News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Superbird Clone Registry

Started by dreamcatcher, June 13, 2022, 05:03:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dreamcatcher

I wonder if anyone has thought of a Clone or tribute registry? I mean we put a lot of time and money into building them. And I often wonder just how many are out there and the story behind why they became Superbirds or Daytona's.  Mine was a 70 Plymouth Satellite Sport. I just wanted to see how close I could come to making it like the original. I put as much original parts as I could find and spent about 55K 13 years ago. I have never regretted doing it. Might not be anything special and not tracking original cars. But I know that all of them mean something to those who went through the pains of building them. Just a thought. :icon_smile_wink: 
1970 Superbird Tribute 440 auto
1968 Charger 426 6 pack auto
1971 Chevelle SS Tribute 350 4 speed
1970 Mustang 351 C 4 speed
1969 GTO 400 Ram air III 4 speed
1972 Charger (soon 5.7 hemi auto)
1973 Charger 440 auto (U code)
If you've never been scared (even a little) then you've never gone as fast as you could have!

Homerr

I'm open to it, but would widen it to all Mopar aero cars.

Would be a good way to separate the originals from the clones, which is one of several reasons for the registries.

dreamcatcher

Exactly ! It isn't like we are trying to make our cars what there not. But aero cars are a different class either way. Anyone who has built one knows just how had it is to do. It isn't like making a clone by changing badging or engine packages. Anyway just a thought. I always wondered how many wing cars have been built that are not real factory cars. :shruggy:
If you've never been scared (even a little) then you've never gone as fast as you could have!

panhead

Quote from: Homerr on June 13, 2022, 05:16:42 PM
I'm open to it, but would widen it to all Mopar aero cars.

Would be a good way to separate the originals from the clones, which is one of several reasons for the registries.

I would be open to a registry like that.

Curt
69' Dodge Charger 500
69' Dodge Daytona "Replica"

dreamcatcher

Well I don't know anything about a registry but I would be open to help in anyway I can. I think it is a good idea and brings interest to our hobby.   

Homerr

You sound like a moderator for the registry!

winghawg

I also would be open to that.I've got a lot of time and money in this project. Pass along all I know.this is my 4th Daytona build and probably the nicest

dreamcatcher

Quote from: Homerr on June 13, 2022, 08:37:31 PM
You sound like a moderator for the registry!
I would need much guidance  :rotz: but I am always open for a new experience. And I do think it has merit.

aerolith

Great idea and then we can keep track of cars and prices etc.

Will you be adding Hoovies Superbird lol?
I have tried to get him into a trade for my REAL C500, but he likes the infamous 'orange rebody' clone TOO much now...

I can't see folks getting into building 'Aero Clones' in the current climate, but we would love to know where they are and what they is worth?
Never send to know, for whom the bell tolls,
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

Homerr

A few thoughts on this, but I need some help filling in the gaps.

I can do a spreadsheet with tabs for Charger 500, Daytona, Superbird.

Under each tab I will need columns for the data.  What columns do you want to see? (obviously wing/nose not apply to 500)

Here's my first take on info to show:

Original VIN
Current VIN (maybe for some states that reassign for ambiguous cars?)
Engine
Transmission
Axle
Exterior color
Interior color
Nose cone (i.e., an original, aftermarket manufacturer, scratch built metal, scratch built fiberglass)
Headlight operation (vacuum, electric, non-functional, fixed)
Fenders (original, modified 1968/1969/1970)
Fender scoops (original, aftermarket manuf., missing)
Hood (original, modified 1968/1969/1970)
A pillar (original, aftermarket manuf., missing)
Rear window plug (original, aftermarket manuf., scratch built, missing)
Rear window glass (original, Vega, missing)
Wing (original, original SB (if on a Daytona), original Daytona (if on SB), aftermarket manug, scratch built metal, scratch built f/g)
Conversion start date +/-
Conversion finish date +/- (or ongoing)
Fate (driver, unlicensed, completed but now non-running, destroyed, wrecked)
State or country
Notes (added options or misc)
Build thread (at dc.com or other)

Link to pictures

Is this the kind of stuff to put on the registry?  Let me know!

dreamcatcher

I like it. It covers a lot of things that may or may not be different. It also gives those wanting to build different people to contact for information on different places to get parts or how to convert parts.  :2thumbs: Back when I did mine Ted Janak was about all that was out there. And you had to find 70 coronet fenders and hood to modify. Now there are a lot of other options. One part that took the longest for me was those park/blinker lights. They had to come from a 70 fury. Anyway very nice start.

70 sublime

I am still gathering a few more parts for my Daytona clone

I think the thing I would be most interested in keeping track of is not on your list

Selling prices ?
Not many cars out there but it would be nice to know if it was a public type sale what the cars are changing hands for like on ebay or BAT
If I was to sell my car it is no one busness but mine and the buyer how much it sold for and sure others feel the same way
Maybe have a price list option but more like 20 to 40 40 to 60 60 to 80 80 to 100 ....... type of thing ?

Just a thought
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

moparstuart

would love  to see a topless category   
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Homerr

70 sublime,  a sale link or listing/price could be in the links/notes.  How about an 'Owner's $ estimate' column?  Could be optional, but give a sense of what is into the build.