News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Removing wheel studs from Left rear wheel

Started by john108, October 29, 2021, 05:45:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

john108

1968 Dodge Charger R/T.
Is it difficult to remove the 5 left rear wheel studs (Left Handed Threads)?  I think I know a process but not sure if I can do it without damaging something or getting stuck in the middle.  Any special tools?  What advice can you offer.
Thank You
John

Kern Dog

Smack them with a HAMMER.
They are knurled/splined where they interface with the axle flange. Some heat will help, as will a quality penetrating solvent like PB blaster. Getting the new ones in will be more difficult. I've had success pulling them through using lug nuts and an impact wrench. The more expensive and troublesome method is to remove the axle and press them in.

John_Kunkel

Of course, you'll want the thread a nut on the stud before whacking it with a BFH.  :yesnod:
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

john108

Thank you both. I was thinking about that approach but being I am not to good with the BFH, I was thinking of putting a socket in the back, nut in front, and a "C" clamp across them.
But I don't know if they would fit or capability of getting enough load with the "C" clamp.  I do use PB blaster on everything.

green69rt

Quote from: John_Kunkel on October 30, 2021, 02:11:33 PM
Of course, you'll want the thread a nut on the stud before whacking it with a BFH.  :yesnod:

Put several nuts on the stud before grabbing the hammer.  The hammer will probably make the end of the stud mushroom out and the several nuts will give you more chances to restore the threads.

70 sublime

Think he is taking out left hand thread lugs to never use them again so he can put right hand in
Just use the BFH
A C clamp will not push hard enough
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

AKcharger

Might be money well spent to let a machine shop do removal and install of studs, especially if its a 8 3/4 rear, axles super easy to remove