News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hemi oil pick up

Started by flyinlow, January 30, 2021, 01:35:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyinlow

What mods to a 440 should cause a switch from the 3/8 to 1/2 inch oil pick up?

Besides paying for it is there any drawback?

Challenger340

Quote from: flyinlow on January 30, 2021, 01:35:00 AM

Bearing Clearances for a dedicated High HP/RPM Drag Application in conjunction with a High Volume Oil Pump are good reasons for switching to the 1/2" Pickup.
(example .003+" Main clrc on 2.75" Journal and .003" Rod clrc on the 2.375" Journal

But simply re-drilling and Taping for the larger 1/2" pickup does little without Porting/enlarging the passageway right through to the Pump itself and matching the Pump inlet..... and "radiusing" the 90* turn in the passageway.
Higher capacity Oil Pan is also required..... some drainback address on Hemi's.

That said,
we used to just do it on all wedges/all applications regardless of HP/rpm brg clrc back in the day...... just found more consistent Oil Pressure and cooler Oil temps for some strange reason ? I never did figure that one out why ?
Only wimps wear Bowties !

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: Challenger340 on January 31, 2021, 05:59:20 AM
Quote from: flyinlow on January 30, 2021, 01:35:00 AM

Bearing Clearances for a dedicated High HP/RPM Drag Application in conjunction with a High Volume Oil Pump are good reasons for switching to the 1/2" Pickup.
(example .003+" Main clrc on 2.75" Journal and .003" Rod clrc on the 2.375" Journal

But simply re-drilling and Taping for the larger 1/2" pickup does little without Porting/enlarging the passageway right through to the Pump itself and matching the Pump inlet..... and "radiusing" the 90* turn in the passageway.
Higher capacity Oil Pan is also required..... some drainback address on Hemi's.

That said,
we used to just do it on all wedges/all applications regardless of HP/rpm brg clrc back in the day...... just found more consistent Oil Pressure and cooler Oil temps for some strange reason ? I never did figure that one out why ?

I always thought the consistency and cooler temps was because of the removed restrictions.

John_Kunkel

I have the drill and tap and do all the passageway mods, even on bone stock rebuilds, because I believe easing the flow on the inlet side of the system is as, or more important, than on the outlet side.

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Challenger340

Quote from: John_Kunkel on January 31, 2021, 04:05:11 PM

I have the drill and tap and do all the passageway mods, even on bone stock rebuilds, because I believe easing the flow on the inlet side of the system is as, or more important, than on the outlet side.

Yes I agree John... inlet is far more important in our opinion as well, that's the weak link for the Pumps that are less efficient on the suction side.

For the Stroker Cranks that get 'tight/close" to the Oil Pickup Casting Boss ? We built use a Jig that Bolts to the Oil Pan Rail that acts as a 'guide' for the End Mill we use(hand Bomb in a special drill setup).... so we can slightly 'offset' our pilot hole before Taping for the 1/2" NPT.
It works well, and seeing as how we are porting right through and Radiusing the 90* turn right out to.... and Matching the Oil Pump inlet.... the slight offset at the Inlet Casting Boss in the Block is no biggee but leaves extra room over on the Crank side of the Boss to grind for clearance.

Only wimps wear Bowties !

Texasdoc

Wondering if I can the oil pick up upgrade, Is it possible to enlarge(drill out) the oil pickup to use the Hemi pickup, with the engine still in the car?
I am going to replace my oil pan with the correct 402 or the Hemi pan, hopefully without moving the engine(if possible) and might as well do it, if possible while on the lift.
https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/members/69chargerr-tse.36841/
Spend the money and do it right the first time, or spend more money and do it over, so it's right.

John_Kunkel

Sure, it's possible but you'd have to be very mindful of the metal shavings generated from such work. Also, some blocks have very little extra material inboard on the pickup boss; these blocks aren't good candidates for drilling oversize.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.