News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Will a 69 charger steering box fit a 75 Dart?

Started by Back N Black, February 20, 2023, 04:06:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Back N Black

69 charger power steering box and 75 Dart power steering box, can they be interchanged?

Wingnut426

Early up to 72 has a small stem where the pitman arm bolts to, 73 up uses a large stem. So basically no, they don't interchange. WINGNUT
HEMI Daytona Convertible

Back N Black

Quote from: Wingnut426 on February 20, 2023, 05:30:24 PMEarly up to 72 has a small stem where the pitman arm bolts to, 73 up uses a large stem. So basically no, they don't interchange. WINGNUT

Can I use a small stem pitman arm on the Dart to accommodate the Charger box?

Kern Dog

Maybe.
The 1973 model year was a big year for change in the A body line. The steering linkage changed along with the steering box splined shaft size, the K members were redesigned, the strut rods, sway bar, 11" disc brake design all were changed too.
The 67-72 pitman arm used the small spline but the attachment to the center link used a stud that pointed UP, 1973 and later were like the B body lines where the stud points DOWN.
B body pitman arms are similar to the 73-76 A body style, maybe close enough to work.
I have several idlers and Pitmans from A and B cars and aside from the shapes being slightly different, I think they will physically interchange but not be factory correct.
Once you replace an original part with a replacement, the "correct" aspect goes out the window sometimes anyway.

Back N Black

I just replaced the stock steering box on my charger with a Borgeson unit. It still good, no leaks. The box on my Dart leaks, so I figure use it on the dart.