News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anybody know about Tether Cars?

Started by greycharger, August 07, 2020, 07:07:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greycharger

Bought this at an auction sale for $350, no motor. I believe it is a McCoy Teardrop, calling for a 60 Hornet motor. So I bought one (nearly as much as the chassis), but the motor's block does not fit within the motor carriage. I don't want to modify the mounts, so I guess I'm still looking for a motor.

greycharger

greycharger

b5blue

Start by checking eBay, the fuel is problematic so look into that aspect also.

XH29N0G

That is cool.  I hadn't heard about tether cars, so looked them up. 

My son knows what they are and  said "you didn't know about tether cars?"  Then he went back to watching the F1 race. 
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

RiverRaider

Neat car! Great find!  I wish I would have kept all of mine.  It looks like a late 40's early 50's McCoy.  The motor and flywheel look a little newer.  I believe the motor mount should not be that wide.
If your motor is too big you might need one that looks the one I attached.  Looks like an original fuel tank and not many modifications.  I think there should be a little fin on the front and a dome over the switch.
Off hand I do not know of a motor, but I will ask around.  The guy I sold my cars to past away and his grandchildren scrapped everything with the model T and A stuff.  No auction/sale just called the dumpsters in
so they could sell the farmland.
My first Charger was a Stock Car.

RiverRaider

Have you had any luck finding the correct motor?

alfaitalia

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

greycharger

R-R, Haven't found a motor. I bought a Red Head, then I was sure it had to be a McCoy Hornet. Good Motors run from $250 -350, so I got smart and started asking for the mount dimensions instead of buying and reselling when they didn't fit. If I find something that matches the mount pattern, I'll buy it and see if it fits inside of the carriage.

Quick glance at B5's links looks promising. Have to get to work, but I will be checking them out tonight. I think I will need a coil too. I hate to drill holes or grind on the carriage. I prefer things original. at least original looking. Everything we own will be for sale someday, so I like to not mess things up for the next guy. Nobody wants to buy my Corvette drag car that has a 392 IH motor and powerglide.

RiverRaider

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tether-Car-McCoy-49-Red-Head-Engine/220964018337?hash=item33727b58a1:g:ld0AAMXQ9u1REjoc
This ebay'er over in BeaverDam might be worth contacting.  I found a couple more McCoy pictures on an old PC but the saved links for parts no longer work.
Who's Hobby in Rapid City might be worth contacting they have been around since the 50's.  I got a lot of Vintage Ace Nautical Commander stuff from them.

RiverRaider

I believe that is Dick McCoy on the right and the flag is 48 stars so that race was pre mid '59.