News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Driving during "lock-down"

Started by lloyd3, March 26, 2020, 08:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike DC

QuoteThat's not the private sector's duty, but if you know of a privately funded organization that is the equivalent of the CDC, which monitors worldwide infections and notifies the President, please name it. I'm all ears.

Way to avoid my point.    :2thumbs:

darbgnik

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on April 11, 2020, 11:16:59 AM

On private healthcare it happens the same. Lot of fails and stuff. There is not a perfect system. But IMHO I think could be great to have the option between public and private system for you. Sure the public system should be paid for everyone because everyone can use it, but if you still want to reach the private, then pay for it. Which is what is already available in most of the countries where the public sanitary system is available.

Of course is just my opinion, not a critic.

The problem with everyone paying for the public system but having access to private care, is you are still highly taxed, to pay for public health, but then have to pay extra on top of those taxes for private. It's a money loser....

And if the people with the means to buy private health care, were able to opt out of their share(in taxes), the public system wouldn't be funded....
Brad

1970 Charger 500. Born a 318, AC, console auto, now 440/727
Build thread:  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,127291.0.html

MoparMike68

Quote from: darbgnik on April 11, 2020, 02:43:20 PM

On private healthcare it happens the same. Lot of fails and stuff. There is not a perfect system. But IMHO I think could be great to have the option between public and private system for you. Sure the public system should be paid for everyone because everyone can use it, but if you still want to reach the private, then pay for it. Which is what is already available in most of the countries where the public sanitary system is available.

The problem with everyone paying for the public system but having access to private care, is you are still highly taxed, to pay for public health, but then have to pay extra on top of those taxes for private. It's a money loser....

And if the people with the means to buy private health care, were able to opt out of their share(in taxes), the public system wouldn't be funded....
:yesnod:

cdr

Quote from: darbgnik on April 11, 2020, 02:43:20 PM

Along with free to all the illegals
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Nacho-RT74

well... in Europe works nicelly... just saying
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Challenger340

In Canada we have what's called a Single Payer Health Insurance system ?
and contrary to the well publicized 'special' pitfalls that occur in any health care system, for the vast majority the Canadian single payer insurance system works fine.

That said...
I dunno what kind of Health Care System any country will have left after this Pandemic thing ? because it seems one way or the other the Gov't is going to be the single payer of last resort anyways ? I mean what else are they going to do.... tell all NON or UNDER-insured who get COVID-19 to go die in the street ?
Only wimps wear Bowties !

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on April 11, 2020, 02:01:09 PM

QuoteThat's not the private sector's duty, but if you know of a privately funded organization that is the equivalent of the CDC, which monitors worldwide infections and notifies the President, please name it. I'm all ears.

Way to avoid my point.    :2thumbs:

Ummm, I think I answered your point.

Challenger340

Quote from: Birdflu on April 10, 2020, 06:01:44 PM
Quote from: Challenger340 on April 10, 2020, 11:54:38 AM
Quote from: mel t on April 08, 2020, 10:18:37 AM
So in the 2017/2018 flu season, the U.S. lost over 80,000 citizens!...(or at least we believe they were citizens)! If the news media had a counter in the lower right hand corner of the tv screen back then, we would have had a pandemic back then. Heck, let's have a rolling counter for heart disease, various forms of cancer, car wrecks, opioid abuse...you get the picture! We could/would have the entire country running for a sealed rubber room! Does Corvid-19 present itself as an aggressive 'take no prisoners' form of highly contagious flu? Absolutely, but let's get realistic with how it's being covered by the media. Remember the 2017/2018 season being talked about every minute of every hour of every day back then...I don't!
:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :cheers:

Can someone direct me to where 80,000 Citizens in the U.S. succumbed during the 2017/2018 Flu Season ?
I'm just looking for context around comparisons to the 2017/2018 Flu season and this COVID-19 pandemic ?

I can't seem to find any credible scientific evidence supporting that 80,000 claim, my bad at searches I guess ? so just looking for a link ?
All I could find is this.... and the CDC does NOT support that 80,0000 anywhere I can find ?
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/season/flu-season-2017-2018.htm
with...
the only actual CDC mortality data I could find did support 61,000 deaths... but within an estimated 45 Million flu illnesses ?
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/2017-2018.htm
just say'in....
it would appear that any comparison of the 2017/2018 Flue Season to the current COVID-19 Virus in terms of Virulence/Contagious or Fatality rates may be absolutely idiotic at best ?
Look, no offense to anyone  intended....
I'm just trying to do my own 'comparison' if you will ? because I've heard more than a few times comparison claims made between the 2017/18 Flu and this COVID ?
But it just doesn't seem to be anything but a FAKE claim ?

We've been notified here in Canada that this pandemics effects will continue right through May into June, lowering through Jul/August and the 2nd wave to begin September ?
No matter,
I can still drive my Charger being very rural not a problem.

My response...
Here's the link I ran across that apparently substantiates the 80K figure, but considering the source, it could be fake news. Article was written long after the 2017/2018 flu season so you'd think they (CDC) would have had time to calculate correctly. And to set the record straight, I wasn't comparing the 2017/2018 'regular' flu to COVID-19, I was comparing how the media is handling the current loss of life to the loss of life we experienced in 2017/2018.
https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/26/health/flu-deaths-2017--2018-cdc-bn/index.html
[/quote]

Yes, I researched that link as well.... wherein very clearly in the first sentence they say it was ESTIMATED 80,000... which CDC has since retracted with the 'actual' as 61,000 but out of an estimated 45 Million Flu's

Challenger340

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on April 11, 2020, 04:14:41 PM

Way to avoid my point.    :2thumbs:

Is this true or fake news ?  because I can't tell anymore....
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/07/donald-trump-coronavirus-memos-warning-peter-navarro

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: Challenger340 on April 11, 2020, 04:25:17 PM
Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on April 11, 2020, 04:14:41 PM

Way to avoid my point.    :2thumbs:

Is this true or fake news ?  because I can't tell anymore....
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/07/donald-trump-coronavirus-memos-warning-peter-navarro

Considering where the story is coming from, and the fact that no one has actually turned up said memos, I'd say that it's another hit piece that is nothing but fake news.

Mike DC

QuoteConsidering where the story is coming from, and the fact that no one has actually turned up said memos, I'd say that it's another hit piece that is nothing but fake news.

(Honest, non-snarky question)

What would it take to make you believe the memos were real?  

I'm just curious.  

--------------------

QuoteI mean what else are they going to do.... tell all NON or UNDER-insured who get COVID-19 to go die in the street ?

Umm . . . yeah.  I don't see why that couldn't happen.  

lloyd3

Endless fake news out there anymore. The numbers keep getting cooked and the media loves it. Shut it off and get on with living. Social distancing makes a certain amount of sense, so... by-all-means do so when appropriate.

Gorgeous spring day here today (calling for snow and 11 degrees tomorrow!) so I just washed my car, wiped it down, cleaned the oil pressure sender connection (that was dislodged during my transmission work last week).  It makes almost 60 psi on the gauge now (!) so...nice. Went to get some gas and the highways are jammed. People are everywhere today, walking their dogs, riding their bikes, golf carts all over the neighborhood, also nice.  I'm guessing that within a few more weeks this will all be yesterdays news.  

Mike DC

QuoteEndless fake news out there anymore. The numbers keep getting cooked and the media loves it. Shut it off and get on with living. Social distancing makes a certain amount of sense, so... by-all-means do so when appropriate.

That's where we will be in the future.  There won't be any nice quick vaccine coming for this (how long have we been waiting for an HIV vaccine now? 40 years?)  Eventually we'll have to get back to normal while this thing is still going around.

As for the numbers, compare the total deaths in these months to the same months of previous years.  Anything else is bull.  In places like NYC quite a few people had already died before testing was even available. 

XH29N0G

Fake news is a problem. One way to check is if the news links we see stay live (or disappear)  I have hear that some fake news links one day there there and poof there gone.  Maybe it is because it is April.  Things go away when it warms up.  Just sayin.  Dont quote me.  Might not be gone because it is warm, but it would be good if poof, the links went away.   :nana:  What sort of idiot says things and then says oh maybe it isn't but just saying, what you got to lose .  Go ahead try it.  It might help.  you never know unless you try it.  Oh, I guess that would be the fake news broadcasters.... :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:  You guys crack me up.  You say one thing, blame the fake news, and then say something else.

Either a moron or an agenda.  laughing all the way to the bank. hope you are making as much money as we are.   :lol:

we are great.  You know we are so great that I am getting tired thinking about it.   :smilielol:
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on April 11, 2020, 04:48:48 PM

QuoteConsidering where the story is coming from, and the fact that no one has actually turned up said memos, I'd say that it's another hit piece that is nothing but fake news.

(Honest, non-snarky question)

What would it take to make you believe the memos were real?  

I'm just curious.  

--------------------

QuoteI mean what else are they going to do.... tell all NON or UNDER-insured who get COVID-19 to go die in the street ?

Umm . . . yeah.  I don't see why that couldn't happen.  

Seeing said memos and in the President's hands maybe?

XH29N0G

Just heard an interesting comment at dinner: The rich can afford it and the poor just die.  Think about it, it makes a difference if you can self isolate and work and get access to the best healthcare available. Probably not so much COVID, but maybe some. We all think we are not going to be i that situation and probability makes it a small chance so we are mostly right, but it could make a difference.  I also wouldn't mind paying for visitors to get health care.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

MoparMike68

Quote from: XH29N0G on April 11, 2020, 06:30:39 PM
Just heard an interesting comment at dinner: The rich can afford it and the poor just die.  Think about it, it makes a difference if you can self isolate and work and get access to the best healthcare available. Probably not so much COVID, but maybe some. We all think we are not going to be i that situation and probability makes it a small chance so we are mostly right, but it could make a difference.  I also wouldn't mind paying for visitors to get health care.
I'll pay you a visit if you don't mind,my premiums are through the roof.   :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mike DC

The US health insurance industry will jack all our rates next year/next few years.  Get ready for it. 

There's nothing to stop them.  What's the public gonna do?  Refuse to buy healthcare until they give us cheaper rates?  We'll die.

stripedelete

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on April 11, 2020, 11:21:16 PM

The US health insurance industry will jack all our rates next year/next few years.  Get ready for it. 

There's nothing to stop them.  What's the public gonna do?  Refuse to buy healthcare until they give us cheaper rates?  We'll die.

U.S. healthcare has to be decoupled from employment.  Like it or not we are on are way to socialized medicine.  I would have said, "probably" within the decade before the pandemic.  Now I would bet a kidney that it will be within this decade.   Boutique or concierge medicine will be an option for the wealthy.  So, little will change.
And remember, the Plaque brought about the Reniassance.

On another note, you mentioned no AIDS vaccine.   Even if we do get a vaccine in 18 months, we have a real mess until then.   I think therapeutics will be our savior.  Something that will greatly reduce the chance of death and or hospitalization, will not only make it survivable, it would build herd immunity.   Kind of like they did with AIDS.  It's now a chronic disease, not fatal. 

You could even go "old school".  I can't remember if it was mumps or measles, but once one kid in the neighborhood got it, the parents would have a big birthday party to get every kid infected.   In a couple weeks it would all be over.
You could use that model in smaller groups.  Infect by neighborhood or by % of workplace.   I know it sounds a little extreme but,,,, who knows? (we're in uncharted waters) Again, this is with effective therapeutics.  On the other hand, those parents would be thrown in jail today.

Mike DC

QuoteU.S. healthcare has to be decoupled from employment.  Like it or not we are on are way to socialized medicine.  I would have said, "probably" within the decade before the pandemic.  Now I would bet a kidney that it will be within this decade.   Boutique or concierge medicine will be an option for the wealthy.  So, little will change.
And remember, the Plaque brought about the Reniassance.

Yeah I agree.  It's long overdue.  The private healthcare industry is effectively robbing the public at gunpoint. It's not like a normal product where people can refuse to buy it until prices come down to reasonable.  If your refuse to buy healthcare then you suffer bodily harm, just like a mob boss running a protection racket.

QuoteOn another note, you mentioned no AIDS vaccine.   Even if we do get a vaccine in 18 months, we have a real mess until then.   I think therapeutics will be our savior.  Something that will greatly reduce the chance of death and or hospitalization, will not only make it survivable, it would build herd immunity.   Kind of like they did with AIDS.  It's now a chronic disease, not fatal.

You could even go "old school".  I can't remember if it was mumps or measles, but once one kid in the neighborhood got it, the parents would have a big birthday party to get every kid infected.   In a couple weeks it would all be over.
You could use that model in smaller groups.  Infect by neighborhood or by % of workplace.   I know it sounds a little extreme but,,,, who knows? (we're in uncharted waters) Again, this is with effective therapeutics.  On the other hand, those parents would be thrown in jail today.

That's always been my feeling.  We won't get a Rona vaccine any time soon, but we may figure out a decent treatment protocol using existing drugs.