News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My Daytona clone project...

Started by KurtfromLaQuinta, January 26, 2021, 12:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KurtfromLaQuinta

I finally found some exhaust tips I liked after searching quite a while. I needed to get them so Barrett can build them to fit into the rear pan area...

KurtfromLaQuinta

Here is the almost completed drivers side rain gutter removal. Some tricky welding to eliminate those dudes...

KurtfromLaQuinta

I ordered my wheels after some diligent searching.
My problem is I need 18" on all four corners because of the brakes. All kinds of choices for 15". Plus they need to be 12" wide on the rear and 9" on the front.
Not a lot of choices. I did find what I wanted style wise over 2 years ago. But they discontinued them.
So I found a compromise at U.S. Mags... they should be close to what I wanted originally.  
I ordered them 6 weeks ago. They said 8 weeks. Soon.
I need to get them and the tires to check the fit on the front, inner fender wells. In case some trimming has to be done.

KurtfromLaQuinta

It's been a year last month I ordered my kit from Janick.
They've been having issues with their supply chain. They told me their wanting on some parts for the wing. And as soon as they get it they'll ship the kit to me.

I'm really tired of this supply chain issue.

KurtfromLaQuinta

:rotz: This web site is soooooo old fashioned. You can't delete post.
Or maybe it's me just being old, and I can't figure out how to delete.   :icon_smile_big:

KurtfromLaQuinta

426HemiChick

Hi Kurt,                 04 December 2022

Looks like you figured it out.

Project is looking great. One of these days I'd like to talk with you about a welder. I have been toying with buying a Miller Synchro Phase. I've had some work done with one and I loved the results. This is still down the road, have to finish the Knee Project first.

Best Always

Christine for the 426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

KurtfromLaQuinta

Quote from: 426HemiChick on December 04, 2022, 04:51:54 AM
Hi Kurt,                 04 December 2022

Looks like you figured it out.

Project is looking great. One of these days I'd like to talk with you about a welder. I have been toying with buying a Miller Synchro Phase. I've had some work done with one and I loved the results. This is still down the road, have to finish the Knee Project first.

Best Always

Thanks for the kind words.

I'm an apprentice welder. I can do some stuff for myself that needs to be done.
My son is the expert there. He's the one you need to talk to.

Knee project?
I can help you there. I've had both of mine replaced. If that's what's happening to you... I can give you an earful.

426HemiChick

Hi Kurt,                05 December 2022

Would love to talk knees with you. I need both replaced, doubt that they will do both at the same time. Both of mine are bone on bone and so worn that I have become drastically Knock Kneed. Didn't realize it until one day walking down the sidewalk with the sun to my back, I looked at my shadow and noticed the shadow of my legs looked like an "X". Got home and looked in the mirror and realized I had a serious problem. If I try to stand at attention like I used to do in the military, my knees touch and my feet are 6 inches apart.

I'm 9 days out from surgery, sometime the morning of 14 Dec 22.

I'll PM you with my info. Would love to talk with you and your son. When I was in high school, about 20 years ago . . . . or so, I took Metal shop which included welding. Loved doing it; my teacher was so proud of my welding that he hauled the stuff all over town showing it off. That was in the old days with a huge A/C motor driven D/C generator Welder. It was stick welding and did enjoy it. Now they have fancy computerized welders. My preference is TIG. I love the look of a good Tig weld. To me it's an art form I'd rather see than some painting hanging on a wall.

I'll PM you tonight. I'm busy getting ready for the first knee surgery. I have my pre-op the 9th and surgery 5 days later. Looking forward to getting a new set of Titanium hinges. If it's good enough for the SR71, it's good enough for me. Let me know a good time to call. We're on MST. I'd love to talk knees before the "Carpenters" start sawing away. I'm going to try and get them to let me watch the surgery, Doubt that they will.

I know I'll have long scars down the front of my legs from my thigh to my shin bone. Probably 12 inches long or longer that'll look like a railroad track. Good thing I prefer jeans and slacks, no shorts or, heaven forbid, skirts.

Thanks Amigo

Best Always

Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

KurtfromLaQuinta

My new wheels showed up today.

I was surprised they got here when U.S. Mags said they would.
It took exactly 8 weeks.
Now I need to get the tires ordered. Get them mounted. Make sure things fit... or modify wheel wells for fitment. 

426HemiChick

Hi Kurt,                10 December 2022

Those wheels are almost exactly like what we had on our Daytona when we were driving it. They came off our Hemi Cuda, which we had a great dislike for. It ended up with leftovers.

When we had the sloted wheels on the Daytona it looked "Bad Ass" and it stayed that way while we were storing it. Eventually the tires would no longer hold air. When we decided to sell her, we used the front slots but Discount Tire would not mount regular tires on the rear slots as they were too wide, think 9 or 10 inches. So we used a spare set of wheels and had the same tires as we put on the front put on the rear.

The ones we had I believe were Anson. What I didn't like about them was the fact they didn't use Acorn wheel nuts. We had to spend extra effort centering each wheel, a real pain.

When we put the cars back together, we want a set like you have there. When we are ready, we'll bug you for info on where to order them.

On the knee front, we went to my pre-surgical checkup Friday, got there about 45 minutes early, they took my X-Rays then we sat, and sat, until we were an hour and a half late; the PA finally showed up, wasn't exactly overjoyed as we had another appointment at 2:00 PM the same day.

Turns out the PA was an absolute asshole. When we got done we headed home for our other appointment, a plumbing job.

After we were almost home, the the plumber was already there just as were were coming down the street. He was 30 min early, did a fantastic job and was on his way in an hour 30. We had new toilets installed in the two houses. They are the High Seat models, 19" bowl height. Easy on, easy off; they are ADA compliant. No longer have to sit there with my knees hitting my chin. Definitely not for folks with short legs.

After that chore was done I told Dena there was no way I was going to have the surgery by the folks where the asshole PA worked. He wouldn't answer my questions but expected me to answer his mundane BS questions. My surgery is planned for 1500 MST / 3:00 PM Wednesday 14 Dec. As soon as Monday rolls around I am cancelling all my appointments with them. I've come to the conclusion they're an Assembly Line operation. I'm going to write a post about the whole ordeal on my regular thread. We have yet to meet the doctor, get to do that just before the surgery. No way.

Anyway, I'll be off to find a new doctor for my knees next week. There's no way I'd trust those folks with my health and life.

Your Daytona is going to be one Bad Ass machine. Hope you get it finished soon. I'm sure you are anxious to get it done.

Take Care Kurt, thanks a bunch.

426 Hemi Chicks

KurtfromLaQuinta

Quote from: 426HemiChick on December 10, 2022, 08:10:36 PM
Hi Kurt,                10 December 2022

Those wheels are almost exactly like what we had on our Daytona when we were driving it. They came off our Hemi Cuda, which we had a great dislike for. It ended up with leftovers.

When we had the sloted wheels on the Daytona it looked "Bad Ass" and it stayed that way while we were storing it. Eventually the tires would no longer hold air. When we decided to sell her, we used the front slots but Discount Tire would not mount regular tires on the rear slots as they were too wide, think 9 or 10 inches. So we used a spare set of wheels and had the same tires as we put on the front put on the rear.

The ones we had I believe were Anson. What I didn't like about them was the fact they didn't use Acorn wheel nuts. We had to spend extra effort centering each wheel, a real pain.

When we put the cars back together, we want a set like you have there. When we are ready, we'll bug you for info on where to order them.

On the knee front, we went to my pre-surgical checkup Friday, got there about 45 minutes early, they took my X-Rays then we sat, and sat, until we were an hour and a half late; the PA finally showed up, wasn't exactly overjoyed as we had another appointment at 2:00 PM the same day.

Turns out the PA was an absolute asshole. When we got done we headed home for our other appointment, a plumbing job.

After we were almost home, the the plumber was already there just as were were coming down the street. He was 30 min early, did a fantastic job and was on his way in an hour 30. We had new toilets installed in the two houses. They are the High Seat models, 19" bowl height. Easy on, easy off; they are ADA compliant. No longer have to sit there with my knees hitting my chin. Definitely not for folks with short legs.

After that chore was done I told Dena there was no way I was going to have the surgery by the folks where the asshole PA worked. He wouldn't answer my questions but expected me to answer his mundane BS questions. My surgery is planned for 1500 MST / 3:00 PM Wednesday 14 Dec. As soon as Monday rolls around I am cancelling all my appointments with them. I've come to the conclusion they're an Assembly Line operation. I'm going to write a post about the whole ordeal on my regular thread. We have yet to meet the doctor, get to do that just before the surgery. No way.

Anyway, I'll be off to find a new doctor for my knees next week. There's no way I'd trust those folks with my health and life.

Your Daytona is going to be one Bad Ass machine. Hope you get it finished soon. I'm sure you are anxious to get it done.

Take Care Kurt, thanks a bunch.

426 Hemi Chicks
I'm sorry for the ordeal your going through with the knee. It's good you figured out the problem before they put you on the table.
At least the toilets worked out. And I hope you can find a good doctor. You'd think being in the area where you are there would be one good orthopedic surgeon around. Instead of the Earl Schieb https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earl_Scheib of knee replacements. Sheesh.

The wheels look like they are put together real nice. I'll test them to 240 and see how they work.  :icon_smile_big:
They're 9" wide in the front and 12" wide for the rear.
I'm trying for Goodyear Supercars for the round black things.

426HemiChick

Quote from: KurtfromLaQuinta on December 10, 2022, 11:28:32 PM
I'm sorry for the ordeal your going through with the knee. It's good you figured out the problem before they put you on the table.
At least the toilets worked out. And I hope you can find a good doctor. You'd think being in the area where you are there would be one good orthopedic surgeon around. Instead of the Earl Schieb https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earl_Scheib of knee replacements. Sheesh.

The wheels look like they are put together real nice. I'll test them to 240 and see how they work.  :icon_smile_big:

Hi Kurt,                10 December 2022

The PA was as arrogant as we have encountered in many years. He's a transplant from some third world country, another reason I was wary. He came on too strong, like he's going to intimidate me. All he did was give me the ammunition I needed to bail. I am going to try and find who heads up the organization so I can have a chat with him/her.

Dena's brother-in-law had both replaced the same day about a year ago. Going to ask him who he had do it and see if I can get an appointment with him right after Christmas.

Are you planning on hitting the salt with your Daytona? 240 would be a nice number and I'm sure you will make it. How much more work needs to be done before she can hit the road? We'd like to be there the day you take her out for the first time. Don't think you are too far from Phoenix, maybe 350 miles or so; an afternoon's drive.

You're lighting a fire under our buns to get our stuff together and go have some fun with it while we can still enjoy doing so.

Take Care, Thanks, God Bless, Wishing You, Your Family, Pets and Friends a Very Blessed, Happy Christmas and New Year !!!

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

NHCharger

Like the old school look of those wheels.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

426HemiChick

Quote from: NHCharger on December 11, 2022, 04:18:37 PM

Hi NHCharger,                 11 December 2022

We agree, there's just something really cool about those slots. They aren't cluttered with useless do-dads, look strong and very muscular. Kurt's Daytona is going to be Bad-Ass as Bad-Ass can be.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

KurtfromLaQuinta

Quote from: 426HemiChick on December 11, 2022, 01:01:52 AM
Quote from: KurtfromLaQuinta on December 10, 2022, 11:28:32 PM

Hi Kurt,                10 December 2022

The PA was as arrogant as we have encountered in many years. He's a transplant from some third world country, another reason I was wary. He came on too strong, like he's going to intimidate me. All he did was give me the ammunition I needed to bail. I am going to try and find who heads up the organization so I can have a chat with him/her.

Dena's brother-in-law had both replaced the same day about a year ago. Going to ask him who he had do it and see if I can get an appointment with him right after Christmas.

Are you planning on hitting the salt with your Daytona? 240 would be a nice number and I'm sure you will make it. How much more work needs to be done before she can hit the road? We'd like to be there the day you take her out for the first time. Don't think you are too far from Phoenix, maybe 350 miles or so; an afternoon's drive.

You're lighting a fire under our buns to get our stuff together and go have some fun with it while we can still enjoy doing so.

Take Care, Thanks, God Bless, Wishing You, Your Family, Pets and Friends a Very Blessed, Happy Christmas and New Year !!!

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks
Hang in there with the knee issues. You'll get it figured out.
I noticed you mentioned an issue with scars. Everyone I've seen, including me, scars are very minimal. Really just a fine line... maybe 6" long. A "three footer". Three feet away and you don't even see them.

Bonneville would be the goal. If it is still open. 240 is another "goal".  The biggest goal is getting it finished. I know a lot of people who don't even get that goal finished. I don't want to be one of them.
Once my son gets the heavy metal done... it's off to my body guy. The body guy is anxious to do a Daytona (clone). So I'm hoping he moves quickly. I'll need to keep up with doo- dads and keeping the supply chain of the parts I need. Trying to think ahead. Things like the engine / trans/  seats/ wiring/ switches/ stereo...   No time frame... other than just keeping the project moving. Once the body guy is done... I'll bring it back to my house and do all the final stuff.

I'm glad I inspired you two. Don't blame me on how much money you spend though.  :icon_smile_big:

Yep. We live 5 miles from I-10. Your freeway too.  We've been or driven though Phoenix many times.
You also have a good, healthy new year.

KurtfromLaQuinta

Quote from: NHCharger on December 11, 2022, 04:18:37 PM
They weren't my first choice. I really wanted "holes". What are used on current and past NASCAR cars.
I talked with Bassett and Bart. They have the look I really wanted. And they were cheap. They only produced sizes up to 15". They did say they might build bigger diameters soon.
U.S. Mags offered that type called the Baja. They were offered in many sizes like this "Indy" style I got. BUT they discontinued them just before I was ready to order.
These pills I got, weren't what you would call cheap. They build them to order. You know what that means...
And according to pictures I've seen in the past, they ran this style of wheel in NASCAR before.
Look at my "Daytona collection" for proof...

KurtfromLaQuinta

Barrett's been chipping away at the rust spots and the passenger side rain gutter some more...

hemi-hampton

looks like your bare metal is getting rusty. :scratchchin:

426HemiChick

Quote from: hemi-hampton on December 13, 2022, 11:12:37 PM

Hi LEON,                 13 December 2022

That's not rust, that's the patina that results from one's herculean efforts in building their Dream Daytona.

Looking good Kurt.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

426HemiChick

Hi Kurt,                14 December 2022

Have a new Doc, will see him on the 21st. Probably only set back a couple weeks. If I had stayed with the original who knows what would have happened. I'm away from the jerk and that's what matters.

One of the questions I asked the PA was what you suggested: What choice in knees can I have? Ans: None !

Probably nothing on the surgery side until January.

Your work is looking good, hope we can get out there to see its first run.

Thanks for the suggestions. His answers said more than he realized. I'm hoping they fire him.

Best Always

Dena and Christine

tan top

Quote from: KurtfromLaQuinta on December 10, 2022, 04:41:33 PM

It took exactly 8 weeks.
Now I need to get the tires ordered. Get them mounted. Make sure things fit... or modify wheel wells for fitment. 

nice wheels   :coolgleamA: :2thumbs:
Quote from: KurtfromLaQuinta on December 13, 2022, 10:19:43 PM
Barrett's been chipping away at the rust spots and the passenger side rain gutter some more...

:yesnod: :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

KurtfromLaQuinta

Quote from: hemi-hampton on December 13, 2022, 11:12:37 PM
Well, that wouldn't have happened if Barrett's water hose right outside of his roll up door didn't blow up one day 6 months ago. Sheesh.
Very light surface rust. We figured why primer when all they do is sand it all off before body work. Now a light sanding of the surface rust well be needed.  :shruggy:
Here in this desert things don't rust normally. Normally.

KurtfromLaQuinta

Quote from: 426HemiChick on December 14, 2022, 09:59:49 PM
Hi Kurt,                14 December 2022

Have a new Doc, will see him on the 21st. Probably only set back a couple weeks. If I had stayed with the original who knows what would have happened. I'm away from the jerk and that's what matters.

One of the questions I asked the PA was what you suggested: What choice in knees can I have? Ans: None !

Probably nothing on the surgery side until January.

Your work is looking good, hope we can get out there to see its first run.

Thanks for the suggestions. His answers said more than he realized. I'm hoping they fire him.

Best Always

Dena and Christine
You have to watch the knee they install in you.
It's surprisingly how much payola is going on in the medical field. The doctors/ hospitals are paid to push a product. Beware!
Ask for Zimmer Persona! They have the tough stuff that last.
Watch out for the gimmicks.

KurtfromLaQuinta

Quote from: tan top on December 15, 2022, 07:25:44 AM
Quote from: KurtfromLaQuinta on December 10, 2022, 04:41:33 PM

It took exactly 8 weeks.

nice wheels  :coolgleamA: :2thumbs:
Quote from: KurtfromLaQuinta on December 13, 2022, 10:19:43 PM

:yesnod: :popcrn:
I really wanted "the holes". Nobody offered those in the sizes I needed.
I saw a picture of someones clone project that had "the holes"... in 15". They were some current "truck wheels". They looked exactly what I wanted... very aggressive... no 18".