News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Header instal question

Started by Smoke20, May 27, 2006, 09:56:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smoke20

Hey,

Sorry for a rookie question, but I'm installing Hooker super comps on my small block 318, and I was wondering if I should hang 'em metal to metal against the motor, or should I use some sorta gasket or some RTV to prevent leaks?

I've not done alot of my own work on cars, so this is uncharted territory for me.

Thanx!

Kevin
It's MoPar or No Car!  :drive:

'69 Dodge Charger - Black primer
01 Dodge Intrepid R/T 3.5L Magnum V6 36K
05 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT Inferno Red, Loaded

dodge freak

You only go metal to metal with cast iron manifolds not headers. I use the factory type that has metal on one side and paper on the other if they have each port by it self some share the middle ports and are no good. I used rtv on both sides and face the metal side to the motor. After it runs a few minutes I retighten the bolts up. They say not to use the factory type gaskets and I did not for a long time but I have found that they work fine if you use the rtv and are much cheaper. Fel-pro makes great gaskets too. Maybe if I had hooker supers I would use those. Always use the rtv on both sides it helps out alot. The red or black both work good. Get yourself a few good small wench's like from S & K open end type and always use new bolts made for headers with a small head. They have to be tight or the header will leak and sound bad.

Smoke20

Kevin

dodge freak

On the gaskets get the type that has a metal core. Some are all paper and blow out if you have mufflers. Why they even make those I have no idea. :rotz:

Chryco Psycho

most metal core gaskets wil fail quickly too , the best are the Alum or copper gaskets , neither of these will blow out with heat / flame

Smoke20

Hmm, The Hookers came with gaskets. I guess I shoulda opened the box first....  :-[
Kevin

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Smoke20

Well, I changed the starter while I was at it. The old manifolds came out without a fight and I shoulda known that if it was that easy, something was gonna screw me.

It did.

I couldn't get them in from the top like another thread had mentioned, and I couldn't get the car high enough in my driveway to get the F-in' headers in.

Scratched the shit outa them tryin.
Kevin

Chryco Psycho

Smoke20

Nope.

If the car ran, I could drive up on some wheel ramps, but that's not the case.

I needed a starter and I wanted headers, so I ordered a starter a while ago, and my wife got me the headers and a full summit exhaust syetmem for my 35th b-day. Nice, huh?  :icon_smile_big:

Anywho, I took the old manifolds off and removed (read... cut) the old pipes off the manifolds. Now I've got rusted out pipes in the trash, scratched up headers with a full exhaust system still in the box in the back seat off a non running car. :flame:

I'm bustin my ass to get her running and it's frustrating as hell to fail at something, not because you don't have the skills, but because your F-in' jack wont go any higher.
Kevin

Plumcrazy

I'd throw the starter and mainfolds back on temporarily and drive the car up on ramps.

Did you have the right motor mount through bolt removed and the engine jacked up to install the passenger side header?
I know Heddman's will go in that way.

Have fun  :icon_smile_big:

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

BigBlockSam

i've had some hard times installing headers but that was on big blocks. i would have thought that it would be easier on small blocks. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

dodge freak

On my small block the steering linkage has to come out for the drivers side and yes it goes in from the bottom. If the jack won't go high enough use a block of wood, the put a jack stand under it. Think it could run with no manifold but don't let it get hot cause the ex. valves could warp from the cool air, at least somebody told me that once.