News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Driving during "lock-down"

Started by lloyd3, March 26, 2020, 08:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lloyd3

This Wuhan Flu thing is a little challenging for me on several fronts.  I am deeply suspicious of big parts of it, but I'm not willing to dismiss the hellish conditions it has caused in places like Italy. Accordingly, I've been careful as well as being mindful about preparing for whatever comes next. "Next" was this morning when our loony-tune governor decided to join the rest of the liberal states (why are all the really bad infections in really liberal places?) in declaring the entire landmass of Colorado a "lock-down" state. I'm home from work because of all this mess and now I can't even go fishing or shooting. I did have to go to the store this afternoon however, and the weather is really nice here so...you guessed it. Traffic is like it used to be here, maybe 10-years ago? Old muscle-cars haul groceries as good as an old pick-up or even an old SUV. I can heartily recommend it as a treatment for the "shack-nasties" or whatever else happens when you stuck at home for long periods of time. 

Kern Dog

Until the Nazi-esque Police stop me to see my "papers", I'll continue to live my life as I always have. I'm not sick and I don't lick toilet seats. I work in construction so I figure that I have been eating dust and bacteria my entire life. I could drink used motor oil and piss well water.  :rofl:

tcs69rt

The new coronavirus is a respiratory virus which spreads primarily through droplets generated when an infected person coughs or sneezes, or through droplets of saliva or discharge from the nose. Solo fishing or shooting should be safer than a run for groceries...just saying :) It don't keep me from riding my Harley (no stops) or from shooting. I am thinking that all those immunizations from the military might keep me safe lmao!
"Life ain't easy when you rode the short bus."

cdr

This is what I do, as a matter of fact I'm goin for a long drive tomorrow

https://youtu.be/x9efSnLL-P4
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Mike DC

:Twocents:

I don't know anyone who has quit driving because of the outbreak.  The issue is where are you going?   If we are staying relatively isolated then it's not gonna hurt.  Basic shopping, going to parks, seeing immediate friends & family, etc.  

Viruses come from 'liberal' states because they have the biggest urban centers.  They have tons of population density and get the most international travelers.  Logically the incoming diseases will hit there first & worst.  

A correct govt reaction to a disease outbreak should look like an overreaction.  Same with preventing terrorism.  If they do their job right then everyone thinks they were overly worried for nothing, because the public never sees how bad it would have gotten without the effort.    

If the govt had successfully prevented 9/11 then people would think they spent many years overly worried about terrorism.  "A few guys were gonna hijack airliners to crash them" would be another abstract idea that didn't carry any emotional weight.  Just like today when they are saying "This virus could kill a million Americans."  The threat won't seem real to us unless it happens, and then we would be furious at the govt for letting it happen.    

ht4spd307

Don't rely on your governments  protect your own family stay away from large groups of people  sanitation  is they key. stay safe  and drive the wheels off your car as your not hurting anyone   

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on March 27, 2020, 02:53:26 AM
:Twocents:

I don't know anyone who has quit driving because of the outbreak.  The issue is where are you going?   If we are staying relatively isolated then it's not gonna hurt.  Basic shopping, going to parks, seeing immediate friends & family, etc. 

Viruses come from 'liberal' states because they have the biggest urban centers.  They have tons of population density and get the most international travelers.  Logically the incoming diseases will hit there first & worst. 

A correct govt reaction to a disease outbreak should look like an overreaction.  Same with preventing terrorism.  If they do their job right then everyone thinks they were overly worried for nothing, because the public never sees how bad it would have gotten without the effort.

If the govt had successfully prevented 9/11 then people would think they spent many years overly worried about terrorism.  "A few guys were gonna hijack airliners to crash them" would be another abstract idea that didn't carry any emotional weight.  Just like today when they are saying "This virus could kill a million Americans."  The threat won't seem real to us unless it happens, and then we would be furious at the govt for letting it happen.   

Nailed comment! But the bolded one is the BEST comparison ever made!

Since 9/11 everybody IN THE WORLD not just in USA is probably seen and judged as guilty first. It  become hard and annoying to travel. Even if I travel from Chile up to Paraguay, where there are NOT terrorism situations or anything to be alert about it pasengers have to support the inspections.

So more less the same with the virus, which IT SEEMS not to be present... untill you get the first case around.

So is fine to be alert and get more restrictions with terrorism but not the same with the virus, which is indeed killing more ppl?

Funny how stuff changes with the diff POV and context on more less similar situations. At the end, I think is more about the visual impact the terrorism causes in just one instant, than a long ( or medium ) therm situation caused by a virus

Wondering how would be managed the situation if the virus began on a terrorism biologic attack?. And ven worst, if happens in USA? How would drive both situations being mixed up?

Just thinking out loud, not judging or critic anybody in here, but worths the thought.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: ht4spd307 on March 27, 2020, 06:15:00 AM
Don't rely on your governments  protect your own family stay away from large groups of people  sanitation  is they key. stay safe  and drive the wheels off your car as your not hurting anyone   

With reduced traffic in highly populated areas, it's really a great time to get out of the house and just go for a ride.

lloyd3

I wheeled into Walmart yesterday to pick up a few items for my wife, and there was an older gentleman standing outside enjoying the sunshine (by "older" I mean roughly... my own age). He might have been smoking as well, I couldn't tell, but he did seem a little out of place and he was locked onto my car like a lazer beam, that much was clear. I deliberately parked in a fairly open area of the parking lot (which wasn't nearly as busy as it has been of late) and headed for the door where he intercepted me and asked me about the car. He seemed incredulous to see it, asking me about the year and then the engine, and acting even more amazed by my answers. In the interests of being polite but "distant" I answered his questions succinctly, but kept on walking.  No chewing the fat with folks about cars anymore for a while now, sadly.

Mike DC

QuoteNailed comment! But the bolded one is the BEST comparison ever made!

Since 9/11 everybody IN THE WORLD not just in USA is probably seen and judged as guilty first. It  become hard and annoying to travel. Even if I travel from Chile up to Paraguay, where there are NOT terrorism situations or anything to be alert about it pasengers have to support the inspections.

So more less the same with the virus, which IT SEEMS not to be present... untill you get the first case around.

So is fine to be alert and get more restrictions with terrorism but not the same with the virus, which is indeed killing more ppl?

Funny how stuff changes with the diff POV and context on more less similar situations. At the end, I think is more about the visual impact the terrorism causes in just one instant, than a long ( or medium ) therm situation caused by a virus

Wondering how would be managed the situation if the virus began on a terrorism biologic attack?. And ven worst, if happens in USA? How would drive both situations being mixed up?

Just thinking out loud, not judging or critic anybody in here, but worths the thought.

Thanks.  

I agree about the sudden visual impact of terrorism.  When 3000 people die from a virus it doesn't create the same kind of video clips.  Planes crashing, buildings falling... terrorism is action-packed.

With terrorism there are culprits to blame and go after.  Who do you blame for a virus?  It's nobody's fault.  Nature did it.  (This one started in China.  The 1918 pandemic probably started in Kansas.  Viruses don't care about countries & borders.)    

How do you go after a virus?  You can't.  You can only change your life at home.  You won't get any gratifying payoff (like when some terrorists get killed or arrested).  Diseases are very thankless problems to deal with.  

Birdflu

Quote from: lloyd3 on March 27, 2020, 09:52:34 AM
 No chewing the fat with folks about cars anymore for a while now, sadly.

Just have to chew 6ft away!  :icon_smile_big:

lloyd3

Mike DC: Kansas? I've never heard that one before. I had recently read that the "Spanish" flu of 1918 was called that because of Woodrow Wilson's news blackouts during the First World War. Because only Spain was talking about all of their influenza related deaths (the rest of the world was evidently blacked-out as well) it was so-named accordingly.

Looked that up...https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC340389/

Interesting. Fort Riley!

odcics2

Quote from: Birdflu on March 27, 2020, 10:24:26 AM
Quote from: lloyd3 on March 27, 2020, 09:52:34 AM
 No chewing the fat with folks about cars anymore for a while now, sadly.

Just have to chew 6ft away!  :icon_smile_big:

And stay upwind from the guy breathing!! 
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: lloyd3 on March 27, 2020, 12:16:41 PM
Mike DC: Kansas? I've never heard that one before. I had recently read that the "Spanish" flu of 1918 was called that because of Woodrow Wilson's news blackouts during the First World War. Because only Spain was talking about all of their influenza related deaths (the rest of the world was evidently blacked-out as well)

Spain was neutral on WWI so the local press wasn't really focused on just the war but the internal issues too, hence the reason why Spain was the main country talking about that and the flu was called like that for that reason
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html

CDN72SE

We have a "lockdown" in our province of Ontario (Canada) 13.6 million. We are still carrying on, but obviously the less contact with people the less the virus will spread. No restrictions on going anywhere but cannot do activities in groups.
No stats on political division as people here don't breakdown the country that way.

Frustrating but it will pass. Wish my car was in driving condition. :(
1972 Charger SE

myk

Quote from: lloyd3 on March 26, 2020, 08:10:17 PM
This Wuhan Flu thing is a little challenging for me on several fronts.  I am deeply suspicious of big parts of it, but I'm not willing to dismiss the hellish conditions it has caused in places like Italy. Accordingly, I've been careful as well as being mindful about preparing for whatever comes next. "Next" was this morning when our loony-tune governor decided to join the rest of the liberal states (why are all the really bad infections in really liberal places?) in declaring the entire landmass of Colorado a "lock-down" state. I'm home from work because of all this mess and now I can't even go fishing or shooting. I did have to go to the store this afternoon however, and the weather is really nice here so...you guessed it. Traffic is like it used to be here, maybe 10-years ago? Old muscle-cars haul groceries as good as an old pick-up or even an old SUV. I can heartily recommend it as a treatment for the "shack-nasties" or whatever else happens when you stuck at home for long periods of time. 

The liberal states are worse because of the lack of sanitary conditions, excessive homeless, (like San Fransisco), as well as citizens just not giving a damn and not staying home or even bothering with increasing their hygiene game.  I for one would love to get the Charger back on the road so I can, like you, experience traffic conditions that aren't so horrific like it normally is these days.  I know that the Chinese virus is killing people, putting other people like me out of work and in serious debt, but in a lot of ways, I'm experiencing positive things like the time to actually do the things I actually give a damn about.  Besides, with the sort of gases the Charger spews I'm sure the cure for the Chinese virus and AIDS could be found in its emissions...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Nacho-RT74

Boris Johnson and Prince Charles got Covi-19, soooooo...

StoneCold

Given the current situation, they've taken the opportunity to repaint.

Mytur Binsdirti

ht4spd307

stripedelete

I don't know if liberal state and leadership (governor) are one in the same or they can be compartmentilized. Regardless, Michigan took all the same steps/restrictions as Ohio, but always 2 or 3 days later. Michigan leads Ohio X3 in infections and X4 in deaths.

Based on the Ohio/Michigan comparison,  Florida and Texas may get very ugly.

The one thing we do agree on in Ohio is that our governor and his staff are doing a great job.

alfaitalia

No driving for us....except local trips to get food....its not the driving they worry about...could not infect anyone from your car ....its the destination and who you will have contact with when you get there....that and contact with folk at the fuel stations....none of my cars have moved since Monday.....and Im not allowed out now (food, 1/2 hour exercise with no contact with others) until 1st May at the earliest. It does grate with me some of you guys treating it so lightly...like its not happening or some big conspiracy.......watch some of the Italian hospital footage...you might not be so light hearted about it then.....and because you were so slow to act it will very probably be much worse over there.....your infection rate is already far higher than any other country (just numbers....not per capita). It wont be quite so funny as you watch one of you older relatives slowly suffocate to death due to lack of ventilators....that happening all over the world as i write this......
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

cdr

Quote from: alfaitalia on March 28, 2020, 12:09:59 PM
No driving for us....except local trips to get food....its not the driving they worry about...could not infect anyone from your car ....its the destination and who you will have contact with when you get there....that and contact with folk at the fuel stations....none of my cars have moved since Monday.....and Im not allowed out now (food, 1/2 hour exercise with no contact with others) until 1st May at the earliest. It does grate with me some of you guys treating it so lightly...like its not happening or some big conspiracy.......watch some of the Italian hospital footage...you might not be so light hearted about it then.....and because you were so slow to act it will very probably be much worse over there.....your infection rate is already far higher than any other country (just numbers....not per capita). It wont be quite so funny as you watch one of you older relatives slowly suffocate to death due to lack of ventilators....that happening all over the world as i write this......

Glad I could grate on you,I live confined most of the time & also have a compromised immune system, me driving my car & getting gas at the pump will not harm  YOU or anyone, but it sure is good for me when I am feeling good enough to get outside, all this going on has not changed my life at all, I'm stuck at home just like usual.   
I refuse to live in fear, thats what the media is trying to do. People die everyday, WAY more than are dying from this virus. the thing about life is, we are ALL going to die at some point.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

6pkrtse

Michigan is under lock down also. I have had my Charger out a couple of times. Once to fill it up with some fresh 93 octane since gas is so low right now and to fill my two 5 gallon gas cans for the yard work equipment with some cheaper 87. Then a couple of other times just to go for a ride with my son.
1963 Belvedere 413 Max Wedge
1970 Charger R/T S.E. 440 sixpack.
1970 Challenger R/T Drag Radial 528 Hemi
1970 Charger 500 S.E. 440 4 BBL
1970 Road Runner 383 4 BBL
1974 Chrysler New Yorker 440 4 BBL
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 V-10 488 cu in.
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD Dually 6x6
2012 Challenger R/T Classic

b5blue

A 20 minute spin on my little TW200 just aired out my cabin fever, next I'll fire up the 70!  :2thumbs: