News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

for the original fast & furious charger fans

Started by tan top, January 31, 2020, 07:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tan top

never been a fan of these films  ...  although at least the first film is closer to reality  :-\

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJgtRx3wC6g
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Captain D

I always thought that it was just a prop atop the hood (fake blower, in other words)...

Ghoste

Canadian1968

A 1970 Charger weighs... 3200lbs.... ummmmm

I think  they mixed up the numbers ... Supra is 3200..... Charger 3900

Mike DC

Yeah they probably flipped those two.

Truth is, even a (twin turbo) Supra would weigh most of 3500 pounds.  More like 3600 with a rollcage and some big rims.   

Drache

Quote from: Captain D on February 28, 2020, 12:29:49 AM
I always thought that it was just a prop atop the hood (fake blower, in other words)...

It was. The engine that you see, like they said in the clip, was only in that Charger for the closeup shot. Then it was sent back to the builder. All the cars you see driving in the movie have Chevy 350's under the hood with flake blowers on top.
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Mike DC

Quotet was. The engine that you see, like they said in the clip, was only in that Charger for the closeup shot. Then it was sent back to the builder. All the cars you see driving in the movie have Chevy 350's under the hood with flake blowers on top.

The blowers have always been fake (on the driving/stunt cars).  But the first two FF movies still had Mopar drivetrains in the classic Mopars. 

They started using GM crate motors (in all the classic cars) when a new car supplier took over for FF#3. That supplier has been doing them ever since.

Don't be too hard on the current guy.  In many interviews/articles he has said that the GM motors are just for quick film set repairs.  The Charger is still supposed to be have a Mopar Hemi in the story. 

myk

Quote from: tan top on January 31, 2020, 07:15:23 PM
never been a fan of these films  ...  although at least the first film is closer to reality  :-\

One thing I always love about those movies is how they espouse American muscle cars.  Who can argue with that? 
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Ghoste

MoparMotel

My friends mom is married to Dennis Mccarthy who builds the fast & furious cars. Got to tour his shop and sit in a few, it was pretty awesome. BTW the blowers are fake and some were chevy small block powered.
1968 Dodge Charger

Mike DC

QuoteMy friends mom is married to Dennis Mccarthy who builds the fast & furious cars. Got to tour his shop and sit in a few, it was pretty awesome. BTW the blowers are fake and some were chevy small block powered.

You're lucky.  I would pay money for that tour.

Wakko

Quote from: tan top on January 31, 2020, 07:15:23 PM

His videos are good.  I always wondered how such blatantly bad errors (DANGER TO MANIFOLD!!!) made it into the movie, and he clarified it.   
Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

Kern Dog

My guess is that the producers DO hire technical advisors but probably ignore many of their suggestions because they are egotists that think they know better.
The stunts in these movies have gone way off the deep end.
Two unibody cars dragging a 20 ton safe in # 5
The 28 mile airport runway scene in # 6 or 7.
The cars jumping from skyscraper to skyscraper in #6 or 7.

Drache

Quote from: Kern Dog on May 31, 2020, 01:35:41 AM
My guess is that the producers DO hire technical advisors but probably ignore many of their suggestions because they are egotists that think they know better.

Been there before. Telling a Producer/Director that the firearm in the scene doesn't do that or would have fun out of ammo or wouldn't send people flying or crap like that. Get told to mind my own business.
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Ghoste

People believe it though so how can you blame them?  The crap sells so they clearly know their audience. (or the audience is so generally dumb they've clearly found their ideal film makers?)

Mike DC

The local news channels show car chases with 100% perfect technical accuracy.

Nobody is gonna pay $10 to watch those in a theater.  Most are pretty boring.     

Kern Dog

I agree but the movie stuff completely ignores all properties of probability and physics.

Mike DC

I think it's about expectations.  There are different tiers of realism in Hollywood.  

People watch the 'Dukes' remake and they expect the General Lee to survive ridiculous jumps without a scratch (and Bo & Luke never get a bruise).  But if the same 2nd-unit crew did that in a Jason Bourne movie then the same viewers would be annoyed.    

These days 'Fast & Furious' has reached about the wildest (or you could say 'worst') grade of unreality.  It was a whole notch lower in the first few movies but it gradually got wilder.  The movies just got bigger in general.  Higher budgets, more stars, exotic locations, James Bond super-villains, etc.      

The later F&F movies have been making a ton of money.  Like Batman & Star Wars money.  Financially it's a whole different league from the early F&F movies.  I'm sure the studio doesn't wanna risk dialing back the spectacle on them now.  Going big & wild has been working - don't mess with a reliable formula.  

Guys like us, we also know more about cars (and maybe mechanicals/physics) than most of the audience.  That makes us a helluva lot harder to please.  

Ghoste

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: MoparMotel on April 25, 2020, 09:26:34 AM
My friends mom is married to Dennis Mccarthy who builds the fast & furious cars. Got to tour his shop and sit in a few, it was pretty awesome. BTW the blowers are fake and some were chevy small block powered.

Didn't Cinema Vehicle Services build the original cars?
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

tcs69rt

Kern Dog and Mike DC have it right about these flics. Kinda reminds me of the Police Academy movies  :smilielol: and the never ending story of good vs. evil. F&F 6 filmed for 30 days or so on Pike's Peak in Colorado for road chase scenes after they parachuted from a plane in their cars. Lol. They filmed off road scenes on my friends ranch since Pike's National forest is protected. A full 4 years went by before I watched number 6 and I totally forgot to see if Aspen Valley Ranch was in the credits....  :brickwall:

I did post a few pics of my black 69 RT with their 4 wheel drive Chargers and Camaros for this forum but probably nothing there since it was through photbucket.....
"Life ain't easy when you rode the short bus."

Montclaire

Quote from: MoparMotel on April 25, 2020, 09:26:34 AM

Please get a VIN list if possible. Thx