News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A new chapter in the life of an unrestored Hemi Daytona

Started by taxspeaker, November 09, 2020, 08:47:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

taxspeaker

Yesterday, the 100% unrestored, 50 year old time-capsule Hemi Daytona xx29J9B381532 came to its new home in Indiana. Much discussed at http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,135489.550.html , with a couple of jerks chiming in, the car proved real and exactly as described by Christine. Christine proved to be 1 of the single finest, most honest people I have met in my entire life and I am proud to call her my friend. Christine's generosity also is beyond belief as I called Ernie Held yesterday and told him of her gift of 2 Daytona fenders to him if I would bring them back to Indiana from Texas, which I was happy to do.

Unbeknownst to this board, I flew down to Dallas on 10/23/20 to inspect the car and it proved to exceed everything I was looking for in the Holy Grail of wing cars. Every single number and casting number on every single part matched, down to the original heater hoses and radiator hoses. The interior is excellent and even the tags on the seat belts remain unfrayed. The original trunk stickers and jacks are there, along with all the door jamb stuff, including the most recent oil change (in 1974 at 37,344 miles) With 39,000 miles on the odometer, it is not yet due for another oil change. I bought the car on 10/27/2020 and drove the 2,000 mile round trip over the weekend to bring the car back to Indiana on 11/08/2020. It now resides in our shop along with our Hemi Superbird and a 1/2 dozen winged associates, but it is in the place of honor.

Plans for the car-there will be no restoration performed-it will be maintained as a time capsule of originality, although we will get it running (gently) and driving (slowly) over the next few months. I have attached 2 pictures below. We took over a hundred pictures loading, unloading etc., and in the next two weeks will take hundreds more. At the present time, I do not even want to loosen one of the original clamps, so nothing will change on this 90% rust free artifact. If you want I will post more pictures.

So in summary, not being a flipper, and treating other people with respect means something in this world. Thanks Christine.
Bob J

69 500

congrats Bob on your purchase  and yes respect goes a long way , don't know how much you had to pony up for it and i won't insult you bye asking , just glad somebody that will appreciate it was able to afford it .  And yes im sure I speak for most of us we would all love to see a the detail pics you care to post, at least I WOULD .  :2thumbs:

birdsandbees

1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

70 sublime

Good for you
I saw the other thread saying the car had a new home and was wondering if any one on here got it
Now I know  :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Dave Kanofsky

WOW, that's awesome it went to a great home that will share it with the audience here!

Congrat's Bob!
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

white

Great News, Cant wait to see pictures of the car up close. It's in good hands.

held1823

This is the post I have been waiting on, as I was aware of Bob's trip and purchase of what is one of the most significant hemi Daytonas in existence. What I was totally unprepared for was the phone conversation I had with Bob on his way back here to Indiana yesterday afternoon. I am still at a loss for words, and even for a normal breath as I type this. I think I made him repeat the news three or four times before I could grasp what he was telling me. I cannot begin to express what the last 18 hours have been like since then. I  worked my ten hour shift at the hospital last night, which was just as well since I doubt I would have been able to sleep anyway.

Christine, you are unbelievable. There are no words to even come close to expressing how grateful I am to you for your over the top gift. I know we have had a few conversations over time, most recently discussing Bob's purchase of the car before I came across a winning lottery ticket. Bob gave me the short version of the conversation you and he had regarding this, but for the life of me I cannot fathom how it came to pass. I hope to visit him and the wife this week and hear the full story from his perspective.

What I do know is I very much want to take you up on the offer to stop by some day, as writing this is not thank you enough. A phone call is also not thank you enough. (you have a voicemail, btw) As luck would have it, my oldest niece goes to school at NAU in Flagstaff. I've made three trips there already over the last fifteen months, two to drop her off, and one to pick her up when the virus shut down the university. Phoenix is a short detour from that route. Once you are settled in back there, I'd love to make the visit happen on a jaunt to Flagstaff so I can thank you in person. Even that is not enough.

p.s. Bob, don't forget, you promised Jean was making cookies.

Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

bannedbird

Congrats to both of you and a salute to Christine for allowing the car to be loved by another enthusiast.  I had followed the original thread and I am glad to see everything was true.
- Superbird Steve - Chicago
1970 A13 E86 D32 B5 H2XW w/GIII, ITB, 6L85

4cruzin

Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

RallyeMike

QuotePlans for the car-there will be no restoration performed-it will be maintained as a time capsule of originality,

Right here is the best part of this story. So few cars give us the chance to save them as they were, and then we are always so motivated (with good intention) to take that away.

Looking forward to seeing more info on the car.  :icon_smile_cool:
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

billssuperbird

Q5XX29

What a lovely, happy story, and a BIG congratulations to Bob on this wonderful acquisition! Congrats to Ernie, also- that is so awesome!  :cheers:
dakota_gt on Instagram

426HemiChick

Thanks Bob, Ernie,                    09 November 2020

We are HAPPY you and all the folks here are HAPPY as well.

We know, I (Christine), got off to a "shaky" start on this site. That was my fault, I'm the "Hot Headed" member of the "426 Hemi Chicks." My SO called me on it, (She's the one with the Brains). The end result is Bob's Daytona now has a fantastic parent and home.

We want to thank everyone on this site for putting up with me, anything I said or wrote that was decent was due to the Love of my Life helping me. Just so you know, she has saved my life three times; were it not for her, I wouldn't be here today.

Now, I have to get back to packing things up so I can get home to Phoenix; been here too long guarding cars.

The other three cars are going with us. We have a nice large well equipped shop there where we can put the RR and SB back together. We are not going to sell them, just drive them to the local Sonic drive-in and local car shows; maybe even a "Street Race" or two.

Thank you Bob, we are very thankful you are now the parent of the "Rarest Hemi Daytona." It was an Honor having you adopt her; She's now in Great Hands.

God Bless You All, and Thank You.

Best Always,

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

taxspeaker

As many of you know, the front end was temporarily removed from the car in order for it to be stored. It is a rare opportunity to snap many, many pictures of the front end. Late last night while looking at the car my friend Mike commented on what a crappy job someone did on the transmission cooler line (normally not seen). I told him the crappy job was done by Creative Industries who assembled the car. He then commented on "who did all the crappy painting of the radiator front area with black paint and runs. I once again told him it was not the mark of good craftsmanship, but rather, the mark of Creative Industries again. Picture in question attached.

The other thing I note is that the few pictures I have of other restored Hemi negative battery cables shows 1/2 of them covered with overspray-the 1/2 near the engine. This one (still retaining the original tag) is oversprayed its entire length pretty much, but just on top. I have just started looking at the trunk-a good cleanup will get it right. We use an "Ozonator" to get rid of the old musty smells. Anyone restoring a Daytona email me and I will get you a picture if I can dso it without removing something.

Finally, a picture is attached of the Daytona on the lift (in the distance) in its new home-1 car (Yellow 6 pack) missing right now.

birdsandbees

1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

gtx6970

Good for all involved.

Do I hear the making of a wicked long distance road trip in an unrestored Hemi Daytona in the making , maybe ??????

I have room in the garage if you want to drive it out here. My Hemi Satellite would enjoy the company Im sure

Mopar John

Bob,
Congrats on the purchase of a RARE HEMI Daytona!
Since you have it up on a lift could you take a few pictures of the bottom of the rockers and pinch weld area.
I would like to see if this original has the factory blackout sprayed on them?
Also if there is black out did Creative touch up the bottom of the front fenders to match?
Thanks! MJ

odcics2

:cheers:

Awesome!   Photos of this car will reset the bar for correctness.
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

69_500

Looking forward to getting down to see it in person.

tan top

wow ! congratulation (TaxSpeaker) Bob  :cheers:  :2thumbs: :coolgleamA:
not on here as much as i use to be , was just reading ( 426 H C's) thread &  about the daytonas sold,
cant wait to see pictures  :yesnod: :popcrn:
awesome gift to (held1823 ) Ernie !  with  the daytona Fenders (426HemiChicks)  Christine ! great stuff  :yesnod:  :cheers: :2thumbs:
your Daytonas gone to a good home  :2thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

hemi-hampton

Congrats, Great Story. Glad to see your keeping it Original instead of Restoring it. :2thumbs: LEON.

Alaskan_TA

Congratulations.  :cheers:

But to be factual, there were more than 'a couple of jerks' in that thread.  ;)

73rallye440magnum

Current- 70 Charger XH29G Y3, F8, F8

Past- '73 Rallye U code, '69 Coronet 500 vert, '68 Roadrunner clone, XP29H8, XP29G8

erndog