News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1968 charger 4speed crossmember question??

Started by javakmcharger68, May 27, 2006, 07:58:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

javakmcharger68

Skipping through the ebay ads when I came accross someone stating this;

1968-1969 B Body 4 speed or automatic transmission crossmember complete with transmission mount.  Most sellers won't mention for a 4 speed application the portion that now holds the mount needs to be cut off and the center of the top cut out and the mount bolted to the hole that is already pre drilled for it in the bottom.  This crossmember was soda blasted and painted black.

It showed a picture of the crossmember I have been using in my charger with the 4 speed. I was wondering if what he says is right. I have no driveshaft or engine placed in the car yet, so I assumed everything was O.K with the mounting place. Any help would be great.

The picture attached is of my crossmember, but it is the same as the picture in the ad. Thanks

John_Kunkel

The ad is wrong, prior to '70 the automatic and 3-speed standard used a different crossmember than the 4-speed, in '70 they all used the same crossmember. Prior to '70 the automatic/3-speed mount sat in a box welded to the front of the crossmember while the 4-speed mount sat in the middle of the crossmember. In '70 the mount pad on the 4-speed tailhousing was moved forward so both the automatic and the 4-speed mount sat in a box.

If the pic above is of a '68 car, the trans is '70 or later.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

javakmcharger68

Your right on the money about the year  John_Kunkel . The trans is out of a 71 charger. I am wondering about driveshaft problems also. Having the 71 trans mounted in a 68 become a problem with driveshaft lenth. Do I have to get a driveshaft  made up, or are they a junkyard find?

javakmcharger68

I assume that a aftermarket driveshaft will have to be made up for this to work. Thanks

tecmopar

It shouldn't, the trannys are the same lenght.

Troy

I have pictures of the different trans crossmembers. If I can't find them I'll take a few new ones later today.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.