News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 build

Started by slim, August 12, 2005, 08:28:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slim

I have a 66 dodge charger, but it has a 78 440 in it. I would like to rebuild it (myself), but i don't know where to start. I was wondering if any one could help me out. Also i would like to really "beef" it up. Please help!

Chryco Psycho

Well it it really depends what you want for the end result , there are a  thousand variables in a engine build up ,
the first thing to do is disassemble it & check for uneven brg wear indicated a possible need to align bore the block & or have the rods checked for straightness

morepower

and what do u plan to do with the car.pumped up street driver? race car? barely street?
1968 Dodge Charger 496 Sublime Green 3.91 torqueflite. Built to drive. Best ET 11.73 at 117

2010 SRT Dodge Challenger 6.1 Hemi Orange 5 speed automatic. Daily Driver. Best ET 13.4 at 105

slim

i want somithing that will blow everybody away "barely street legal"

gsmopar

Then I guess the next questions would be:

How much do you want to spend?

What is the rest of the car like (Trans, rear end, rear suspension, chassis, Roll Bar, etc...)?

morepower

deffinately need how much u want to spend and for a lot of power you would really want a reputable machine shop that does great work machine and build it.
1968 Dodge Charger 496 Sublime Green 3.91 torqueflite. Built to drive. Best ET 11.73 at 117

2010 SRT Dodge Challenger 6.1 Hemi Orange 5 speed automatic. Daily Driver. Best ET 13.4 at 105

firefighter3931

Pump gas...race fuel ? 3.75 stroke or 4.15 stroke ? Iron heads or aluminum ? Lots of variables to consider...

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs