News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Turn signal cam replacement?

Started by Wakko, August 12, 2005, 08:02:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wakko

My turn signal doesn't turn off on it's own.  How does the cam mechanism work and what do I need to replace?
Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

Chryco Psycho

the cam can be changed but it si  easier to replace the whole turn signal switch

martinihenry

Stinking Year One has these. In my 2003 catalog, they were $49.95, now they're $135.00!!!!! GRRRRRR, those bloodsuckers!!!! :flame: Part number is FD47801

Being Irish, and not very wealthy, the world will stop spinning before you catch me paying $135.00 for a small bit of plastic and some wires. Thus, in the near future, I'll be tearing into mine to implement a home-brew fix. Will share pics of the evolution when it goes down.

Jason
1969 Dodge Charger 318 (2 doors only, thank you very much)
1972 Dodge W-200 4X4 "PowerWagon"
...Only Dodge in my garage!

dodgecharger-fan

FD part numbers mean you can get them right from the dealerships. You just need to figure out which one you need.
I used to have that info somewhere. *Wanders off to look*

dodgecharger-fan

and then there's rock auto - $8.31

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/catalog.php?carcode=1078961&parttype=4832

that's what comes up when I select for a 69 Charger. I wonder if it's the right part?

Wakko

Guess I should order it and find out.
Ian

Boynton 236 F&AM

Chryco Psycho

try your local parts store , Standard should make a switch for around $30 that is identical to the dealer part

Lostsheep

Would I be needing this same part since my blinkers/flashers do nothing?

Nacho-RT74

buddy, on wheel/wheel adapter itself  is the "stud" what makes turn off the turning cam, so maybe is out of place ( too deep )...
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Wakko

Ah, ok.  Guess I'll disassemble it and find out which part is broke.
Ian

Boynton 236 F&AM

John_Kunkel

NAPA has the cam only, their P/N is DL 6120; lists for $12.50.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

martinihenry

I just ordered one from Rock Auto. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Jason

martinihenry

Well, part of my order arrived today in a box that looked like a squeezed "squeeze-box". Fortunately, my new 3 prong headlight connectors were intact in there. The turn signal switch is "shipping from another warehouse" according to the invoice. Will keep you posted.

Jason

Wakko

Ian

Boynton 236 F&AM

Charger4404spd

Got mine at the local Dodge dealer. I believe it was $59. They didnt have it in stock of course, but they got it the next day.

martinihenry

Okay, mine finally arrived today. Here are the installation instructions. A post with a pic of the part itself will follow. You'll note, some bodgery may be required for an exact fit. It does come with a replacement retaining washer.

Jason

martinihenry

And, here's the part itself...

Ghoste

So how about an update?  Everything is working great now, right?

martinihenry

Yes, everything went fairly smooth. I expected it to be a 1 hour job, but it turned into 3 hours, but that's because I did some "fu-fu" work, cleaning up pieces inside the column once I got in there.

The instructions that came with the part proved to be pretty useless, but you guys can learn from my experience. I took many photos, and wrote up some detailed comments to go with them. I present them for your review here....

http://www.martinihenry.com/temp/albums/tsreplacement/tsreplacement.html

Let me know how you guys fare. I'm interested to see if your switches look any different than mine.

Cheers, Jason

Wakko

Jason! That's a GREAT page you built...very helpful!! 
Ian

Boynton 236 F&AM

martinihenry

Quote from: Wakko on August 29, 2005, 01:42:44 AM
Jason! That's a GREAT page you built...very helpful!!  

Thank you sir, it was kind of a pain in the arse, but hopefully, the pics will help those wanting to do the job. The switch from Standard (via rockauto.com) has been working quite well. It's a great feeling to turn a corner, and not have to worry about futzing around with the lever to cancel the turnsignal. It would be neat if this site had a "How To" section. We could archive this there...I'm not sure how long I can keep it on my server.