News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Car wash soap and vinyl decals...

Started by UH60L, June 24, 2023, 12:37:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UH60L

I may have asked this on here years ago but can't remember or find it.  Is there a particular brand or type of car wash soap that is safe, or safer, to use on a Charger with vinyl decals? (so you don't damage the decals)  You know like the tail stripes or the general lee graphics etc etc.

I know some waxes will cause dark colored vinyl decals to turn white.  My car has the General Lee decals and I probably won't be financially able to replace them for a long time... so I want to make them last as long as possible...

I see a lot of car wash soaps going to "ceramic" which I am guessing would be bad on decals.  I was using the "Turtle Wax Ice" brand and it was working great, but it got discontinued...

Dino

Hot water, dawn dish soap, clay bar from time to time. No need for anything else.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

birdsandbees

1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

Dino

Quote from: birdsandbees on June 24, 2023, 03:12:39 PMDawn will strip the wax as well...

Right. From the post I got that he just wants something to clean the car that is safe for the decals.

UH60L

Quote from: Dino on June 24, 2023, 05:59:28 PM
Quote from: birdsandbees on June 24, 2023, 03:12:39 PMDawn will strip the wax as well...

Right. From the post I got that he just wants something to clean the car that is safe for the decals.

Yes, correct.  That's what I'm looking for. 

On that note, the clay bar would only be used on the paint, correct?  I've used one before on a different car, and I wouldn't think that would be healthy for the decals.

Dino

AKcharger

Cash wash soap isn't the biggest threat, it's WAXING THE DECAL, that's what you have to avoid.

DownZero

Use any quality ph neutral car wash soap. DO NOT use dish detergent. I use either chemical guys spray butter wax or Turtle wax ice and shine. Never had any discoloration with the decals.

JimShine

Talk to the decal vendor that made your decals for their suggestions. They will know what attention their product requires.

I always had mine plotted from cast materials, not printed. They didn't require any special attention.