News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Original Paint Color

Started by mopar4don, November 18, 2022, 10:33:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mopar4don

So I am looking at T7 (dark bronze poly) for my 69 Charger

When I compare this T7 color to the different manufactures chip charts (Ditzler/PPG, Dupont, martin senour) The T7 colors look different to me.

I know I am looking at pictures on ebay, and sometimes these colors can appear different. But does anyone know which brand did Dodge use?

70 sublime

Going through a bunch of paperwork that came with my 68 Coronet this page seems to have been with the car since new to say the paint they used on it
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

mopar4don

I have not heard of Cilux enamel

VERY Interesting  :scratchchin:

hemi-hampton

My 1970 Charger info say's Acrylic Enamel. LEON.

hemi-hampton

4 Different Paint Vendors used in this 70 Paint TSB.  LEON.

mopar4don

So Chrysler used different paint manufactures. So I guess what I need to do is to get my hands on the paint chips from the different manufactures and then pick one I like.  :yesnod:

Leon, You have a vast knowledge of all things mopar!

Thank you  :2thumbs:

JimShine

It is all of that, but paint mixing technology was all very crude back then. It was done by volume. This is why you can get a same paint color OEM part and the color is just different enough to draw your eye to the replaced part. Or in the old days how you could see touchups as it took a talented mixer with a good eye to tweak the touchup paint to match.

Decades ago with the transition to computer matching, each paint company created their own "idealized" versions of the mixed paint and they became the new universal standard. Sometimes the new version is very close to what was intended, sometimes it is pretty far off in my opinion. The best you can do is have them scan the paint off a real part in the exact color you want replicated and have it mixed. Then you wont have to rely on a companies rendition of the color you want. You can get the exact color you want.

doctor4766

Quote from: hemi-hampton on November 19, 2022, 12:35:45 AM
My 1970 Charger info say's Acrylic Enamel. LEON.
Not meaning to hijack the thread, but what is this TURN SIGNAL SWITCH LANE CHANGE feature that's mentioned on the safety features list?
Gotta love a '69

A383Wing

Quote from: doctor4766 on November 21, 2022, 06:37:46 PM

Not meaning to hijack the thread, but what is this TURN SIGNAL SWITCH LANE CHANGE feature that's mentioned on the safety features list?

means that you can push or lift the turn signal lever just enough to operate the turn signal lights without having it lock into position. Then after lane change, just take your finger off the lever and it will return to center. This feature started on the 67 cars from Mopar

Bryan

doctor4766

Quote from: A383Wing on November 21, 2022, 06:51:28 PM
Quote from: doctor4766 on November 21, 2022, 06:37:46 PM

means that you can push or lift the turn signal lever just enough to operate the turn signal lights without having it lock into position. Then after lane change, just take your finger off the lever and it will return to center. This feature started on the 67 cars from Mopar

Bryan
Ahh ok. Makes sense.
I don't remember my '69 being that way though.
Thanks, Bryan
Gotta love a '69