News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Side exaust vs. Single pipe

Started by Lightning, August 12, 2005, 11:54:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

which one would be better performance and looks wise?

Side exit
7 (63.6%)
Single pipe
4 (36.4%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Lightning

well, with a new engine going to be in my car in the next year or so, the exaust is definately going to be switched out.  On Mopar Muscle's Stealth Bomber project car, they kept the single pipe layout, but went to a 3-3 1/2 inch diameter tube.  I'm debating on either side exit or keeping the single pipe like MM did, the engine that will eventually end up in my M-body will be some type of stroker engine, probably a 400-based 451 or a 360-based 416.  (I have been following the 451 engine threads)

Also, the reason why I won't go for straight-back dual exaust is because the gas tank is offset to the left, otherwise I wouldn't be asking this question.

My question is, which would work better with the car, I'm kinda wanting to go with the sleeper look, but I've always wanted good side exaust on whichever car I own.

when racing deals fall apart.....you go home, like me.

Chryco Psycho

large single pipes do work well , , side exhaust generally requires the car to sit higher to get the exhaust under the leaf springs unless you use a T/A satyle muffler with inlet & exhaust on the same end , I feel the side exhust should be more efficient but either could be better depending on a  number of variables

morepower

a single pipe is a far better setup then a single in dual out muffler
1968 Dodge Charger 496 Sublime Green 3.91 torqueflite. Built to drive. Best ET 11.73 at 117

2010 SRT Dodge Challenger 6.1 Hemi Orange 5 speed automatic. Daily Driver. Best ET 13.4 at 105

Silver R/T

I like side exhaust but if sleeper id go with single
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Lightning

ok, so if I go with single, which diameter should I go with on the small block vs. big block issue?
when racing deals fall apart.....you go home, like me.

Lowprofile

I like the idea of the "large dia." single exhaust, especially if your building a "sleeper".  Side exhaust [like on a AAR Cuda?] is cool, but I personally think for your ride, single is the way to go. Does TTI Make a system like that???  Good Luck!

Oh yea, the stroker motor sounds cool! :2thumbs:
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

Chryco Psycho

3.5 " is just slightly smaller than 2- 2.5 " pipes in area , 4" is approx 25% larger than 2 - 2.5" pipes

phat69charger

Quote from: Lightning 06 on August 12, 2005, 11:54:13 PM
well, with a new engine going to be in my car in the next year or so, the exaust is definately going to be switched out.   On Mopar Muscle's Stealth Bomber project car, they kept the single pipe layout, but went to a 3-3 1/2 inch diameter tube.   I'm debating on either side exit or keeping the single pipe like MM did, the engine that will eventually end up in my M-body will be some type of stroker engine, probably a 400-based 451 or a 360-based 416.   (I have been following the 451 engine threads)

Also, the reason why I won't go for straight-back dual exaust is because the gas tank is offset to the left, otherwise I wouldn't be asking this question.

My question is, which would work better with the car, I'm kinda wanting to go with the sleeper look, but I've always wanted good side exaust on whichever car I own.

You could do a combination of pipes if you use oval pipe with round pipe: http://www.ovaltubing.com/

Ghoste

I'd put the big single on there.   I didn't know those cars had an offset fuel tank.   What's the reason for that and is there any way to move it over?