News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

thoughts on new 727

Started by rare69, May 29, 2006, 12:34:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rare69

looking to buy a new automatic trany for my 496 stroker motor.and don't trust anybody around here to build one.the motor has 553 horsepower and 660 pd ft of torque, don't need a full race trany,its going to be a street car.but would like to buy one that will hold up.need the converter stall speed to be 2500.any thoughts on what to buy?

dodge freak

Don't give up on the local trans shops. Don't go to a big name place, look for a small shop thats in to racing. My trans guy has a few pictures of his drag car in the office. B & M sounds good but the race ones will shift too hard. I would look around your town, the 727 is a great trans that been around along time, so you might find something by your house.

General_01

Don't go to TCI. Try Cope. I have heard good things about them.

Also, check with RalleyeMike at this thread:  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,14074.0.html
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

TylerCharger69

For the record....and my opinion from experience......TCI trannies blow goats!!!

General_01

From my recent experience too. :flame: That's why I said don't go with TCI. :down:
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

rare69

thanks for the heads up on tci i found a couple outfits im gonna call. turbo action, smr, and cope. have you any advice on which is better?

TylerCharger69

cope  would be my 1st choice

Silver R/T

I just had mine rebuilt with TransGo TF2 shift kit. Not sure how much power it'll hold but I guess Ill find out when it breaks :)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

RD

rallyemike has a CRT Pro Street tranny for sale for $950.  I would jump on that one if I were you. Check the parts for sale sub-forum on this site.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

firefighter3931

68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

RallyeMike

Quoterallyemike has a CRT Pro Street tranny for sale for $950.  I would jump on that one if I were you. Check the parts for sale sub-forum on this site.

Buy my trans !   ;D  2/3 the price of new and no core charge !
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

BlueSS454

I had a local guy to the TH400 in my SS Chevelle after I blew the first one up, not a problem since.  He's been building race trannys for 30+ years and he'll build you whatever you want.  I'll be taking the 727 from my 69 to him this summer for a rebuild.  Prices are pretty reasonable too.  It cost me just over a grand for a pro street built TH400 with an ATI converter.
Tom Rightler

deputycrawford

I called A&A trans and had Rick Allison build one for me. He also had Dynamic build me a 9 1/2 inch 3500 stall converter. It only stalls to 1800-2200 at part throttle. I love all of it. I would have him build another if I ever need one. They are in many of the magazines. He's in Indiana.  If you don't like what he has to say then go with someone else. aandatrans.com  He does love his Chrysler transmissions.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

rare69

hey, thanks for all the help guy's i think i will just buy ralley mikes trany and learn to shift backwards.  :icon_smile_big:

dodge freak

It easier than shifting forward. No worry about hitting neutral when shifting from 2nd to 3rd. Once you get used to it you won't want to go back. :yesnod:

Ghoste

A&A or Cope.  I think A&A make a lot of the specialty parts that the other race shops use don't they?

deputycrawford

Ghoste, Yes, I think they do. I got mine with a forged drum instead of the powdered metal drum. I got many other things and it still shifts on its own If I choose. They also have different shift fork ratios etc. Check them out.http://aandatrans.com/
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

rare69

well i made the drive to seattle and bought ralley mikes cope racing trany, looks really nice! and seemed like a really nice guy with mopars all around the place which told me he must be a pretty good guy. :yesnod: