News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What about the new 500 HP 6 cyl. engine?

Started by b5blue, June 04, 2022, 10:29:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

b5blue

Kern Dog

No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no.
No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no.

JB400

Kern Dog

If you had a Charger, you'd feel differently.  :hah:

b5blue

Why no? Save 400LBS+500HP=Haul butt.  :scratchchin: Or is it just you wanna say Hemi?  :shruggy:

LaOtto70Charger

Does sound interesting. Wonder how much room it saves.

JB400

Kern Dog

It is a straight six.
You guys liked how the slant six sounded? Nothing beats the sound of a V8 with 2 cylinders firing every 90 degrees.
The power level is great. If all you care about is the power, good for you. There will always be someone faster but that V8 sound can be sweet even if the other guy wins the race.
The Viper V10 sounded like Taco Bell ass too.

JB400

Jeep built a pretty solid reputation with the 4.0.  Bmw has done pretty well with their turbo 6's in the M series cars. I'm not going to rip on Stellantis if they're willing to try these. Hope it's a good reliable engine

Kern Dog

I'm happy to see a new gasoline engine rather than them fully swallowing the electric car scam.
I'm not happy to see the Hemi go away though.

dreamcatcher

Quote from: Kern Dog on June 05, 2022, 12:26:17 AM
It is a straight six.
You guys liked how the slant six sounded? Nothing beats the sound of a V8 with 2 cylinders firing every 90 degrees.
The power level is great. If all you care about is the power, good for you. There will always be someone faster but that V8 sound can be sweet even if the other guy wins the race.
Totally agree NO! I put my 5.7 in my 68 charger and about puked  :icon_smile_tongue: I took it back out and put in an old V8. Nothing wrong with the new modern stuff but it don't look or sound right in an old Mopar. Going to try the 5.7 in my 72 but only after I change out the intake so it dont look ...well like it does  :hah: .
Kind of like roadkill guys put a supra engine in the death metal charger and although it halls it looks terrible and sounds worse. Even in that old POS. About made me stop watching them.  :RantExplode:
1970 Superbird Tribute 440 auto
1968 Charger 426 6 pack auto
1971 Chevelle SS Tribute 350 4 speed
1970 Mustang 351 C 4 speed
1969 GTO 400 Ram air III 4 speed
1972 Charger (soon 5.7 hemi auto)
1973 Charger 440 auto (U code)
If you've never been scared (even a little) then you've never gone as fast as you could have!

Kern Dog

Yeah.....that Japanese engine swap was terrible.
Again, if power is the goal and the only criteria for someone, the options are wide open.
I just don't see the appeal of anything other than a V8. A 3G Hemi can sound great depending on the induction and exhaust. My 2007 Ram 1500 sounds pretty good to me compared to when I bought it....just a cold air intake and a Flowmaster muffler. That rumble is so nice to hear as opposed to the near silence of the stock arrangement.
To me, very few engines sound as good as a traditional V8. Ford did hit a home run with their "Flat Plane Crank" engines though. 4 cylinders fire at a time due to a 180 degree crankshaft. Very lightweight crank when you don't have heavy counterweights every 90 degrees. Those cars sound amazing.

b5blue

Nothing wrong with 6's. I put over 250K on one wagon and sold it on to a single mom for 400.00. She put another 70K on it before we lost touch. All it ever wanted was #6 plug cleaned or replaced.
This new 6 was being developed as an electric hybrid so it's potential has longer legs than any V8. I got a buddy who pulled many a muscle car (Including 12 Chargers I know of.) with a /6 pickup up and down the USA. If I won the Lottery I'd electrify my 70 in a heartbeat. See my Charger is never for sale because it's being handed down. I've challenged my offspring and their offspring to keep driving the Charger. 

dreamcatcher

Nope nothing wrong with any of it. To each their own. I just found out I prefer my old Mopars OLD like me  :hah: I cant get into the newer stuff it just don't fit. But that's me.
1970 Superbird Tribute 440 auto
1968 Charger 426 6 pack auto
1971 Chevelle SS Tribute 350 4 speed
1970 Mustang 351 C 4 speed
1969 GTO 400 Ram air III 4 speed
1972 Charger (soon 5.7 hemi auto)
1973 Charger 440 auto (U code)
If you've never been scared (even a little) then you've never gone as fast as you could have!

b5blue

472 R/T SE

Quote from: Kern Dog on June 05, 2022, 12:26:17 AM

Whilst I had to have a Viper and "settled" for my srt10 Ram, I still hate the sound of it, lol.

Mine was the exes since we purchased in '08.  I got it in the divorce.  My dog still thinks ex is coming home when she hears a fart pipe exhaust.

lloyd3

All the reasons for why I never changed anything in my old car over the 26-years I've owned it (no "upgrades" or "improvements"). For me, it must look and sound a certain way or it simply isn't right, & isn't correct. If something needed to be addressed, I then found the most-original component I could (if not NOS), to either replace it or repair it. It's not a "time machine" if it isn't an accurate representation of that specific time. Again, it's the whole experience....the sights, sounds, and even smells (the "ker-chunk" of an 8-track shifting tracks, the whine of a synchronizer, real oil being cooked by a slow valve cover leak, vinyl & carpet being slowly aged by the sun, residual Turtle-wax, Windex & Armor-all odors, gas fumes, a slight whiff of coolant, a hard-run clutch, tire smoke, etc.). Leaded gas being burned used to have a smell all it's own too (I actually miss that one).

Kern Dog

Back in 2013 or 2014 I used some Sunoco 110 octane leaded gas. The smell from the exhaust was like a visit back to 1975!

Mickey-426

tcs69rt

Quote from: lloyd3 on July 14, 2022, 09:43:20 AM
All the reasons for why I never changed anything in my old car over the 26-years I've owned it (no "upgrades" or "improvements"). For me, it must look and sound a certain way or it simply isn't right, & isn't correct. If something needed to be addressed, I then found the most-original component I could (if not NOS), to either replace it or repair it. It's not a "time machine" if it isn't an accurate representation of that specific time. Again, it's the whole experience....the sights, sounds, and even smells (the "ker-chunk" of an 8-track shifting tracks, the whine of a synchronizer, real oil being cooked by a slow valve cover leak, vinyl & carpet being slowly aged by the sun, residual Turtle-wax, Windex & Armor-all odors, gas fumes, a slight whiff of coolant, a hard-run clutch, tire smoke, etc.). Leaded gas being burned used to have a smell all it's own too (I actually miss that one).

:cheers: :2thumbs:

Cringe every time someone asks why I don't put a Hellcat motor in it? My usual reply is something like...get back in your Civic and leave me alone.  ;D
"Life ain't easy when you rode the short bus."

1970Moparmann

Wonder if that is why they discontinued the EcoDiesel. :scratchchin:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

funknut

I wonder what cars they'll be in, they run lots of boost for a stock engine and require/recommend premium fuel.

"The Hurricane's turbochargers are optimized for each version. The turbos on the Hurricane SO deliver peak boost of 22 psi, while the Hurricane HO turbos deliver 26 psi of peak boost."

"Helping the Hurricane HO deliver its enhanced performance are lightweight, oil-jet cooled, forged aluminum pistons with an anodized top ring land and a diamond-like coating (DLC) on the pins to minimize friction. The Hurricane HO runs with a 9.5:1 compression ratio and uses 91 octane premium fuel.

"With a focus on fuel economy, the Hurricane SO uses cast aluminum pistons with cast iron top ring land insert, running with a 10.4:1 compression ratio. It's use of cooled EGR helps reduce engine pumping losses and manage in-cylinder temperatures. Premium fuel is recommended."

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,               02 November 2022

Going to make a prediction: This EV BS is going to come back and bite US in the Ass when there won't be enough electricity to run this country, let alone recharge your cars.

Where is all the lithium going to come from; China? I suppose, everything else does.

Who is going to recycle the millions of tons of dead lithium cells; China I suppose.

Who is going to run this country; China I suppose.

We're in deep shit.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court