News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Electronic module connexion to coil

Started by EricS, July 09, 2021, 05:11:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EricS

Hi there
on my 66 I removed the coil and a few other parts to clean the engine ...
And of course made no pictures or notes as to how the coil was wired. It was so simple what can go wrong?
I only forgot that my memory sucks.

I have an electronic ignition of unknow manufacture
a condensator bolted on the coil's right feet
I am almost sure condensator was plugged on the right hand post of the coil.
From an old picture, I can only say that the black/yellow wire coming from the ignition module (bolted on car's fender) was plugged on the right hand post of the coil. So with the condensator!?
I am also almost sure I had 2 wires on each side.
That would mean that the live wire (12V) was on the left hand post, would also mean that this post was +
So condensator was then on -??
2nd wire on left hand post would then be a black/grey coming from the module.
What is further confusing is that I taped together the 2 wires I took off from left hand post of the coil but both of those are the wires that comes from the module and that needs to be plugged one on each post.

Maybe somebody here can tell me what brand module I have and knows from the wire colors were to plug them?

Nacho-RT74

on stock wiring ( sure your wiring got the ECU added since didn't exist by 66 )

16 gauge ( tipically ) black with yellow trace goes to - lead of coil. It comes from ECU

14 gauge wire ( tipically ) blue wire ( brown since 70 ) goes to + lead of coil. It comes from ballast side where the brown wire is spliced.

condenser goes to + lead of coil. Is a noise suppressor.

any other wire at - lead of coil is for tach

Rest of ECU wires are:
Blue with yellow trace, from Ign1 (RUN) circuit.
Green with red trace, from secondary resistor circuit. Not used if 4 pins ECU with single ballast
Gray with trace and  Brown with trace... dist plug
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

EricS

I was sure it is not original so wiring diagrams are useless here. Checked the files as previous owner kept everything but I guess this ignition was installed before his ownership (2011-2018) and I have no manual, no invoice, no clue...
From what I can remind, the Condensator was plugged on "-" Is it at all possible, would the car had worked with it on "-"
If yes then the - was on the right with condensator and black yellow and 12v on + on left hand side with the black/grey?!?!

EricS

OK I finally found out.
Live wire and condensator are on the + of the coil.
Other 2 wires coming from the ignition modules are on the -
The module has it's own 12V live feed so it do not require any connected to coil +
From module we have 2 wires going to distributor, 2 wires going to coil -, a wire coming with 12V and that's it
A single picture or quick sketch would have save hours. I knew it before, have to set up my mind so I can make a lot of pictures before any work...

Nacho-RT74

Coil - lead just get ONE wire coming from ECU. The other one dunno what could be, except if coming from cab, which would be the tach. No other wire should be between ECU and coil

I already explained on the previous reply
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

EricS

Yes you were right on previous message.
I also understood that this extra wire might be the tach wire. and the tach (RPM right?) is not working...