News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New motor for my 69 charger R/T project

Started by Ryan, October 25, 2020, 09:25:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VegasCharger

40k for a motor? And some saying 60k? What a waste of money. Are you really going to use 900 HP on local streets/highways? I sure hope not, you'd probably kill someone. Nut and bolt resto? Makes me think you're not going to race it.

smgdh

Good luck on your Charger.

INTMD8

Not a waste of money if that's what you want.

By that logic every one of these cars is a waste of money because we certainly don't need them.
69 Charger. 438ci Gen2 hemi. Flex fuel. Holley HP efi. 595rwhp 475rwtq

ACUDANUT

Quote from: INTMD8 on November 03, 2020, 08:01:47 PM
Not a waste of money if that's what you want.

By that logic every one of these cars is a waste of money because we certainly don't need them.

Need and want . A debate we all have to face someday. Either way, our days are numbered. Have fun while it lasts.

Ryan

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on November 03, 2020, 01:00:09 PM

QuoteAny hemi built for 50k is a good deal.

BTW, have the repro iron Hemi blocks ever become available again?  What are people using to build near/stock Hemi clone cars now?    

Callies is about to or may have just released a stock appearing hemi block casting.
Up until now your choices were slim to none for stock looking unless you could score a used Mopar performance block  The prices or those have skyrocketed.  
69 charger r/t Triple Black
   572 HEMI, Passion 5 speed, 4.10 Dana under construction

2014 viper TA

Ryan

Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on October 31, 2020, 05:32:50 PM
What a beast! Any pictures of the car its going in?

Will take some new ones and post. Car is still in pieces.

2014 viper TA

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: VegasCharger on November 03, 2020, 07:36:58 PM
40k for a motor? And some saying 60k? What a waste of money. Are you really going to use 900 HP on local streets/highways? I sure hope not, you'd probably kill someone. Nut and bolt resto? Makes me think you're not going to race it.

smgdh

Good luck on your Charger.

Hemis are not cheap. A legitimate bone stock through manifolds 426 hemi will easily make over 500 hp at peak and cost you an easy 40k by the time you purchase all of the correct parts. The stock numbers are heavily skewed. A stroker compounds parts and labor prices. Welcome to the real world. Even wedges built "right" dont cost 10 grand like many beleive.
    900 hp is serious numbers. My car weighs a touch over 4,000 lbs and im roughly 700 horse and run mid 10s. I can make mine hook on the street but its work. I do it all the time. I would love to have 900 horses on the street. I may actually be competitive with my local street guys at that point.....

Mike DC

QuoteNot a waste of money if that's what you want.

This.  

The whole car is a logical waste of money.  And plenty of normal people would think a stock 440 motor is stupid/dangerous/excess on the street.  

QuoteCallies is about to or may have just released a stock appearing hemi block casting.

I wonder if the new one will weigh 300+ pounds like the earlier iron repros.

ACUDANUT

If it's your dream, build it. Forget the people who still have out houses to crap in.  :cheers:

BSB67

Exactly.  I love this hobby, but it is a curse at the same time.

I have three kids.  None are into cars.  I'm thankful.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

BrianShaughnessy

Congrats and good luck!  :2thumbs:    It your dream!  Live it.

I briefly entertained an brainfart the other month to do a Silver Bullet clone when a 67 X showed up locally.   Perfect place to drop a Hemi.     However my mind wandered into just getting a wrecked Hellcat drivetrain before I shelved the whole idea.
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

gtx6970

$40 to $60K just for the engine, WOW. :shruggy:

Im SO  glad  I paid what I did for my car ( somewhere in the  middle of those 2 numbers ) running and driving real hemi car with a hemi in it

Ryan

Quote from: gtx6970 on November 07, 2020, 06:37:04 PM

Im SO  glad  I paid what I did for my car ( somewhere in the  middle of those 2 numbers ) running and driving real hemi car with a hemi in it

Completely different animals my friend.
Top of the line parts cost big bucks now a days. I have friends with high powered modern sports cars that have 150k into cars that were already 100k+ to begin with.  Fast reliable cars are expensive.
This was a max endurance no $ spared engine build.
It makes 900hp with no power adder on pump fuel with a streetable cam shaft with parts that will last 10s of thousands of miles. I'd wager that not too many engines have that kind of resume at any price.

2014 viper TA

gtx6970

Quote from: Ryan on November 07, 2020, 07:32:23 PM
Quote from: gtx6970 on November 07, 2020, 06:37:04 PM

Im SO  glad  I paid what I did for my car ( somewhere in the  middle of those 2 numbers ) running and driving real hemi car with a hemi in it

Completely different animals my friend.
Top of the line parts cost big bucks now a days. I have friends with high powered modern sports cars that have 150k into cars that were already 100k+ to begin with.  Fast reliable cars are expensive.
This was a max endurance no $ spared engine build.
It makes 900hp with no power adder on pump fuel with a streetable cam shaft with parts that will last 10s of thousands of miles. I'd wager that not too many engines have that kind of resume at any price.

Fair enough.

:cheers:

70 sublime

What is the biggest HP motor you have driven yourself to this point ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Kern Dog

Quote from: BSB67 on November 07, 2020, 06:23:32 AM

I wanted kids but it didn't happen. I would have enjoyed having a son that I could pass down my cars and knowledge but would have been really sad if my kid didn't have any interest at all.

BSB67

Quote from: Kern Dog on November 08, 2020, 05:25:53 AM
Quote from: BSB67 on November 07, 2020, 06:23:32 AM

I wanted kids but it didn't happen. I would have enjoyed having a son that I could pass down my cars and knowledge but would have been really sad if my kid didn't have any interest at all.

I'm sorry.  They are a gift.

And certainly having a child that likes what you like can be a gift for you.  But being a parent and having a family really isn't about you though.  Supporting and meeting your kids where they are at is the priority.  I'm very happy and proud of my kids.  For the things that matter, I think they tuned out perfect.  I'm probably a bit biased.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

Ryan

Quote from: 70 sublime on November 08, 2020, 12:26:00 AM
What is the biggest HP motor you have driven yourself to this point ?

naturally aspirated about 800HP in a car that weighed 3,000 lbs

power adder well over 1,000HP , similar weight.

2014 viper TA

Q5XX29

Ryan, can you post up the dyno chart?  :drool5:

To the naysayers out there- believe me, these Tim Banning/FHO stroker Hemis are absolute mechanical masterpieces, and are worth EVERY CENT to the people who are in the market for one. I haven't had a single issue with either of mine, after several years of use and plenty of dragstrip runs. Build your car with a proper powerplant and supply it with enough tire, suspension, and driver, and it is a absolute HOOT! I love rowing through the gears in my '67 GTX with A833 4 speed and nearly 800 lb-ft of torque from 3000-6000 rpm. And all of that with phenomenal durability/longevity, as Ryan stated. These engines have incredible headflow to go along with their big displacement; they don't need ridiculous, abusive valvetrain to make their prodigious power. Yeah, kind of a big fan, here. Looking forward to updates on this build!  :cheers:
dakota_gt on Instagram

Ryan

2014 viper TA

Q5XX29

Quote from: Ryan on November 08, 2020, 04:09:07 PM
here you go

Nice! And horsepower still increasing at the end of the pull. Love it. Thanks!
dakota_gt on Instagram

Eldovert

Ryan,
I am assuming Stage V heads ?
Beautiful engine...have fun!
Cheers,Pat

Ryan

Quote from: Eldovert on November 09, 2020, 10:44:24 AM
Ryan,
I am assuming Stage V heads ?
Beautiful engine...have fun!
Cheers,Pat

Yes stage v heads.

2014 viper TA

PasiR

Looking great - 900 hp is nice for the street use! Enjoy  :2thumbs:

I have 572 KB from Tim as well but only 790hp, 71 B-body.

Charger-Bodie

I also have a 572 . Sadly I wasn't willing to spend tim @Fho money so mine is only about 750 hp with edelvrocke heads and dual avs2 carbs. Still really fun though
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............