News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Holley Sniper w/Timing Control Installation Complete

Started by 69Chrgr, January 07, 2020, 07:49:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

69Chrgr

Finally got around to working on my own cars in between customers cars. Holley Sniper, EFI fuel tank, and Holley Dual Sync installation complete. It's far exceeded my expectations and I'm still playing with all of the tuning capabilities, but so far I can tell you that it has made the idle more crisp, starts MUCH better, and quite frankly it's a handful, although it already was before. Installed the same system on my customers 409 4-speed car I built for him, and he has already broken the driveshaft. Luckily I have a Dana and 727 with a much stronger drivetrain. I'm about to install 2 more of these systems, one on a customers 351C stroker motor I built for his 73 Torino, and another on a 68 Corvette. The timing control is such an added bonus as is the EFI ready fuel tank.

John_Kunkel

Quote from: 69Chrgr on January 07, 2020, 07:49:09 AM
so far I can tell you that it has made the idle more crisp, starts MUCH better,

That will fall on deaf ears to some here.  ::)
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

69Chrgr

Quote from: John_Kunkel on January 07, 2020, 03:00:19 PM

Hmm. Well, not sure how better to explain it besides that it obviously makes more power down low. I used to only start off in 2nd gear during normal driving with my MVB 727. Now I just use 3rd gear as it feels like the torque is right of idle now.

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: 69Chrgr on January 09, 2020, 03:08:43 PM

Hmm. Well, not sure how better to explain it besides that it obviously makes more power down low. I used to only start off in 2nd gear during normal driving with my MVB 727. Now I just use 3rd gear as it feels like the torque is right of idle now.

You do WHAT?

Rubberduck

´68 Charger, 505 by CWE, 4-speed

69Chrgr

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on January 09, 2020, 04:36:56 PM

Normal driving, i.e. just riding around town, I leave it in 3rd gear. Cope 727, RMVB, 3.73 gears. For spirited driving, obviously I use 1st and 2nd, (1st is useless pretty much).

You do WHAT?

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: 69Chrgr on January 10, 2020, 07:53:59 AM
Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on January 09, 2020, 04:36:56 PM

Normal driving, i.e. just riding around town, I leave it in 3rd gear. Cope 727, RMVB, 3.73 gears. For spirited driving, obviously I use 1st and 2nd, (1st is useless pretty much).

You do WHAT?

Thats hard on the trans. Ive got 4.88s and an 8" converter and i dont even start in 2nd. I also have more then enough torque to do it if i wanted to. But why?

John_Kunkel

Common sense prevails. Taking off in 3rd with heavy throttle obviously works the converter hard but light throttle not so much.

69Chrgr

I agree John. I'm not trying to blow the tires off taking off in 3rd gear. Just normal driving.

c00nhunterjoe

Even normal driving on 3.73s from a stop in high gear consistently is hard on parts. Im not even going to argue how that is considered using common sense.

John_Kunkel

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on January 12, 2020, 09:52:05 PM
Even normal driving on 3.73s from a stop in high gear consistently is hard on parts.

Explain, what "parts"? Don't be afraid to get real technical, they don't charge by the word here.

c00nhunterjoe

Dont see what needs to be technical john, utilizing increased torque of a high performance engine to use a 1:1 ratio for all driving speeds is not considered common sense or normal. If you want to sit here and suggest to the membership that this is a reccomended practice- please do it.

69Chrgr

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on January 13, 2020, 12:25:36 PM
Dont see what needs to be technical john, utilizing increased torque of a high performance engine to use a 1:1 ratio for all driving speeds is not considered common sense or normal. If you want to sit here and suggest to the membership that this is a reccomended practice- please do it.

View Profile Email Personal Message (Offline)

Re: Asking just for fun...engine/drivetrain
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2014, 07:32:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

"I have a 4 speed, 28" tires and 4.30's and im not afraid to cruise 65 on the highway. Ive taken 2 1/2 hour trips to cabelas in my car, all highway.

People seem to forget that you cant put big motors and big cams in these cars, then drop 3.23's or an overdrive in them and cant figure out why the cars are sluggish and run like crap trying to cruise the highways at 1500 rpm. My car at 1500 in 4th is skipping off the cam pretty hard and will start getting the rompin shakes if i try to push it to long. She is still skipping a little bit at 1800. anything under 2k isntreally the best cruise rpm. 2500 is good, she sounds reall nice at 3k and is my typical cruise rpm up to 3500."

John - Don't waste your time.

John_Kunkel

Dont see what needs to be technical john, utilizing increased torque of a high performance engine to use a 1:1 ratio for all driving speeds is not considered common sense or normal.

"Increased torque" at light throttle takeoff?

Consider a 5000 pound plus '78 Imperial with a 440, 2.76 axle ratio and an 11" converter. Compare that to the subject car and the Imperial should logically be "hard on parts" but they somehow manage to survive.

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: 69Chrgr on January 14, 2020, 07:17:51 AM

View Profile Email Personal Message (Offline)

Re: Asking just for fun...engine/drivetrain
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2014, 07:32:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

"I have a 4 speed, 28" tires and 4.30's and im not afraid to cruise 65 on the highway. Ive taken 2 1/2 hour trips to cabelas in my car, all highway.

People seem to forget that you cant put big motors and big cams in these cars, then drop 3.23's or an overdrive in them and cant figure out why the cars are sluggish and run like crap trying to cruise the highways at 1500 rpm. My car at 1500 in 4th is skipping off the cam pretty hard and will start getting the rompin shakes if i try to push it to long. She is still skipping a little bit at 1800. anything under 2k isntreally the best cruise rpm. 2500 is good, she sounds reall nice at 3k and is my typical cruise rpm up to 3500."

John - Don't waste your time.

And this has relevance......? You asked about my combination at the time and the discussion pertained to rpm/ cam behavior. The board discussion was about cams and overdrives, not what is being discussed here. Tell me again what this has to do with doing take offs and around town driving in high gear?

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: John_Kunkel on January 14, 2020, 02:59:26 PM
Dont see what needs to be technical john, utilizing increased torque of a high performance engine to use a 1:1 ratio for all driving speeds is not considered common sense or normal.

"Increased torque" at light throttle takeoff?

Consider a 5000 pound plus '78 Imperial with a 440, 2.76 axle ratio and an 11" converter. Compare that to the subject car and the Imperial should logically be "hard on parts" but they somehow manage to survive.

So again, are you, or are you not reccomending the driving of these cars locked in high gear for day to day use? Dont beat around it john.

John_Kunkel

"Recommend" is your word. I'm merely saying it's not as destructive as you believe, so sure, do it.

I've driven a couple of RMVB cars as daily drivers and often would leave them in 2nd or 3rd to prevent the "snappy" 1-2 upshift.

69Chrgr

Quote from: John_Kunkel on January 15, 2020, 12:57:49 PM
"Recommend" is your word. I'm merely saying it's not as destructive as you believe, so sure, do it.

I've driven a couple of RMVB cars as daily drivers and often would leave them in 2nd or 3rd to prevent the "snappy" 1-2 upshift.
Bingo.