News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Manual brakes, front disc, rear drum, proportioning valve?

Started by UH60L, April 29, 2023, 01:21:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UH60L

I haven't been on the site for awhile.  My rear diff ate itself back in 2017 and I am just now getting it fixed.  Not much has been done to my car since, but now that I'm gonna be driving it again, I want to make sure the brakes are working right.  My car is a 69.  Originally it was a 318 car, but got swapped to a 440 some 20 years before I got it in 2004.  It has manual steering and manual brakes (IE not power).  It had drums front and rear, but I changed the front to disc and also put in a new master cylinder.  I never put in a correct proportioning valve (combination valve).

I honestly never even looked to see if it had one.  I did notice that the brakes worked but the back ones tended to lock up very easily (I'm guessing from too much pressure...).

Pretty sure it has the 10 inch drums on the back.

So I guess my first question is did '69 chargers with 4 way drums and manual brakes have a proportioning valve?

Secondly if I buy the correct one, will it fit without having to swap out some of the metal brake lines or what all do I need?

Also, I am looking at part number MD2268 on Classic Industries, is that the valve I need?

Any help would be appreciated.

Clint

b5blue

Dino

Keep the stock distribution block, install an adjustable proportioning valve in the rear brake line between master and distribution block, and install a 10 lb residual valve in the rear brake line behind the distribution block. That should do it.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

UH60L

I appreciate the replies, but I guess I'm wondering what the factory setup would look like on a 1969 Charger R/T with front disc brakes.  Preferably pictures of such a setup.

I'd like to go with as close to what would have been stock as possible, with the least amount of "cutting and cobbling in" as possible (partly because I've never done any of that and have no idea how...)

I bought a combination valve, but the more I investigate, the more I think I bought the wrong one...

Dino

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

b5blue

UH60L