News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Starter keeps running and engine won't shut off.

Started by Dino, June 11, 2023, 07:16:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

I had installed a DB mini starter years ago but never fired up the engine. Today I finally did, and after setting rpm to 2000 to break in the cam, and checking around for leaks, I heard a funny noise over the exhaust that I couldn't place. I looked around and it came from somewhere under the engine. Before I could figure it out, an impressive amount of smoke started billowing out from under the engine. I turned the key to shut it off, but all it did was stop the noise and smoke. The engine kept running with the key off and it sounded great. Turns out the starter never shut off and it fried! So I have a starter that engages with key in crank, and continues in run. And with the ignition off, the engine kept running. I installed the Edelbrock Pro Flo 4. I had already changed a lot of the electrical prior to this and didn't really make many changes. Any idea where to start?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

XH29N0G

I would check which wires are live when the key is live.  My guess is that it is something with the starter, but if it is something with a wire then it is worth knowing.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Dino

I must have done something wrong at the ignition switch.

b5blue

Start at the relay on the firewall. The interlock that supply's ground is suspect?  :scratchchin: 

Dino

Years ago I upgraded the underhood wiring. I needed a constant 12v source for something so I got rid of the ballast resistor, tied blue and brown at the ignition switch together, and ran a single wire from to the voltage regulator, coil, and alternator. Everything ran fine like that. I then installed all the power window and lock stuff, and that needed constant 12 volt as well so I added it to the same wire. The ECU for the Edelbrock EFI also needs constant 12 volt so for testing I added the wire to the same wire again. So now I have blue and brown wire at the ignition switch tied together that then runs to the alternator, the coil +, the voltage regulator, the EFI ECU, and the DEI power addons. On the Edelbrock forum someone said that the coil + should only have the wire from their ECU. I'm not sure that is the issue, and if it is then how do I fix it? Oh and when I drove the car with the upgraded electrical I still had the stock started. The one that didn't shut off was a new DB mini starter. Maybe i wired it wrong somehow.

Dino's-Wiring-Mod - Copy.jpg

metallicareload99

Sounds like your car's wiring has been modified similar to how mine was >>> I had ignition 1 and 2 spliced together for a couple years and I never had any issues.... though I had concerns that the starter would get stuck on, it never happened.

How is your starter and starter relay hooked up? Also are you running an external ignition box and computer controlled timing?
1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth

b5blue

Consider drawing +12 from ALT. output to a fused distribution block. Use control relays under the hood for what you can.

Dino

The Edelbrock ECU controls timing. There is no ignition box. Starter relay is wired stock. Starter should be as well, unless I messed that up. I need to check.
I work late tomorrow but I'm off Wednesday. I'll draw up everything as it is now.

Dino

Ok so this is weird. I removed the wire that goes to the coil, and only left the Pro Flo ECU wire on it, and it starts and runs. And the starter shuts off in run. I guess I no longer need that wire. So now I have ign 1 and 2 tied together because the balast resistor is gone. From there it went to the voltage regulator, coil, and alternator. The coil wire is now out of the mix.

b5blue

Dino