News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Lakewood Bellhousing Surface Parallel

Started by Ghoste, January 16, 2020, 06:37:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

I know about checking runout but I was told that it's even more important to have the mating surfaces of a Lakewood (or any) bellhousing ground to ensure they are parallel.  It makes sense of course that they should be but are they all cast so badly that its become a necessary expense for anyone purchasing one?

RallyeMike

QuoteI know about checking runout but I was told that it's even more important to have the mating surfaces of a Lakewood (or any) bellhousing ground to ensure they are parallel.  It makes sense of course that they should be but are they all cast so badly that its become a necessary expense for anyone purchasing one?

They are not cast but rather formed and welded steel. I don't believe what you are talking about is anywhere near as important as runout, but what the heck... look at it. If its off a few thou I don't think that's a problem.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Ghoste

My related concern is that living where I do there isn't much for reliable auto machining.  The only local shop I cant trust enough to drop off the bell and have them grind it ONLY if needed.  If I leave it there, its pretty much a guarantee they will find it off and grind it whether needed or not.

birdsandbees

Use a digital level.. find a perfectly flat floor or bench with same. Place bell housing on said surface and then check the trans mounting surface in all directions for level.
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

John_Kunkel

I believe run out and parallelism are equally important, parallel maybe more so; think about it, if the mounting surface isn't parallel the pilot is cocked in the bushing.

Years ago, I built a Clutchflite for a guy who managed to wipe it out in a few minutes of running because the new Lakewood was way out of parallel.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

timmycharger

Quote from: birdsandbees on January 17, 2020, 10:58:18 AM
Use a digital level.. find a perfectly flat floor or bench with same. Place bell housing on said surface and then check the trans mounting surface in all directions for level.

That is what I did.  :yesnod:

Then I got all fancy and bought a tool to check the alignment because I got too frustrated trying to do it with measuring  :brickwall:

that welded nasty looking nut on the zbar mount is long gone. I bought the Bellhousing used and somebody hacked it on there

Ghoste

Could you not also check for a parallel trans mount surface by moving the dial indicator up to there and rotating through the same fashion as checking runout?

Ghoste

I have since learned that is a valid way to check. 

John_Kunkel

Even the FSM shows the dial indicator being used for parallel check.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: John_Kunkel on January 24, 2020, 04:11:39 PM
Even the FSM shows the dial indicator being used for parallel check.

The chrysler fsm's are full of great information.

Ghoste

They are and I have a collection of them but its a long time since I just thumbed through one other than looking for torque specs.  This was a topic I never would have expected to be in there.  Thanks John.