News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1968 Charger 318 water pump w/o air size shorter than w/air

Started by Charger68Rick, October 23, 2022, 07:53:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger68Rick

Bought a 68 Charger project. The p/s and alternator belts dont line up with the water pump pulley. The water pump pulley needs to go back about 3/4 of an inch. Is the non a/c water pump shorter?

70 sublime

All the pulleys need to come from the same set up either with or with out air conditioning pump
The water pumps are all the same size on the outside but will have one more blade on the pump side in the water

Even the pulley on the crank can have a different spacing to it depending if engine has air conditioning and or power steering  They all have alternator and water pump pulley

Pretty sure the power steering pump will be a belt just for that and another belt for alternator and water pump

Found a couple pictures
One has fancy chrome pulleys but you can see a bit better how they go
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Alaskan_TA

Do you have a single groove crankshaft pulley on it now?

PS can be driven directly from a dual groove pulley.

With PS & AC, you may need a 4 groove pulley.

You should also have an alternator with a twin groove pulley.

A lot could have been changed over the years too, 1969 up style timing cover / water pump etc., so a photo or three of your set up would help?

Charger68Rick

I'm not able to load pics or reply?? It just says this??  Sorry! There is already an attachment with the same filename as the one you tried to upload. Please rename the file and try again.

Charger68Rick

Here's my current configuration, you can see the power steering pulley is being covered over by the water pump pulley.

Charger68Rick

Two More Photos

70 sublime

Looks like the power steering pump will line up with the crank pulley with a short belt just for that

I think your alternator is too close to the engine block
Looks like it is pulling the frame it sits mounts in towards the block
You might need a little spacer or some washers between the alternator and the engine block on the top long bolt that it pivots on

Kern Dog

Quote from: Charger68Rick on October 24, 2022, 10:44:18 AM
I'm not able to load pics or reply?? It just says this??  Sorry! There is already an attachment with the same filename as the one you tried to upload. Please rename the file and try again.

The site is terrible for posting pictures.
If you post a picture and then want to post the same picture again some other time, you have to change the name of the picture file or it kicks it back. I don't know why. I'm not a tech guy but no other forum that I have been on has this weird problem.

70 sublime

Looking at the pictures you did get posted maybe you need an alternator with the twin pulley and run the belt on the out side pulley to line up the belt better

Charger68Rick

I think I could use spacers to move the alternator forward and solve that problem but I still would not be able to install a P/S belt to the crank because of the water pump pulley. I should probably pull the fan pulley off and see if there are washers or something in there. Has anyone ever seen the compressor and bracket in pictures 669 and 670 installed on any 318 engine?

Charger68Rick

Here's an update to the situation:

I have removed the pulley and fan the water pump pulley rides over the top of the crank pulley by about a 1/4 inch. The current pulley water pump pulley measures 2 and 11/16 inches from the face to the rear of the pulley groove. I need the pulley groove to move aft about 1/4 to 1/2 inch. I have enough room behind the current configuration to allow that without it hitting the water pump. Does anyone know if there is a pulley available that would measure 2 and 15/16 inches  to 3 and 3/16 inches from front to the back of the pulley groove. I think that would solve my problem here.

A383Wing

are you sure you have the correct lower crank pulley for your accessories? Looks like the P/S pulley doesn't line up with the middle groove on the crank pulley

Charger68Rick

You could be right about the crank pulley but that's the problem. I am not sure about anything right now. This is how I got the car and I'm trying to find the easiest way to get things to line up. It seems if I could get a deeper water pump pulley it would solve both problems on this 318. My current water pump pulley is roughly 2 11/16 inches deep. Is that about the same as yours? If they make my same water pump pulley 3 inches deep I think all would be fine. I have room behind between the pulley and the pump.  How much clearance do you have behind your water pump pulley before it would contact something? Thanks to you and everyone else for the reply's!!

A383Wing

I can't give you an answer about how deep the water pump pulley is on my car because I sold it last year.....I know that they make specific pulleys for engines and usually must be used as a matched set.

I also noticed that the two inner grooves on your crank pulley are the same size and width, yes?? Looks like it to me.....the crank pulley on my car had a wider groove for the power steering belt because the belt is wider ...at least it was on my cars...your belts look the same width

Looks like your alternator, water pump, and crank pulley are all out of alignment.....they need to be aligned to get maximum bite on the side of the belts. You shouldn't need spacers for the alternator to align it up

I think you have a set of mis-matched pulleys on your car

Bryan

Charger68Rick

Thanks for the reply! Yes they do seem to be the same width. Can you point me in the right direction for an affordable set of 318 pulleys?