News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Your thoughts needed with this debate

Started by kevink, November 23, 2020, 10:35:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike DC

QuoteIf your plan is replace it in kind you also need to factor in the cost/time of finding, fixing, upgrading, taxes, registration, etc. of a new car. $90k starts to become a net of something less - especially in my State where you have to pay 10%+/- tax every time you buy a new or even used car. It benefits one to not rotate through a lot of cars here.

This. 

DAY CLONA

68 Charger, 440....90K, Take the money while it's still on the table

tan top

awesome looking charger ! nice color  :drool5: :yesnod:   
on one hand  if you want to complete change from a second generation charger !  try upping the offer to 100k, & see what happens & take anything over 90k.
on the other hand , if you still love second generation chargers & think i'll be able to get another in the same condition for a fair bit less , it wont happen ! doubt you could even buy the same charger again for 90k in the same condition once its sold.
  :think:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

triple_green

68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

DanielRobert

I like the 'bird in hand ' comment. $90k is very generous....take it and don't look back...we get over these things, especially if you have something else to keep you busy.
1972 Charger
1969 Roadrunner
1974 Trans Am

hemi-hampton

couple people said ask for $100k, that just makes you look greedy when the $90k was already way to generous. :shruggy:

INTMD8

Quote from: hemi-hampton on November 24, 2020, 11:55:34 PM
couple people said ask for $100k, that just makes you look greedy when the $90k was already way to generous. :shruggy:

I disagree.  If the car isn't for sale and this is an unsolicited offer, no reason you can't respond with "the car isn't for sale but this number would change my mind".

Not sure how you guys are arriving at this being a crazy high number based on a few photos. I have no idea the quality of the restoration but my guess is pretty good to get a strong offer.

Or looking at it in another way, can you link the OP to a replacement/restored 68 440 4 speed car of similar quality for less money?
69 Charger. 438ci Gen2 hemi. Flex fuel. Holley HP efi. 595rwhp 475rwtq

AKcharger

as far as pure $$$ go I'd Sell, that is a good price. Plus no telling what the next year is gonna bring financially...might be able to buy it back for $30K this time next year

maxwellwedge

A wise man once told me.....You never go broke making a profit

jefferson

I would not.
But guess it comes down too.
Could 90k replace the fun you get out of owning. Driving. Smelling.touching. loving your 68?
For me. It could not.
Ive rejected numerous offers for mine including triple digits.
I also don't think of yea i could replace it and have money left over with the sale money.
But id never sell mine. Money just cant replace the smiles and fun and sexyness of a second gen charger.

Challenger340

Someone please enlighten me.....
WTF good is ANOTHER $100K sitting in the Bank right now at DONUT Interest..... when TRILLIONS $$ more is being printed out of thin air in life support to keep the economy afloat ?

I mean I must be doing something all wrong my entire life ?

Because right now....
That $90K is valuable only in real time to apply against another current "asset" purchase..... in other words, if you have something else you want to buy right away with the $90K.... that you feel is a better "asset" to hold ?
mainly because,
That $90K is rapidly becoming useless against good assets others are ALL trying to buy to get OUT of Cash, and is bound to lose substantial buying power if held into the future for any length of time whatsoever.

Anyone disagree ?
Then you please tell me what Business fundamentals valuation metric is responsible for the current spike to 30,0000 on the DOW ?
and given....
the context of now $2 Trillion USD deficits and accelerating higher ?

Only wimps wear Bowties !

Challenger340

Quote from: maxwellwedge on November 25, 2020, 12:13:04 PM
A wise man once told me.....You never go broke making a profit

Except when that 'profit'......  is held within a rapidly declining valuation asset class like CASH

kevink

Thanks for everyone's input. I declined the offer. I am just not ready to part with it and may never be. I just don't know how you replace the car with anything better except maybe a Hemi. An all numbers match 1968 Dodge Charger R/T has to be pretty rare right?

hemi-hampton

you wouldn't be able to buy a 68-70 Hemi Charger for $90k unless it was rough needing a resto, but I bet you could buy a nice 66-67 Hemi Charger for $90k. LEON.

Challenger340

Quote from: kevink on November 26, 2020, 12:04:20 PM
Thanks for everyone's input. I declined the offer. I am just not ready to part with it and may never be. I just don't know how you replace the car with anything better except maybe a Hemi. An all numbers match 1968 Dodge Charger R/T has to be pretty rare right?

Yep, it is pretty darn rare !
And NO.... I dunno how you would replace it !

I'm in a similar situation with our survivor Black '69 R/T SE, yes, numbers matching, untouched, unrebuilt, unmolested or changed in any way since new.
IMO, NO point in selling ours because currently there just aren't any 'better' assets to go out and buy...... and although everyone's situation is different..... I believe turning assets into "CASH" right now to then sit on is about the dumbest strategy going for anyone(IMO)

metallicareload99

Awesome car by the way  :drive:

Quote from: INTMD8 on November 25, 2020, 08:32:15 AM
Quote from: hemi-hampton on November 24, 2020, 11:55:34 PM

I disagree.  If the car isn't for sale and this is an unsolicited offer, no reason you can't respond with "the car isn't for sale but this number would change my mind".

Not sure how you guys are arriving at this being a crazy high number based on a few photos. I have no idea the quality of the restoration but my guess is pretty good to get a strong offer.

Or looking at it in another way, can you link the OP to a replacement/restored 68 440 4 speed car of similar quality for less money?

:iagree:  Exactly, if one is out there, it's probably not as nice or it'll be priced higher

Quote from: Challenger340 on November 26, 2020, 09:20:02 AM
Someone please enlighten me.....
WTF good is ANOTHER $100K sitting in the Bank right now at DONUT Interest..... when TRILLIONS $$ more is being printed out of thin air in life support to keep the economy afloat ?

I mean I must be doing something all wrong my entire life ?

Because right now....
That $90K is valuable only in real time to apply against another current "asset" purchase..... in other words, if you have something else you want to buy right away with the $90K.... that you feel is a better "asset" to hold ?
mainly because,
That $90K is rapidly becoming useless against good assets others are ALL trying to buy to get OUT of Cash, and is bound to lose substantial buying power if held into the future for any length of time whatsoever.

Anyone disagree ?
Then you please tell me what Business fundamentals valuation metric is responsible for the current spike to 30,0000 on the DOW ?
and given....
the context of now $2 Trillion USD deficits and accelerating higher ?

I never understood what "savers are losers" meant till this year. I don't see how the value of cash can be maintained, since the governments "best" idea is to print more money.  Makes me wish I financed something with yesteryears real money, so I could pay it off with todays/the futures Monopoly money®
1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth

Challenger340

I never understood what "savers are losers" meant till this year. I don't see how the value of cash can be maintained, since the governments "best" idea is to print more money.  Makes me wish I financed something with yesteryears real money, so I could pay it off with todays/the futures Monopoly money®

Exactly my point..... and anybody with Money/CASH that they saved until today ?
knows full well that their "todays" money/CASH value won't be maintained into the future.... hence, BUY anything else that may hold better "relative" value into the future than the CASH.

Stocks..... Homes.... Classic Cars.... Collectibles.... ANYTHING that may hold value because guaranteed the "CASH" will not !

BrianShaughnessy

$90K ?

I'd be saying show me the money.    My guess is it's just a BJ BS'er.   :Twocents:
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

odcics2

Stocks, homes, cars, collectables, artwork, etc., all share PERCEPTIONS of value.... Prices fluctuate.

Anyone remember the mid 2000s?  Home prices crashed, real estate crashed, stocks crashed.  If you had all your marbles tied up in either, and had to sell, you took gas.

Remember, a vast majority of the younger crowd only cares about selfies, not old cars! 
The vast majority of few that DO like cars buy the newer stuff.    :Twocents:

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Challenger340

Quote from: odcics2 on November 29, 2020, 09:40:26 AM

Stocks, homes, cars, collectables, artwork, etc., all share PERCEPTIONS of value.... Prices fluctuate.

Anyone remember the mid 2000s?  Home prices crashed, real estate crashed, stocks crashed.  If you had all your marbles tied up in either, and had to sell, you took gas.

Remember, a vast majority of the younger crowd only cares about selfies, not old cars! 
The vast majority of few that DO like cars buy the newer stuff.    :Twocents:

Yes I remember the mid 2000's very well.... and the early 2000's... 1990's/1980's etc., and I invested, bought/sold through all ?

IMO....
NO Comparison whatsoever to today's fundamentals nor valuations ?
Basically because the money printing today by any metric whatsoever is UN-paralleled in history..... and "money" throughout that history the base metric now totally skewed !