News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 Charger tailpanel height needed

Started by mopar4don, December 24, 2021, 02:22:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mopar4don

I think my tail panel may be out of position as the bumper bracket holes don't line up. If I could get a dimension along the trunk lock support, from the floor to the high point of the tail panel that would help! I am getting 13-1/4
Thanks and MERRY CHRISTMAS

mopar4don

I sure could use this dimension.
I understand that some cars may have taillight covers. (it would need to come off) And I don't expect anyone to take there car apart.
I was hoping someone that had a charger in restoration might be able to get me this dimension.

Remember it is from the high point of the tail panel (like in my pics) down to the flat level of the trunk pan.

kent

Don I could get you a picture of mine but it might be out 1/16 " When I installed my floor I left that lip that on the back of the trunk floor just below the lights and trunk latch support.  So I didn't bother to reply incase my dimensions were too far out and give you a false answer right?
Did you get the answer over at FBBO? I seen that some guys posted some pics also so I thought you were cherry. Let me know and I could snap a shot like yours with my dimensions.
Kent

mopar4don

Quote from: kent on December 28, 2021, 06:03:13 PM
Don I could get you a picture of mine but it might be out 1/16 " When I installed my floor I left that lip that on the back of the trunk floor just below the lights and trunk latch support.  So I didn't bother to reply incase my dimensions were too far out and give you a false answer right?
Did you get the answer over at FBBO? I seen that some guys posted some pics also so I thought you were cherry. Let me know and I could snap a shot like yours with my dimensions.

Hi Kent, Yes if you don't mind getting me that dimension I would appreciate it.  :2thumbs:
I have got 3 people on FBBO to respond and they are all at 13-3/4

And WOW nice color! Is that T7?

kent

Thanks  FK 5   Burnt Orange

Here you go. The first one is on the drivers side right besides the latch support. just a shade under 13 1/2"

The second one is from the outside of the trunk and it looks like 13 1/4"But I swear the tape was in the same spot? :shruggy: Might be the angle I was taking the picture from.

The third one is a big picture to show you where I was holding my tape. Hope these help Don.

Kent

kent

WOW!  I didn't think those picture were that big :shruggy:  I'm surprised the biggest one posted. Oh well I should of said real big big pictures! lol
Let me know If they are good. Hard to hold tape and not scratch anything and take a picture. 10-4?

I think your measurement of 13 1/4 will do nicely. They weren't all made the same right? Meaning a bit of variance between cars. From one built in August or January. Different shifts, different workers.

Heck on my car the floor on the drivers side had seam sealer the passengers side had none. The seam between the front floor pan and the rear floor pan. Go figure.
Kent

mopar4don

Great pics Kent, Thankyou!
Can you tell me if your tailpanel, rear valence, and trunk pan are original or if you've replaced any of it? And have you fit the bumper and bumperettes?

kent

Trunk pan replaced. Rear valance, rear taillight panel original. Yes dry fitted everything before paint. Gas tank / filler pipe /vent everything before paint. Yes bumper and bumperettes also. But I never changed or touched any of that right. I was more concerned with the fitment of the tank and filler pipe.
The only sheet metal I replaced was the trunk pan and the drivers side trunk extension. The car was from Kansas and has only 23000 miles on her. That dam trunk seal leaked. The primer side of the trunk floor was just like new. That nice grey colour. I was lucky to find such a car.

I'll see if I can find some picture of the trunk floor before welding the latch support in and bumper brackets. I do remember we had no problems lining those pieces up. They fit in there perfectly. Just ran the original bolts to secure the bumper trunk brackets to the tail panel.
Kent

mopar4don

I just have to figure out how to fix this. As I see it I have two options.

(A) drill out all the plug welds along the valance then move the entire rear tail panel, valance and quarters up that 1/2.(The quarters have already been welded along the trunk gutters but are loose along the dropoffs and wheel wells ) I really don't want to do this but... maybe easier

(B) live with my mistake and do whatever it takes to fix the other issues including:

1. elongate the holes in the bumper support 
      2. bend the bumperetts so they will bolt up. But the bumperetts are contacting the lower valance so that might be a chore.
      3. The trunk lock support has not been welded in and it would have to be modified to fit better.
      4. And not sure that the bumper would look right.

kent

So sorry to hear that Don :rotz: I don't know what to say. I think I would do it over again. I know you don't want to hear that but do you want to go bending and drilling extra holes. Your car. Your call. But not a better time to do it. One thing about it now that you have it torn down like that would it really take that much more time to make it right eh. Sorry. Don't want to piss you off. Just saying.
I seen in one of your pictures the trunk latch support looked in place. That was one of the last things we did. But you did a lot more work than me.
Been trying Don to post those unfinished pictures. Having a bugger of a time. Keep saying I already posted the pics!!! :brickwall:

Kent

mopar4don

Thanks Kent, I think you are right, I need to cut it loose and make it right.
I will update my thread when I get to it. Thanks for your help! :2thumbs:

kent

I edited my post check it out Don. Don't know if these will help you out or not. Might be irrelevant.
Kent

mopar4don

Looks great Kent, not looking forward to redoing it! I just hope I'm not forgetting anything that would prevent me from moving it up.

kent

It's nothing we all haven't done. Frustrating yes. Undoable? Hell no! I can't count the times I had to do crap over to make it right. Comes with age. If we were all perfect we certainly wouldn't be working on these old cars. We would be counting our money!  :smilielol:
Kent

mopar4don

The age thing does factor in. And never having to do this may have a little to do with it to!

mopar4don

Any chance someone could get another dimension?
From tail panel edge down to center of bolt hole. (just like in my pic)
This is the mess I replaced. Looks like 10-3/4

kent

Just getting ready to head off to work Don. But I went out to take a measurement for you. Yours looks good. Mine with out getting too in depth is about 10 1/2 to 10 3/4.  Just like yours. That picture looks like the original panel??
Kent

mopar4don

Quote from: kent on December 29, 2021, 04:08:29 PM
Just getting ready to head off to work Don. But I went out to take a measurement for you. Yours looks good. Mine with out getting too in depth is about 10 1/2 to 10 3/4.  Just like yours. That picture looks like the original panel??

Yes kent original panel, I was looking through old pics this was at the beginning back in 2013. Thank you so much.

Anyone else have a dimension? I suppose you could measure inside the trunk for those that have there bumper mounted?