News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The forum upgrades

Started by Kern Dog, February 15, 2023, 05:07:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kern Dog

I was surprised to see no warning that the site would be down during the upgrades.
The site has been a "go-to" for my Charger specific interests. GOOD to see that it is back.
Maybe the procedures to post pictures has improved? It is annoying to have to rename a picture every time I wasnt to post it more than once.
Thanks!

Kern Dog

Yeah...I tried 4 pictures and all of them bounced back as an unrecoverable file.

birdsandbees

1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

birdsandbees

1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241

birdsandbees

Still only allowed 400KB though..
superbirdbentdoorpt8 025.jpg
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241

Golden-Arm

another forum making unneeded/unwanted changes (simply for the sake of change itself) that will ultimately drive more users away, making it even deader than it was before the change... :scratchchin:

Kern Dog

Cowabunga

b5blue

I think it's fine! THANKS TROY!!  :cheers:

birdsandbees

..and now the "load a picture" is gone...
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241

Troy

I was trying to block access while I was working out the kinks but the picture uploads got by me. I'm still adjusting settings. After 5 days of fighting failed uploads and loooooooooong backup/restore processes, I need a break. I know you guys like to bitch about a "dead" site but there are millions of posts and nearly a half million file uploads to shuffle around when doing something like this. The site still gets a few million hits per month - there's just not *as much* user interaction as there once was. But all that history is still there. So thanks for those who appreciate it.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Troy

Quote from: Golden-Arm on February 15, 2023, 09:32:30 PManother forum making unneeded/unwanted changes (simply for the sake of change itself) that will ultimately drive more users away, making it even deader than it was before the change... :scratchchin:
This was more than needed. Most all of the "backend" stuff running the site is nearly a decade old and moving beyond "end of life" from a support standpoint. I've been running this site since 2005 and have only done major upgrades 3 times - and I took over the site because the previous owner botched an upgrade and nuked the entire site! The reason there isn't more routine upgrades has to do with the terrible upgrade process of this forum software in particular.

Troy

Troy

Quote from: birdsandbees on February 15, 2023, 08:36:21 PMStill only allowed 400KB though..
superbirdbentdoorpt8 025.jpg
Gimme a day top breathe and I'll see what I can adjust.

Troy

Troy

Quote from: Kern Dog on February 15, 2023, 05:07:35 PMI was surprised to see no warning that the site would be down during the upgrades.
The site has been a "go-to" for my Charger specific interests. GOOD to see that it is back.
Maybe the procedures to post pictures has improved? It is annoying to have to rename a picture every time I wasnt to post it more than once.
Thanks!
The site wasn't supposed to be "down"  :smilielol: That was what they call in the software industry an "undocumented feature". Tests on the backup system went perfectly and averaged about 45 minutes. The real thing catastrophically failed at nearly every step. To the point where I eventually had to wipe the entire server clean and start from scratch. This process averaged 7-8 hours for each attempt because all the files had to be whisked across the internet instead of pulled off a local hard disc.

Troy

Troy

Good(ish) news! The "unique file name" problem appears to have gone away. Same with losing all your uploads whenever an error happens with the post. It seems to handle it gracefully and lets you resume.

Troy

AKcharger

Kern Dog

Thanks for the efforts.
Too bad you couldn't integrate a LIKE function. It is nice to show some appreciation to those that contribute a lot. Tan Top is one that posts a lot of great pictures.

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

kent

Yes A like button would be nice for sure. Thanks for all the efforts!  Yes we would be dead if we didn't whine from time to time. Glad you can over look it.
So glad you were able to save all the old files.  Such a bank of knowledge.

Kent

mopar4don

4cruzin

I have nothing to complain about . . except maybe the fact that Troy has not made it to Carlisle lately! 
Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

Hemidog

Thanks Troy, I was worried for a while when I got the 404 message yesterday  :icon_smile_big:

If the unique filename and 400kb thing will be solved, that would be awesome!

richRTSE

Thanks Troy! There is a ton of useful information here and it would be a shame to lose it. Your time and work is greatly appreciated! :cheers:

Just 6T9 CHGR

Thanks for the update Troy.  I just had to use the zoom feature in Chrome because the site was so small...getting old ya know ;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Todd Wilson

Troy will you be able to change the look of the forum after things smooth out? I really liked the old forum colors and how it looked compared to a lot of other generic looking forum software out there as it appears now?

Todd

Nacho-RT74

Nice you are working on keep the board alive!

Just a question... are private messages lost? Or will be recovered?... just wondering.

EDITING:
NEVERMIND... I simply didn't get how to reach the PM section at first instance
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html