News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'73 Charger headlight issues...

Started by Lyon, May 27, 2006, 06:55:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lyon

I bought my '73 Charger  a few months ago. It was, and is, in perfet working condition except the blasted headlights. I've replaced the dimmer switch (which was bad), but still no luck.  After some jiggling of wires I actually got the headlights working! but then after some bumpy roads they're out again. WTF! :-\

All of the other lights are good, front AND back. Only headlights are out. I've checked for a loose ground, the one by the battery tray, but it seems super solid. I've done the same wire jiggling as before but can't find a good connection. any suggestions???

Lyon

71440charger

there is a ground right in front of the battery tray check that and then check the head lights and the plugs to see if they are worn out it that dont work check the wire continuty
The Killer Cam

Lyon

Alright... so I finally got to look into the problem again. The ground was good, and the headlight connections were good
so I started to check continuity. My brother and I narrowed it down to the wires between the dimmer switch and headlight switch.
I took out the plastic wall thing by the driver's left foot to reveal the wires and FOUND THIS!!!

The green, power?, was completly severed, and the purple and red (low and high beams) were hanging on for dear life,
all tangled around each other in an electric orgy. I'm surprised my insulation didn't catch on fire everytime I tried the headlights.

Anyways, I cleaned it all up and the headlights are good as new... now maybe I'll have to do the upgrade
(http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,168.0.html) to make these puppies brighter. ;)

Lyon

doctorpimp

:o
Those are some F'd up wires...
Glad you found the problem  ;D
'73 Coupe, 470, Keisler 5spd, 3.55 SG; Petty Blue; Hideaway Headlights.

www.cardomain.com/ride/2119216

Nacho-RT74

I think the problem iiiiiiiiis:

burned/broken/sulfated violet and red wires up to headlights on harness :D :D :D :P :P :P
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

hemihead

Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

73Charger

I'm with the mouse idea - comfy warm in the insulation - AHhhh - look at this fine grass to chew on!  ;) seriously - it would make me think about looking a little deeper for similar problems caused from infestation. Its made me think.
1973 Charger SE 318 060 over, edel 1405, added elec choke, Mallory CD Ignition, Hdrs, to Dual Ravin Exhaust, Go-Wing
Restoring for cruising. I drive her during the summer.