunterjoe

I would reccomend the comp cams 1621-16s for anyone upgrading from stock stamped rockers.

kevs1969daytona

Yea going with another company thats for sure, just cant believe that allow this product on the market.  zero quality control.  Could ruin an engine.

c00nhunterjoe

You get what you pay for. Proform is bottom of the barrel. Go with the comps. Steel, plenty light enough to make make, plenty strong enough for stability and longevity. I use them frequently and have them on my max wedge with 800# spring pressures.

ACUDANUT

IMO some look taller, others shorter  :shruggy:
Hard to say without seeing it better. :Twocents:

kevs1969daytona

Dude I am not lying they are absolute Chinese garbage, zero quality control.  Went with crane comp

Kern Dog

W H A T ??
The cheapest set of rocker arms has defects and isn't a high quality part ?? :smilielol:
Yeah....It is sad to admit that there are companies that make such crap but they are out there...Maybe hoping the end user will just screw around with it to make it work.
NEVER buy the cheapest of any tool, part or service. The "thrill" of saving a few bucks wears off really fast when you are waiting for the tow truck to drag your car home.

kevs1969daytona

Quote from: Kern Dog on July 20, 2019, 11:29:19 PM
W H A T ??
The cheapest set of rocker arms has defects and isn't a high quality part ?? :smilielol:
Yeah....It is sad to admit that there are companies that make such crap but they are out there...Maybe hoping the end user will just screw around with it to make it work.
NEVER buy the cheapest of any tool, part or service. The "thrill" of saving a few bucks wears off really fast when you are waiting for the tow truck to drag your car home.

Can not disagree with that

BSB67

I'm always surprised at the gravitational pull of aftermarket rocker arms.  Guys that are on a tight budget seem compelled to replace the tried and true factory units that will work with 90% of the hydraulic application with cheap aftermarket junk. 

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

ACUDANUT

Quote from: BSB67 on July 21, 2019, 06:25:51 AM
I'm always surprised at the gravitational pull of aftermarket rocker arms.  Guys that are on a tight budget seem compelled to replace the tried and true factory units that will work with 90% of the hydraulic application with cheap aftermarket junk. 

You know I was thinking the same thing:2thumbs:

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: BSB67 on July 21, 2019, 06:25:51 AM

I think its because of the gm crowd and the gains from going to a "roller rocker" over a stock gm post rocker. The misconception that chrysler shaft rockers are power robbing just follows suit. Hell, even jesel essentially copied the mopar design.

Kern Dog

Not to make excuses but I went with an adjustable rocker set to gain ratio and adjustability for the solid cam I planned to use.
Some jump on the bandwagon to buy these just like others do with those aftermarket coil over front suspension setups....They think if it is NEW, it must be an improvement over the vintage Mopar stuff.  :shruggy:
My rocker set was bought from Mancini racing and described as a generic set patterned after Harland Sharp.

ACUDANUT

c00nhunterjoe

Harland sharp makes them under the Mancini sticker. They are not knockoffs. Or at least they were the last i heard. Runs around 500 bucks complete. Nothing against hs, but i would still get the comp steels for another hundred.

Kern Dog

Quote from: ACUDANUT on July 22, 2019, 12:53:43 PM
Looks expensive KD, how many cars do you have ?
Expensive? Nahh....
I have the 1970 Charger, a '75 Power wagon, a '67 Dart and 3 project cars.
Oh yeah, my 334,000 mile daily driver too:

kevs1969daytona

Put the Crane Comps with Manley push rods in today put on maybe 70 miles om the car zero issues.  I could tell the Manley were made in the USA because the Rods were wrapped in the real estate portion of the New Jersey news paper.  Apparently in New Jersey nice house is 1.3 million ouch.

c00nhunterjoe

Crane and comp are 2 different companies. Which did you go with?