News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Tuning Mopar 440

Started by 69dodge383, February 27, 2021, 02:22:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69dodge383

Hey guys its been a while since I have posted...
Starting to work on my charger again
after being a way for a while.
For some reason my balancer doesn't read correct.
We built this motor about 8 years ago and I have ran it on the street some and the timing was too retarded because the engine would backfire through the exhaust when driving. After storing the car for a while I am working on it again. I want to get the timing set right. Like I said though the numbers on the balancer seem to be off when looking at it with a timing light. I have hooked up a vacuum gauge to tune with it and wonder does anyone know what my vacuum reading should be at idle? My engine and cam specs are below in my profile description. Running 93 octane and timing is locked out. Can anyone tell me what the vacuum gauge should read to get this engine dialed in perfect?

Thank you
The way I bought it
1969 Dodge Charger SE
383 Magnum
3.23 open 8 3/4 - 489
PS/MB

The way it is
1969 Dodge Charger "The Duke"
440HP '72
10.5:1 Mopar Pistons @.030 (446 c.i.)
Edelbrock Performer Heads
Hughes Solid Lifter Cam 278/283 245/250 .597. 613 108
7Qt Oil Pan
Victor Intake
Demon 850 Carb
TTI Headers 2" Primaries
727 Manual Valve Body
9" Dynamic Converter
4.10 Sure Grip 8 3/4 - 489
3" Dual Super 44
Coys 18x9 20x10.5  Cragar 15x8 15x10

flyinlow

After reading your list of parts , I wonder if you have a MSD ignition box?  They can make some timing lights not work correctly?

Balancers outer ring can slide on the hub making the timing mark inaccurate. not common.

I will include the vacuum reading to set idle timing, speed and mixture.  I cannot use it  to dial in max centrifugal advance because at wide open throttle there is almost no vacuum.

Your distributor is locked out so I not sure if this will help.

Base timing 10-25* BTDC. I would think your engine would like toward the top of that range.  Total mechanical advance (base + centrifugal)  of About 36* at 3000rpm. This is Ballpark number ,varies by

build and transmission. Add to that any vacuum advance you chose to use. To dial in best performance you need a drag strip, or a dyno or at least a good stopwatch.

c00nhunterjoe

Why do the balancer numbers seem off?
If the dist is locked, what was the timing set at when it was backfiring and what is it at now?

Before going any further, verify manually the marks on the balancer.